10205Metro in power failure

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Apr 4, 2007
      Thinking recently about emergency planning, it came to my mind: what
      happens to a metro in a power failure? A few thoughts come to mind:

      - In Joel's carfree city prototype, what's the maximum number of metro
      and metro-freight trains that would be in operation at any given
      moment? What would the maximum power consumption be?

      - In the event of a municipal utility failure, what happens with the
      metro? Are the trains able to glide without power to the next station
      to allow a total evacuation without making passengers walk through
      tunnels?

      - Is an emergency diesel or NG generation system out of the question
      for a metro to keep it running? My school has a roughly 80 kW propane
      generator to run the elevator, fire pump, emergency lighting, phone
      system, and intercom. I assume a metro would need _slightly_ more. *grin*

      I'm assuming, though, that Joel's carfree city probably has all the
      electric lines underground, reducing storm-related failures. By the
      way, where would the metro's maintenance area be? In edge utility
      districts?

      BTW, for a city the size of Joel's prototype, would a dedicated city
      power plant be called for?
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic