10124The Zen of Cars, Bikes, and Feet

    Jan 22, 2007
      Hi All,

      About 35 years ago, a "Desiderata" made the rounds of
      poster shops and became a staple of American culture.
      I see the need for a similar cultural artifact, today
      updated for the Internet. I want to publish a draft in
      the next Carfree Times and try to get people to spam
      their friends with it. It needs to be 3-4 times as big
      as the draft, and much better. The slogan that starts
      "However big your engine" is at the outer limit of
      length. Four-word sentences are best.

      Here's the working draft. I would like to have thoughtful,
      pithy, literate additions to this draft. We can do it
      here on the list. When we get an advanced draft, I'll
      put a copy on the World Carfree Network list for further
      comment.

      If we make this really good, it can be a culture-shaping
      instrument that will take on a life of its own.

      Regards,

      Joel

      "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for
      the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells

      "Driving makes you stupid." Tim

      However big your engine, however many gears in your transmission,
      however large your saddle tanks, your genitalia will be no larger,
      faster, or more enduring.

      Buying a new car only makes you poorer, not more popular. Or happier.

      Riding a bike is not anti-American.

      Driving an SUV is anti-American, no matter how many American flags
      you stick on it.

      Walking is not a shameful activity.

      Drivers of big cars must assume responsibility for protecting
      others in smaller cars. Especially those in no car at all.

      One minute of bike pedalling is more exercise than an hour of
      pushing on the gas pedal. Even if you push really hard.

      Love a cyclist, not a car.

      etc.