DETROIT FERRY OPERATIONS

  • mec-bml@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 20, 2014

      GREETINGS AND A BLESSED EASTER TO ALL: I have a modeling question,the railroad ferries operated across the Detroit River to Winsdor,anyone have data on what the landings on either side looked like(need data for modeling in HO scale)I have the Hilton book on the CarFerries but in those books no details on the landings and since there not tidal(like in NY Harbor)they have to be of a different type(which I have no knowledge of).....

      Thanks for any help

      Joel Norman--Missouri

    • John A Campbell Md
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 20, 2014
        Joel, happy Easter to you. Check out Google Earth views along the Detroit River both on the US and Canadian sides. You can see the carferry slips! I think they have some photos, too.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Apr 20, 2014, at 6:15 AM, <mec-bml@...> wrote:

        GREETINGS AND A BLESSED EASTER TO ALL: I have a modeling question,the railroad ferries operated across the Detroit River to Winsdor,anyone have data on what the landings on either side looked like(need data for modeling in HO scale)I have the Hilton book on the CarFerries but in those books no details on the landings and since there not tidal(like in NY Harbor)they have to be of a different type(which I have no knowledge of).....

        Thanks for any help

        Joel Norman--Missouri

      • steve johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 20, 2014
          Hi Joel
          Happy Easter!
          The slips in Detroit and Windsor are built just like the lake ferry slips l(like the 2 AA slips in Frankfort) with the exception that they are both aimed down river. I think there are pictures of the Windsor, Detroit, Manitowoc, Landsdowne and Huron river ferries in Hiltons book. Maybe even more.
          Hope this helps
          Steve