pere marquette / city of midland #41

  • Michael Shirey
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 13, 2012
      I posted new and recent pics of whats left of the city of midland car ferry 41#. it is now the pere marquette bardge and pushed be the tug daughted. I rode this ferry in jULY 1988 from Kewannee,Wi. to Lugionton,MI.
    • Erik Jonasson
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 14, 2012
        An absolute crime what they did to such a beautiful ship ! Thank you for the post.

        Best Regards,

        erik

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 15, 2012
          YES VERY TRUE..SAME GO FOR THE CHIEF WAWATAM AND OTHER OLDER FERRYS THAT COULD OF BEEN SAVED..WERE IS THE SPARTEN AT?..IS IT STILL DOCKED IN LUDINGTON,MI.?

          --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, Erik Jonasson <cmstpps@...> wrote:

          > An absolute crime what they did to such a beautiful ship ! Thank you for the post.
          >
          > Best Regards,
          >
          > erik

        • Nancy Keith
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 15, 2012
            S S Spartan has been docked in Ludington for (??) years. She is
            adjacent to the access road for the S S Badger, so you can see her
            easily, and also from the deck of the Badger when you are on board that
            ship.

            It is very hard to see what condition she is in, and to know how much
            she has been skeletonized. If you have a million or two in loose
            change, we still think it would be neat to turn her into a restaurant /
            B&B combination and bring her back to life.

            Nancy
            from Ludington

            P S - Thanks for posting your pictures, Mike.

            On 8/15/2012 4:18 PM, Michael Shirey wrote:
            > YES VERY TRUE..SAME GO FOR THE CHIEF WAWATAM AND OTHER OLDER FERRYS THAT COULD OF BEEN SAVED..WERE IS THE SPARTEN AT?..IS IT STILL DOCKED IN LUDINGTON,MI.?
            >
            > --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, Erik Jonasson<cmstpps@...> wrote:
            >> An absolute crime what they did to such a beautiful ship ! Thank you for the post.
            >> Best Regards,
            >> erik

          • Max Hanley
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 15, 2012
              The Spartan has been in layup in Ludington I believe since 1979.

              Max

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 15, 2012
                I would trust what you say, Max. It's been a long time.

                Nancy

                On 8/15/2012 7:37 PM, Max Hanley wrote:
                > The Spartan has been in layup in Ludington I believe since 1979.
                >
                > Max
                >
                > On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Nancy Keith<keithnancy@...> wrote:
                >
                >> **
                >>

                >> S S Spartan has been docked in Ludington for (??) years. She is
                >> adjacent to the access road for the S S Badger, so you can see her
                >> easily, and also from the deck of the Badger when you are on board that
                >> ship.
                >>
                >> It is very hard to see what condition she is in, and to know how much
                >> she has been skeletonized. If you have a million or two in loose
                >> change, we still think it would be neat to turn her into a restaurant /
                >> B&B combination and bring her back to life.
                >>
                >> Nancy
                >> from Ludington
                >>
                >> P S - Thanks for posting your pictures, Mike.
                >>

                >> On 8/15/2012 4:18 PM, Michael Shirey wrote:
                >>> YES VERY TRUE..SAME GO FOR THE CHIEF WAWATAM AND OTHER OLDER FERRYS THAT
                >> COULD OF BEEN SAVED..WERE IS THE SPARTEN AT?..IS IT STILL DOCKED IN
                >> LUDINGTON,MI.?
                >> for the post.

              • Michael Shirey
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 15, 2012
                  YES I WOULD BELEVE THAT MYSELF I RODE "AS A KID" THE CITY OF MIDLAND IN 1988 AS I SED FROM A PRYOR POST I MADE AND I SAW THE BADGER AND SPARTAN AND BADGER LAYED UP IN LUDINGTON,MI. DIDNT KNOW TILL THIS POST THAT THE SPARTAN WAS STILL AROUND..GREATTO KNOW...WHAT IS GOING TO BECOME OF HER?..IS SHE BEING USED FOR PARTS FOR THE BADGER?

                  --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, Max Hanley <d18authentic@...> wrote:

                  > The Spartan has been in layup in Ludington I believe since 1979.
                  >
                  > Max
                  >
                  > On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Nancy Keith <keithnancy@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > S S Spartan has been docked in Ludington for (??) years. She is
                  > > adjacent to the access road for the S S Badger, so you can see her
                  > > easily, and also from the deck of the Badger when you are on board that
                  > > ship.
                  > >
                  > > It is very hard to see what condition she is in, and to know how much
                  > > she has been skeletonized. If you have a million or two in loose
                  > > change, we still think it would be neat to turn her into a restaurant /
                  > > B&B combination and bring her back to life.
                  > >
                  > > Nancy
                  > > from Ludington
                  > >
                  > > P S - Thanks for posting your pictures, Mike.
                  > >

                  > > On 8/15/2012 4:18 PM, Michael Shirey wrote:
                  > > > YES VERY TRUE..SAME GO FOR THE CHIEF WAWATAM AND OTHER OLDER FERRYS THAT
                  > > COULD OF BEEN SAVED..WERE IS THE SPARTEN AT?..IS IT STILL DOCKED IN
                  > > LUDINGTON,MI.?

                  > > for the post.

                • Harry S
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 16, 2012
                    This past June my wife and I were camping outside of Charlevoix, right on Lake Michigan. We saw the tug Undaunted and the Pere Marquete 51, and I got several pictures.

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/37972473@N02/7508826558/in/photostream

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/37972473@N02/7508826738/in/photostream

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/37972473@N02/7508826410/in/photostream

                    According to boatnerd.com, it had a load of flyash for delivery in Charlevoix. I presume it was going the the St Marys cement plant in Charlevoix.

                    Harry
                  • Michael Shirey
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 16, 2012
                      FOR ALL TO SEE I ADDED A NEW PIC I BOUGHT IF "THE CITY OF MIDLAND FROM THE 1950'S..ENJOY!!!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 16, 2012
                        Very Nice !

                        Erik