Outer Boundary Magazine: Durbin vs. Badger

  • bc-rail@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2013
      While riding the Badger this weekend, the crew alerted me to an article in the Spring 2013 issue of Outer Boundary Magazine that deconstructs the "environmental" war against the Badger.

      Editor Steve Krueger examines the Badger's ash output and makes a convincing argument that the heavy metals released are in such trace amounts that they are insignificant, especially considering how many coal-fired power plants line Lake Michigan's western shore. (I can count seven off the top of my head: State Line, Will County, Waukegan, Pleasant Prairie, Oak Creek, Sheboygan and Pulliam.) I noted that the Chicago Tribune, while accusing the Badger of dumping ash "concentrated" with heavy metals, never took the responsible step of reporting what the actual amounts were.

      Krueger goes a step farther by following the money, establishing a link between the lobbying efforts of Lake Express and Sen. Dick Durbin. I think many of us suspected this, but it was most interesting to see it documented in the magazine.

      You can find the article here:
      http://outerboundarymagazin.wix.com/outer-boundary#!article-3/c16gd

      If the above link doesn't work or loads too slow, the Ludington Daily News did a good job of summarizing the article:
      http://www.ludingtondailynews.com/news/70828-magazine-ties-anti-ss-badger-lobbying-effort-to-competition-not-environmental-concerns

      The Badger may overcome this hurdle by installing an ash capture system, but I fear this won't be the last "environmental" attack against her.

      If you'd like to see the Badger continue sailing, help our friends and our cause by helping to get the word out. Thanks very much.

      Bill Christopher
      Waukegan, Illinois (won't be voting for Durbin anytime soon)