RE: [carferry] Badger Paint

  • Max Hanley
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2000
      Hi Roger,

      The Badger was painted in the new scheme in the spring of 1997. If anyone
      is interested, I can post some photos of the painting project.

      Max

      "Say that I loved old ships -- write nothing more
      upon the stone above my anchorage.
      And they who read it will know I loved the roar
      of the breakers in by-gone sailing days."

      Capt. W.H. VanDyke
      STR PM 22, 1935
      <http://www.carferries.com>

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2000
        Max,

        if no one else, I'd be interested in seeing them. Maybe I can get some ideas for painting the CLIPPER.

        By the way, I'll be in Ludington Friday evening. Myself, and two others, are taking the 7:45 sailing on the Badger. Going to Ripon, Wisconsin to get a half model of the CLIPPER at a church camp. Supposedly, the thing is 24 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 6 feet high. Not sure yet where we will put it on the boat.

        Anyway, we hope to get to the dock about 6 or 6:15, driving a Ryder truck, and I'll probably be wearing a green jacket with "S.S. MILWAUKEE CLIPPER, an emblem of the boat, and Muskegon, MI" embroidered on the left hand chest (the jacket's, not mine).

        Until later,

        Chuck

        PS Attached is a picture of the CLIPPER that I took last Saturday, and a picture of a model of her that was built for me back in 1981 by a good friend who had sailed on JUNIATA.

        >>> msh@... 08/01/00 10:48AM >>>
        Hi Roger,

        The Badger was painted in the new scheme in the spring of 1997. If anyone
        is interested, I can post some photos of the painting project.

        Max

        "Say that I loved old ships -- write nothing more
        upon the stone above my anchorage.
        And they who read it will know I loved the roar
        of the breakers in by-gone sailing days."

        Capt. W.H. VanDyke
        STR PM 22, 1935
        <http://www.carferries.com>

        In what year did the Badger receive her new paint with the red and it looks
        like gray stripe?

        Roger Kujawa - Morton, Il.
        ark@...

        *** ** *******
        ** **
        ____ ___ ___
        \| () ()| / A / / A / ___
        _______|___ |____/ /____/ /___________| ()() \___
        \
        \
        \ # o o o o o o
        \__

        }

        The Carferry List is sponsored in part by the Society for the Preservation of the S.S. City of Milwaukee.
      • Max Hanley
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2000
          Hi Chuck,

          I'll get some scanned tonight and send a link! I'll see if I can catch you
          at the dock Friday evening. I may even have the file done for you! Where
          is the model, on the ship?

        • sscitymilw@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2000
            Hi Chuck,

            If you could carry it topside, might be worth checking with LMC to see if you
            could display the model during the return trip. Be a good conversation
            piece. Might be able to display some brochures next to it too.

            If you see any models of the CofM available please let us know. Heard
            stories about people taking 3+ years to build one. Worked 7 years on the 1
            to 1 scale model and still have a long way to go!

            See ya,

            George
          • Max Hanley
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2000
              Probably the best place to display it would be in the Maritime Museum (if
              it'll fit). You may want to stand guard to make sure no one tripped over it
              or got too close.

              Max

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2000
                Max & George,

                It all depends on the weight of the thing. At 24 feet long and 6 feet high there has to be some weight to it. I'm taking Duane Kooman and James Moore with me and they're the ones that are going to have to wrestle with it.

                I'm not sure how a church camp would come to have a half model of the MILWAUKEE CLIPPER, but, apparently, someone connected with the Wisconsin & Michigan Steamship Company must have had a connection with the camp as they've had it for some time. The person I'm dealing with has no idea, however. I'll post a picture or two of it when I get back.

                The model in the photo that I sent earlier also has a history. That model, by the way, is here in my office in Lansing (along with some other Great Lakes memorabilia that I have on display). Ajnyway, it was built by William F. Rapprich, now deceased, who was the Marine Manager for the Cleveland Cliffs Iron Company.

                In the mid 20's Bill sailed aboard the JUNIATA as watchman. About 1979 he and I became acquaiinted when he read one of my articles about the CLIPPER. As time went on we became good friends. Anyway, he started to build a model of the JUNIATA, three feet in length, and had completed the hull and part of the superstructure when he decided he didn't like the way it looked. So, in February of 1981 he and I went to Chicago and spent the better part of a day aboard the CLIPPER while Bill took measurements, etc. When he returned to Rocky River the JUNIATA superstructure was removed and the MILWAUKEE CLIPPER superstructure put on.

                Bill presented me with the model in September of 1981, and I had it on the mantle of the fireplace in my home on Mackinac Island. In 1983 when I went to Chicago I took the model with me and it was displayed in the Main Lounge on the boat.

                In 1986 when I left the CLIPPER I left the model there on loan to Jim Gillon. Unfortunately, when Gillon lost the boat (the real one) he also lost the model. The next thing I knew was that the model, like the real boat, had been sold to Hammond. Not a lot I could do, although I was upset to say the least.

                When the MILWAUKEE CLIPPER was moved to Muskegon I started making noises about the model to various board members. Jim Plant knew of the model and was aware that it was mine. On July 6th the model was returned to Jim, and on the 7th of July I brought it back here to Lansing with me. Needless to say since then it hasn't been out of my sight, other than when I go home and on weekends. It will be displayed aboard the boat for some parties, but the rest of the time it will be here in Lansing with me.

                Sorry, I guess I've rambled, but got started on this and didn't know when to stop.

                Hopefully, we'll make connections Friday. Still no rush on the file.

                Chuckl

                >>> msh@... 08/01/00 01:31PM >>>

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2000
                  Here are a few photos from the painting of the BADGER in the spring of 1997:

                  http://www.carferries.com/paint/BadgerPaint01.jpg - bow view.
                  http://www.carferries.com/paint/BadgerPaint02.jpg - the smokestack (black).
                  http://www.carferries.com/paint/BadgerPaint03.jpg - painting the stack
                  (red).
                  http://www.carferries.com/paint/BadgerPaint05.jpg - 1 man working, 3 men
                  watching.
                  http://www.carferries.com/paint/BadgerPaint06.jpg - painting the gray & red
                  stripes.
                  http://www.carferries.com/paint/BadgerPaint07.jpg - the stack masked off,
                  ready to paint the LMC logo.

                  I'll try to get some more loaded up tonight.