Viking's whereabouts

  • mark49858
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2010
      The Viking is currently docked at the K&K warehouse dock in Menominee Mi. Anybody know why it is here?
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2010
        It's owned by K&K, and last I heard is for sale for $2.2M.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 8, 2010, at 4:17 AM, "mark49858" <mdjorgensen@...> wrote:

        > The Viking is currently docked at the K&K warehouse dock in Menominee Mi. Anybody know why it is here?

      • Bernard
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2010
          Hi Mark,

          Viking has been there since about 2002. It belongs to K&K. They had plans to use it for hauling wood pulp, but, as far as I know, have never operated it.

          At the time they brought Viking there, K&K also had one of the former PM Detroit River carferries (I forget which one), which had been cut down to a barge and was used for lighering pulp wood cargos.

          Did you see the Viking? How does she look? Any sign that they are doing anything with her?

          - Bernard

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2010
            Recent photos on boatnerd.com show her looking pretty good, all things considered.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jul 8, 2010, at 1:17 PM, "Bernard" <bfh4n@...> wrote:

            > Hi Mark,
            >
            > Viking has been there since about 2002. It belongs to K&K. They had plans to use it for hauling wood pulp, but, as far as I know, have never operated it.
            >
            > At the time they brought Viking there, K&K also had one of the former PM Detroit River carferries (I forget which one), which had been cut down to a barge and was used for lighering pulp wood cargos.
            >
            > Did you see the Viking? How does she look? Any sign that they are doing anything with her?
            >
            > - Bernard
            >
            > --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, "mark49858" <mdjorgensen@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The Viking is currently docked at the K&K warehouse dock in Menominee Mi. Anybody know why it is here?

          • Robert Strauss
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 8, 2010
              The Viking's paint is a little weather-worn, but otherwise looks to be in good shape. The rails on the car deck were removed in the last year or two. The barge float is the 'Manitowac'. I read somewhere that something is preventing them from using it as they wanted, so it just sits there unused. I understand that the original engines are still in place.

              To: carferry@yahoogroups.com
              From: atsf1014me@...
              Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:32:25 -0400
              Subject: Re: [carferry] Re: Viking's whereabouts