10144Re: [carfree_cities] The Zen of Cars, Bikes, and Feet

  • Jym Dyer
    Jan 24, 2007

      Read poetry.
      Make peace with all except the motorcar.
      Cars suck. Ride your bike.
      -- Schwinn ad copy

      A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the
      market, riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the
      monastery and had dismounted, the teacher asked the students,
      "Why are you riding your bicycles?"

      The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack
      of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my
      back!" The teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart
      boy! When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over like
      I do."

      The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and
      fields pass by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended
      the second student, "Your eyes are open, and you see the world."

      The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content
      to chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the
      third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly
      trued wheel."

      The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in
      harmony with all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and
      said to the fourth student, "You are riding on the golden path
      of non-harming."

      The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my
      bicycle." The teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and
      said, "I am your student!"

      -- From _The_Quotable_Cyclist_ (Bill Strickland)

      The Other Way of Lao-Tsu: A journey of 1000 miles occasionally
      begins with the realization that 1000 miles is a hell of a long
      way to walk.
      -- Cartoon in _National_Lampoon_

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic