Re: City Of Milwaukee

  • Sscitymilw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 1999
      Alan Bessey sites....

      Good sites. Nice pictures of our little "fixer-upper project..."

      Here is a correction (please let me know if I'm wrong on anything).

      The Madision was laid up in 1976, after the US Coast Guard ruled it was
      unseaworthy. It was scrapped in 1994.

      The Grand Rapids was scrapped in 1994, at the same time as the Madison.

      The GT operated carferries briefly from Grand Haven in 1946. This was due to
      technical difficulties at Muskegon (sand car through the apron)...

      City of Milwaukee was the last GT vessel in service, operating into October
      of 1978. in November (11th if I remember correctly) she steamed to Elberta
      to begin working on the Ann Arbor. In May of 1979 the GT sold her to the
      Michigan Department of Transportation for $1. She last operated in August of
      1981. After the AA ceased carferry operations, she was sold by the state to
      the City of Frankfort for $2 on December 13, of 1984. After Frankfort's
      project could not be completed (politics...), the Society for the
      Preservation of the SS City of Milwaukee purchased the vessel on October 17?
      of 1988 for $2. The SPCM has owned the ship for over 10 years, and now has
      clear title to the vessel.

      While museum development plans are progressing (a $621,000 fundraising effort
      is underway), the ship is now only open to society members or project
      stakeholders. Tours were once given in 1991 by tugboat. These were popular
      but had to be discontinued. Tours were resumed in 1998 and over 5,000 people
      toured the vessel. The SPCM is presently applying for a special use permit
      to resume tours. The first version was voted down by the Village of Elberta,
      and a revision is underway. MSU is funding a feasibility study for the
      project, funding the $28,000 cost.

      George P. Micka IV.
    • Alan Bessey
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 1999
        George,
        Thanks for the update! I'll see my source (Dad) next week and relay
        this to him.

        Are you aware of any internet pages devoted to the Grand Trunk carferry
        operations?
        Al

      • Sscitymilw@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 1999
          Alan.Bessey@... writes:

          << George,
          Thanks for the update! I'll see my source (Dad) next week and relay
          this to him.

          Are you aware of any internet pages devoted to the Grand Trunk carferry
          operations?
          Al

          There aren't any that I am aware of. Max Hanley is thinking of adding a GT
          section to the City of Milwaukee pages (carferry.com). Max recently added a
          section on the Ann Arbor, but still has a few gaps to fill there, too. I
          have a few pictures that can go on a site.

          George
        • Alan Bessey
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 1999
            Sscitymilw@... wrote:

            > From: Sscitymilw@...
            >
            > In a message dated 4/2/99 7:12:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > Alan.Bessey@... writes:
            >
            > << George,
            > Thanks for the update! I'll see my source (Dad) next week and relay
            > this to him.
            >
            > Are you aware of any internet pages devoted to the Grand Trunk carferry
            > operations?
            > Al
            > >>

            > There aren't any that I am aware of. Max Hanley is thinking of adding a GT
            > section to the City of Milwaukee pages (carferry.com). Max recently added a
            > section on the Ann Arbor, but still has a few gaps to fill there, too. I
            > have a few pictures that can go on a site.
            >
            > George

            > If you like orange and blue, then you will love our new web site!
            > http://www.onelist.com
            > Onelist: Fostering connections and information exchange
            > The Carferry List is sponsored in part by the Society for the Preservation of the S.S. City of Milwaukee.

            Turns out that Trackdog's page has some info on the GT lines.

            Thanks for checking.

            Al
          • Sscitymilw@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 1999
              Did anyone see the article in Wednesday's issue of the Detroit Free Press,
              about the SS City of Milwaukee? How about the one last weekend in the Grand
              Haven Tribune about the Milwaukee Clipper, and subsequent TV-13 news report?

              Thanks,

              George P. Micka IV.