Badger/St Mary Challenger

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2013
      I am not an expert, so I am asking the group. The St. Mary's Challenger has Skinners of similar vintage to the Badger. Why doesn't the Badger change fuels to oil?

      Bob Blaus

    • Robert Strauss
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2013
        I was told this by one of the Badger's engineers: when the C&O had the Badger built, they specified a firebox design that was far larger than what was needed. When the boiler supplier suggested a better design the C&O basically said either you build what we want or we'll go to someone who will. The engineer told me that now, to cut consumption of coal, they have parts of the fireboxes partitioned off (apparently even as built the Badger was not too fuel efficient, but coal was cheap for the C&O back in the 50s) but to convert to oil would pose so many problems (the boat would be a fuel pig, for one) LMC decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

        Moreover, it's my understanding that per EPA regs the type of oil the Badger would need to fuel with will be phased out around 2020 anyways so not much point at this time to try to convert to oil.

        To: carferry@yahoogroups.com
        From: bblaus@...
        Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 09:57:07 -0400
        Subject: [carferry] Badger/St Mary Challenger