Your favorite carferry?

  • mark_mathu
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2010
      What's your favorite Lake Michigan carferry? I have a completely unscientific poll -- just for fun -- on the home page at http://www.greenbayroute.com/.

      Arthur K. Atkinson (AA)
      Badger (C&O)
      City of Milwaukee (GT / AA)
      City of Saginaw (PM)
      Pere Marquette 21 & 22 (PM)
      Spartan (C&O)
      Viking (AA)
      Wabash/City of Green Bay (AA)
      Other

      The poll is open for the next two months. Enjoy! The current poll results are here:
      http://htmlgear.tripod.com/poll/control.poll?u=gb_route&i=46&a=vote
      __________
      Mark Mathu
      Whitefish Bay, Wis.
      The Green Bay Route: http://www.greenbayroute.com/
    • Bernard
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2010
        Mark,

        I voted for City of Milwaukee as the only one of the Manitowoc boats on your list. But, also not on the list, I've always been partial to old Ann Arbor number 6 (pre-Atkinson). A cute little boat!

        - Bernard

        Message 3 of 5 , May 17, 2010
          > I voted for City of Milwaukee as the only one of the Manitowoc
          > boats on your list. But, also not on the list, I've always been
          > partial to old Ann Arbor number 6 (pre-Atkinson). A cute little
          > boat!

          Because the poll is on a GB&W site, the list was narrowed to boats which primarily served Kewaunee in the modern (1924+) era.

          But there was a valid point made that City of Midland 41 should have been on the list - it was added. And to repent for my sin, I borrowed Hilton's book "The Great Lakes Car Ferries" from my library and brushed up on the history of AA & PM's Lake Michigan car ferries.

          __________
          Mark Mathu
          Whitefish Bay, Wis.
          The Green Bay Route: http://www.greenbayroute.com/
        • Steven Hanson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 18, 2010
            Re the Manitowoc boats, being there were six, PM21 and 22 were the first and second, of course, heavily modified,. I agree about AA#6, it was great in original configuration. I guess this doesn't have to be a secret ballot, so I voted for City of Saginaw 31. Actually, City of Flint was always my favorite, even though I never liked the black bridge wings and missing aft mast in later years.

            ==

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 8, 2010
              > What's your favorite Lake Michigan carferry? I have a completely
              > unscientific poll -- just for fun -- on the home page at
              > http://www.greenbayroute.com/.

              The poll is closed - here are the results!

              Badger 43 (C&O) 28%
              Spartan 42 (C&O) 15%
              City of Milwaukee (GT) 13%
              City of Midland 41 (PM) 11%
              Viking (AA) 11%
              City of Saginaw 31 (PM) 4%
              Arthur K. Atkinson (AA) 2%
              Pere Marquette 21 & 22 (PM) 2%
              Wabash/City of Green Bay (AA) 2%
              Other 11 (7%)

              Keep in mind that this pool was on a GB&W web site, so there probably was a little bias towards the Badger & Spartan, which were built in Sturgeon Bay - GB&W's home rails.

              Mark Mathu
              Whitefish Bay, Wis.