A good bunch of guys

  • wpelky
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 2013
      I want to give a shout out to a couple of guys on here who go out of their way to help.

      Art Chavez was kind enough to give me some guidance on my SS Badger model. He clued me in on color schemes for the time period I am building to. That will make it a better model than it otherwise would have been.

      Bob Kalal came through big time on the SS City of Saginaw model. He provided drawings and research material from his collection. This weekend he shot photos and provided dimensions for the lifeboat davits on the City of Milwaukee. Now davits can be made for the City of Saginaw.

      Guys like these make my hobby fun and whole lot easier.

      Many thanks guys.
    • Nancy Keith
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 12, 2013
        Great guys. And thanks for letting us know of their kindnesses. Too
        often we don't hear that side of the stories...

        Nancy

        On 8/12/2013 8:55 PM, wpelky wrote:
        > I want to give a shout out to a couple of guys on here who go out of their way to help.
        >
        > Art Chavez was kind enough to give me some guidance on my SS Badger model. He clued me in on color schemes for the time period I am building to. That will make it a better model than it otherwise would have been.
        >
        > Bob Kalal came through big time on the SS City of Saginaw model. He provided drawings and research material from his collection. This weekend he shot photos and provided dimensions for the lifeboat davits on the City of Milwaukee. Now davits can be made for the City of Saginaw.
        >
        > Guys like these make my hobby fun and whole lot easier.
        >
        > Many thanks guys.

      • Les BAGLEY
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 12, 2013
          Both these guys are massive sponges of Great Lakes ferry information. They soak up every drop of it they can find, and then freely and willingly wring it back out for anyone with a thirst for ferryboat knowledge. Hats off to bot of them, and a personal thank you as well for sharing so kindly in our area(s) of interest!

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Aug 12, 2013, at 7:03 PM, Nancy Keith <keithnancy@...> wrote:

          > Great guys. And thanks for letting us know of their kindnesses. Too
          > often we don't hear that side of the stories...
          >
          > Nancy
          >
          > On 8/12/2013 8:55 PM, wpelky wrote:
          > > I want to give a shout out to a couple of guys on here who go out of their way to help.
          > >
          > > Art Chavez was kind enough to give me some guidance on my SS Badger model. He clued me in on color schemes for the time period I am building to. That will make it a better model than it otherwise would have been.
          > >
          > > Bob Kalal came through big time on the SS City of Saginaw model. He provided drawings and research material from his collection. This weekend he shot photos and provided dimensions for the lifeboat davits on the City of Milwaukee. Now davits can be made for the City of Saginaw.
          > >
          > > Guys like these make my hobby fun and whole lot easier.
          > >
          > > Many thanks guys.

        • Pepsi24Tony5
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 13, 2013
            I Appreciate ALL the good words from you Great People.
            I LOVE the Carferries, when I get something new or old to share, I do it as fast as I can.
            I like to see the reactions & responses to things that I posted, & hope to see a long list of posts asking questions & getting answers. It's always a learning experience on so much of what goes on here.
            I look everyday for something new. Try my best to make new friends on all the web pages to share with & get back new/old stuff. Chat thru e-mails, phone, Facebook whatever, & then to meet them in person is even better.
            There has to be SO much out there on the History of the Carferries, just have to find those individuals & ask them to share their photos, experiences, info etc.
            Or to get Art Chavez to write a few more books(LOL)
            When I get something, you get something.
            Thanks A Whole Bunch Again.
            Bob Kalal

            --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, Les BAGLEY <divcoclub@...> wrote:

            > Both these guys are massive sponges of Great Lakes ferry information. They soak up every drop of it they can find, and then freely and willingly wring it back out for anyone with a thirst for ferryboat knowledge. Hats off to bot of them, and a personal thank you as well for sharing so kindly in our area(s) of interest!
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Aug 12, 2013, at 7:03 PM, Nancy Keith <keithnancy@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Great guys. And thanks for letting us know of their kindnesses. Too
            > > often we don't hear that side of the stories...
            > >
            > > Nancy
            > >
            > > On 8/12/2013 8:55 PM, wpelky wrote:
            > > > I want to give a shout out to a couple of guys on here who go out of their way to help.
            > > >
            > > > Art Chavez was kind enough to give me some guidance on my SS Badger model. He clued me in on color schemes for the time period I am building to. That will make it a better model than it otherwise would have been.
            > > >
            > > > Bob Kalal came through big time on the SS City of Saginaw model. He provided drawings and research material from his collection. This weekend he shot photos and provided dimensions for the lifeboat davits on the City of Milwaukee. Now davits can be made for the City of Saginaw.
            > > >
            > > > Guys like these make my hobby fun and whole lot easier.
            > > >
            > > > Many thanks guys.

          • Cindy Medley
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 14, 2013
              Hi Guys,

              I hope you can give another information beggar a bit of help, lol!  I am trying to find blueprints or builders drawings of the auto ferry "The Straits of Mackinac".  I've written a few likely spots but haven't heard anything yet.  Thanks!!

              Cindy

              ________________________________

              On Aug 12, 2013, at 7:03 PM, Nancy Keith <mailto:keithnancy%40t-one.net> wrote:

              > Great guys. And thanks for letting us know of their kindnesses. Too
              > often we don't hear that side of the stories...
              >
              > Nancy
              >
              > On 8/12/2013 8:55 PM, wpelky wrote:
              > > I want to give a shout out to a couple of guys on here who go out of their way to help.
              > >
              > > Art Chavez was kind enough to give me some guidance on my SS Badger model. He clued me in on color schemes for the time period I am building to. That will make it a better model than it otherwise would have been.
              > >
              > > Bob Kalal came through big time on the SS City of Saginaw model. He provided drawings and research material from his collection. This weekend he shot photos and provided dimensions for the lifeboat davits on the City of Milwaukee. Now davits can be made for the City of Saginaw.
              > >
              > > Guys like these make my hobby fun and whole lot easier.
              > >
              > > Many thanks guys.

            • Les Bagley
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 14, 2013
                The Straits of Mackinac was built in 1938 by Great Lakes Engineering
                Works in River Rouge. Most of their original drawings are now housed in
                the collection of Bowling Green University in Ohio. Have you tried there?
                Les B

                On 8/14/2013 2:55 PM, Cindy Medley wrote:

                > Hi Guys,
                >
                > I hope you can give another information beggar a bit of help, lol! I
                > am trying to find blueprints or builders drawings of the auto ferry
                > "The Straits of Mackinac". I've written a few likely spots but haven't
                > heard anything yet. Thanks!!
                >
                > Cindy
                >

                > ________________________________
                > From: Les BAGLEY <divcoclub@...

              • Les Bagley
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 14, 2013
                  Ooops. Mistyped that. She was built in 1928 not 38
                  Les

                  On 8/14/2013 8:02 PM, Les Bagley wrote:

                  > The Straits of Mackinac was built in 1938 by Great Lakes Engineering
                  > Works in River Rouge. Most of their original drawings are now housed in
                  > the collection of Bowling Green University in Ohio. Have you tried there?
                  > Les B
                  >
                  > On 8/14/2013 2:55 PM, Cindy Medley wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Guys,
                  > >
                  > > I hope you can give another information beggar a bit of help, lol! I
                  > > am trying to find blueprints or builders drawings of the auto ferry
                  > > "The Straits of Mackinac". I've written a few likely spots but haven't
                  > > heard anything yet. Thanks!!
                  > >
                  > > Cindy

                  > > From: Les BAGLEY <divcoclub@...
                  > <mailto:divcoclub%40silverlink.net>
                  > > <mailto:divcoclub%40silverlink.net>>
                  > > To: "carferry@yahoogroups.com <mailto:carferry%40yahoogroups.com>

                • Cindy Medley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 15, 2013
                    Thank you Les; I've sent them an email but haven't heard back.  I will try them again :-)

                    Cindy