10227Re: [carfree_cities] Re: DPZ's latest

    May 4, 2007
      Hi All,

      Dawie said:

      >There's no better model than the medieval agrarian village - for a
      >working agrarian community. Are these buyers really going to farm?
      >Will they even be allowed to?
      >There is one thing lacking in the legacy of the Arts and Crafts
      >movement, namely a creative appreciation of medieval urban forms. It
      >belatedly needs to be redressed: but this doesn't quite do it.

      I should perhaps already have mentioned that Carfree Design Manual
      nearly carried the sub-title: The New Medievalism. I'm not going
      to use that, as it will confuse many people. There are, however,
      a great many advantages to medieval urban arrangements, and I'm
      pleased to see that some people are recognizing this, even if
      the result is imperfect.