10042Re: [carfree_cities] Light-Free, Car-Free Day - Idea Factory

    Dec 2, 2006
      On Dec 2, 2006, at 2:46 AM, Eric Britton wrote:

      > So, what to do in those places in 2007 where they decide to turn
      > off the
      > traffic lights for the day and have a go at this interesting idea?

      We had an inadvertent light-free day in LA during the last big
      earthquake. Watched cars just drive through now-uncontrolled
      intersections and run into each other repeatedly. I'd suggest
      putting giant yellow inflatable domes in the middle of each
      crossing. Or park a D-50 there.

      Doesn't a group in San Francisco regularly "rent" pay parking spaces
      by the 25-cent piece and have lunches, concerts, readings, etc. in them?

      > Even better perhaps if we can do something around whatever is the
      > large
      > visible object we pop there. For example turn it into a bit of
      > convivial
      > public space. Maybe with a couple of potted plants. An all day poetry
      > reading from a chair and media link. Maybe a get up like the
      > following
      > from the terrific Rebar group --
      > http://www.rebargroup.org/projects/parkingday/index.html -- but this
      > time in the middle of the intersection.
      >

      > Anyway, you get the idea.
      >
      > Anybody ready to run with this?
      You should see if you have local members of Reclaim the Streets!
      handy. They do this sort of thing in England a bit, I believe.

      http://rts.gn.apc.org/

      Rick

      http://www.rickrise.com
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com