Arthur K. Atkinson fuel bunker/tanks

  • sherwin1958
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hello does anyone in the group have any capacity information on the AKA's fuel bunkers/day tanks? I need to get some information on the capacities for tomorrow as some one is looking for the info and nothing can be found left onboard to determine the numbers. Thanks any help asap would be greatly appreciated. -Steve
    • nyc21295
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2012
        Steve,

        I have a copy of Revision No. 2, dated March 27, 1958 of the originial specification for the AKA. Under M-24 - Fuel Oil System are the following:

        - "Fuel oil bunkers of about 350 tons total capacity shall be installed in the compartment forward of the bolier room, as shown on plan."

        - "Two fuel oil day tanks, each about 2500 gallons, shall be located on top of fuel oil bunkers. One day tank shall serve the main engines and the other day tank shall serve the auxiliary engines."

        I do not know if there were any more revisions made to the specification.

        Hope that this is what you are looking for.

        Stephen McMillan

      • SH71382@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2012
          Any idea what the tons per gallon would work out to, looking at the fuel gauges in the boiler room it appears that both tanks are divided into inner and outer tanks, where the inner tanks are heavy fuel oil and the outer wing tanks are diesel, is there any information on that? This information gets me farther than I was before, also each gauge says do not fill over 100 inches of fuel in each tank, whatever that means lol. Thanks. -Steve

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2012
            Steve,

            Came across another bit of information on the next page:

            "The main bunkers shall have seperate compartments for a total of about 5,000 gallons of No. 2 fuel."

            In the left hand margin next to this sentance is a handwritten note. All that is written is "12000 gal". Do not know any more.

            Stephen