Capt. William Bacon

  • Robert Strauss
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1 7:00 PM
      Linda SpencerSS CITY of MILWAUKEE
      Another sad note for our carferry family. Capt. William Bacon has passed away. I will post services and visitation times when I have the details.
      I have know Capt Bacon for the last 7 years and I always enjoyed his company. He always had a smile for me and he always made sure to stop and visit the City of Milwaukee when he drove to Manistee. He lived a long and full life but it is so sad we have lost one more of the great guys that lived the carferry life and did what they could to help pass on the history.

    • Robert Strauss
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5 8:07 PM
        Sorry for the delay in posting this.

        FRANKFORT � William "Bill" Bacon, went to meet his Lord Monday evening, Jan. 30, 2012, at The Maples.

        He was born July 8, 1929, the eldest of six children, to Glenn and Lillian Bacon. He was a graduate of Frankfort High School. After graduation he took short courses at M.A.C (now MSU). Other than serving in the U.S. Army for two years, he lived and worked most of his life in Benzie County, with a few years in Ludington.

        Bill spent his working life in the merchant marine, either on the waters of Lake Michigan or ashore in management positions. Some of his experiences and knowledge is documented in a book he was in the process of having edited and published. It will be available soon. He was one of the last of the Frankfort Car Ferry captains.

        Bill was a member of the Trinity Lutheran Church, Masonic Lodge and a former member of Rotary. He was also a life member of the Benzie Area Historical Society.

        He is survived by son, K.C., of Traverse City; daughter, Beth, of Nashville, Tenn.; sisters, Edythe Kirt, of Ludington, Frances Wyatt and Joyce Kirshner, both of Frankfort; brother, L.B. (Grace), of Manistee; numerous nephews, nieces and cousins. He is also survived by step-children, Chris (Wayne) Thom, Judy (Bruce) Sheets; and step-grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

        Visitation will be this evening, Feb. 3, from 5 to 8 p.m. at Jowett Family Funeral Homes in Benzonia. A Masonic Candlelight memorial service by Crystal Lodge #270 will be held at 7 p.m.

        Funeral service will be at noon Saturday, Feb 4, at Trinity Lutheran Church, with Pastor Rick Steive officiating. Burial will be in Gilmore Twp. Cemetery.

        Those desiring may make contributions to The Maples or Trinity Lutheran Church.