GT Logo

  • Robert Strauss
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18, 2013
      Anyone know when the GT 'spaghetti' logo was first applied to the Grand Trunk boats?

    • Pepsi24Tony5
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18, 2013
        in my photos, I have the Grand Rapids & Madison in March 1964 with GT on bow. I have CofM in Feb 1965 with GT on bow.

        --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, Robert Strauss <ss43bob@...> wrote:

        > Anyone know when the GT 'spaghetti' logo was first applied to the Grand Trunk boats?

      • Randy Yeo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 19, 2013
          Not sure exactly but it was early 60's when they adopted the new CN color scheme on the locomotives. Previously the locos were an olive green with yellow trim. The CN colors on the boats (black hull with white stripe, white cabins, blue, white, & red stacks) was phased in sometime in the mid to late 50's but still had Grand Trunk Milwaukee Carferry Co. on the bow until the GT came in the early 60's.
          In the pics you sent me, I found a picture of Grand Rapids with the new colors but black railings like we're currently doing and also C of M with green hull and blue, white, & red stacks. I sent them to Linda to verify the authenticity of the current scheme.
          Hope to see you and everyone else in August at the annual,
          Randy

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 19, 2013
            I don't have any information specifically regarding the logo's application to GTW ferries, but as a frame of reference the CN developed the "wet noodle" logo in 1961 and the GT version of this logo first appeared on new boxcars delivered in early 1962. Would the logo have been applied to the boats sometime within that same year?

            Somewhat related, the transition from red funnels with blue and white bands to the blue funnels with red-orange band would have taken place late 1971-early 1972, at which time the CN formed a separate holding company for its US holdings (GTW, DW&P, CV). The same red-orange and blue paint colors that first appeared on GTW locomotoives at this time were also applied to the funnels of GTW carferries.

            So you might say that the paint scheme currently being applied to the City of Milwaukee will represent roughly the 1962-1972 time period.

            dh
            --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, Robert Strauss <ss43bob@...> wrote:

            > Anyone know when the GT 'spaghetti' logo was first applied to the Grand Trunk boats?

          • Jerry Klopfer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 19, 2013
               Usual GTMCFC practice was to start chipping and painting the ferries in the spring as weather allowed. Only 2 boats were used on a regular basis and often the spare boat was leased to AA. It would return to GT at some point in the spring or summer so repairs and inspections could be make to all three. The crew of which ever regular boat was tied up for inspection first would get to then paint the spare one. There are photos documenting Grand Rapids and Madison with the noodle in March, 1964, so a logical assumption is that it was first applied during the 1962 or '63 painting seasons. The Grand Rapids was withdrawn from service following a storm in late February or March of, I think, 1972 and it never received the orange-red and blue funnels. So again, a good assumption is that the change in color occurred during the next painting season.

              Jerry Klopfer