Viking, Ann Arbor ferry

  • odalton90
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 9, 2013
      It has been posted on another site that cutting on the ship has started. Anyone have pics or info on her fate? Thanks !
    • falconblayze
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 24, 2013

        Dammit...if there was EVER a ferry that could be refurbished and used in the manner that the Badger is being used, it's the Viking. Frankfort is ready for such a cross-lake service too...bad, bad timing.

        ---In carferry@yahoogroups.com, <carferry@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        It has been posted on another site that cutting on the ship has started. Anyone have pics or info on her fate? Thanks !
      • JJ
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2013
          If anybody wants to see pics of the Viking being cut down go to the Boatnerd site. They have about 16 pics of the "progress" on the ship.
        • falconblayze
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2013

            What if we DON'T want to see the Viking cut down? Frankfort is making it's mark on the map as a true resort town...it would be wonderful to have seen someone convert the Viking such as was done with the Badger...there is, or certainly will be the market for a cross-lake car ferry out of Frankfort....so sad, dammit.

            ---In carferry@yahoogroups.com, <carferry@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            If anybody wants to see pics of the Viking being cut down go to the Boatnerd site. They have about 16 pics of the "progress" on the ship.
          • Lee Barber
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2013
              You couldn't do that! What would they do with all of that nasty coal ash??? Besides, It must be done in the name of progress. Maybe someone should ask that politician from Illinois, he'd most likely help cut the thing up.
                Lee.
              What if we DON'T want to see the Viking cut down? Frankfort is making it's mark on the map as a true resort town...it would be wonderful to have seen someone convert the Viking such as was done with the Badger...there is, or certainly will be the market for a cross-lake car ferry out of Frankfort....so sad, dammit.
              ---In carferry@yahoogroups.com, <carferry@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              If anybody wants to see pics of the Viking being cut down go to the Boatnerd site. They have about 16 pics of the "progress" on the ship.
            • Les bagley
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 6, 2013
                No coal ash... The Viking was a diesel powered modernization of the last AA bout built.

                Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 6, 2013
                    Hyperbole and sarcasm do nothing to advance the cause of carferries. Hurts the credibility of the discussions.

                    The Viking, I believe, was re-engined with diesel and turbo-electric drive. In about 1964-1965 when she was extensively modified in Superior and renamed from Ann Arbor No 7. Doesn't/didn't use coal in her operation at all. Ran that way until about 1982. The then-C&O chose to stay with coal because coal companies were its major customers.

                    Michael D. McGuire
                    Grand Rapids, MI
                    mdmcguire@...

                  • Lee Barber
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 6, 2013
                      Thank you very much for the history lesson but you don’t get it yet…Perhaps my hyperbole and sarcasm does seem to lean towards the Hon. Senator Dick form Illinois but that is just my opinion but I live by the tried and true saying, “He who is the enemy of my enemy is my friend but the friend of my enemy is my enemy.” And if you wish to stand by this liberal tree hugger blow his false facts and figures to the public that is your option. Myself. I will go down fighting this and any attempt to put the torch to the Badger. When his braggart statements finally put an end to the last of the most magnificent boat to ever grace Lake Michigan and no one can fish the lake anymore because his attention is not on his own states problem with the many other sources of pollution that is oblivious to his sight you might want to go down to the Sixth St. dam and watch the Asian Carp that will eventually pour from the Chicago River unchecked. But rest assured, that sorry excuse for a ferry will get you across the lake still, except in heavy weather or ice or the delays or the many excuses not to run.