st mary's challenger

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2013
      The Chicago press is reporting that the contract has been let to convert the St Mary's Challenger to a barge. Are her Skinners useful to the Badger as parts?

      Bob Blaus
    • Ken Ottmann
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2013
        Unfortunately they are not.  Challenger engine is closer in design to 41 than 42/43, but when 41 was about to be scrapped the Challenger engineers came over and decided there was enough difference to make parts interchange not possible.
        Ken O

        The Chicago press is reporting that the contract has been let to convert the St Mary's Challenger to a barge. Are her Skinners useful to the Badger as parts?

        Bob Blaus
      • dcramer02
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2013

           Am I remembering correctly that the Smithsonian was interested in acquiring the Challengers engine as a museum piece? Seems I read that some years ago.

        • Robert Strauss
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2013
            I never heard the Challenger, but I do remember reading that at one time they were interested in the E.M. Ford's (quad) engine. As to why they never got it, I do not know. Museums were also interested in the engines out of the Henry Ford II (early diesel) & the Cuyahoga (Lentz-Poppet) but no one could come up with the money to transport them.

            To: carferry@yahoogroups.com
            From: djcramer@...
            Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 20:18:24 -0800
            Subject: [carferry] RE: st mary&#39;s challenger

             Am I remembering correctly that the Smithsonian was interested in acquiring the Challengers engine as a museum piece? Seems I read that some years ago.

          • John Belliveau
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2013
              I thought is was the quadruple out of the E.M. Ford the Smithsonian wanted, but nothing ever seem to come of it....

              To: carferry@yahoogroups.com
              From: djcramer@...
              Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 20:18:24 -0800