Re: September Gathering of Carferry Yahoo Groups Members Aboard Badger

  • Art Chavez
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2009
      Hi Bob,

      I have not asked LMC for a head count and won't do so until we get closer to the event. Past experience is that a lot of people make last minute reservations, so it's pointless at this time. I know that about twenty individuals have contacted me offline telling me that they will attend.

      I have no say over pilothouse tours, nor anything else on the ship. LMC has been kind enough to provide engine room tours, but pilothouse tours are affected by weather conditions, maritime law and the discretion of the captain.

      In any event, I look forward to showing these interesting design concepts, many of which have never been seen in decades, if ever, at least in public. And I am sure no one has ever gathered as many different drawings in a single presentation.

      I'll see you there, Bob.

      Regards,

      Art Chavez

      --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, "pepsi24tony5" <k.kalal@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >
      > > On Sunday morning Sept. 20th (the breakfast buffet is included in the cost of the room) we will take a discount price round trip to Manitowoc, leaving Ludington at 9 a.m., and arriving back at Ludington at 7 p.m. Sunday evening. We will be allowed to occupy our rooms during the entire round trip. Somewhere along the way the Badger's engineering staff will graciously give our group a tour of the ship's engine room.
      > >
      > > Snacks and beverages can be purchased aboard ship. I encourage those wishing to do so to bring their car ferry albums and photos to share during the trip. Anyone unable to make it for the programs Saturday night and the overnight B&B can join us Sunday for the round trip to Manitowoc.
      > >
      > > Please read carefully the information below regarding price and reservation instructions.
      > >
      > > I hope to see you there,
      > >
      > > Art Chavez
      > >

      > > In the Badger's lounge at 8 p.m. Saturday Sept. 19th will be two programs:
      > >
      > > Lost Horizons
      > > Great Lakes Railroad Car Ferry Designs Proposed but Never Executed 1892-1979
      > >
      > > Presented by Art Chavez
      > >

      > > Centennial
      > > Steaming Through the American Century
      > > St. Marys Challenger, Celebrating 100 Years on America's Inland Seas
      > >
      > > Presented by Chris Winters
      > >

      > > RESERVATION INFORMATION FROM LMC:
      > >
      > > Lake Michigan Carferry will offer a special discount to your group members on September 19-20, 2009. Listed below are guidelines to expedite your group's reservations, ticketing, and discount qualifications:
      > >
      > > Your group code is "Badger Buffs." When making reservations, changes, calling with questions, and claiming tickets, each individual must reference this code for discounted passenger fares.
      > >
      > > Reservations can be made together or individually through our main reservation system beginning July 13th by calling 1-800-841-4243. Please note that a $25 deposit is required at the time of booking.
      > >
      > > Your group members will receive the discounted rate of $65 per Badger B&B room on the night of September 19th (includes breakfast buffet and use of the stateroom round trip) and $69 per adult round trip on September 20th. Tours of the engine room are included as well.
      > >
      > > Sailing reservations must be made at least two days in advance of your departure and are subject to availability.
      > >
      > > We look forward to your group's arrival and welcome you aboard the S.S. Badger!

    • pepsi24tony5
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 11, 2009
        Hello Group,
        The reason I was wondering how many Yahoos have made there reservations, is for making up Name Tags. Putting the Names with the Faces. So we know who we are talking to, etc. If the people who are going to be on the cruise could e-mail me, I would be happy to make these Name Tags up for You. I will also be making blank Name Tags.
        These Tags will clip on. Let Me Know. Thanks. Bob Kalal

      • kc8sfq@mei.net
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 12, 2009

          <k.kalal@...> wrote:

          >> Hello Group,
          >> So, how many Yahoo's have their reservations made????
          >> Maybe we could get some kind of a head count.
          >> Bob Kalal
        • Art Chavez
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 12, 2009
            The name tag idea is excellent, as there are a number of people who are going that I have never met.

            Thanks Bob.

> [...]

            > > > Your group code is "Badger Buffs." When making reservations, changes, calling with questions, and claiming tickets, each individual must reference this code for discounted passenger fares.
            > > >
            > > > Reservations can be made together or individually through our main reservation system beginning July 13th by calling 1-800-841-4243. Please note that a $25 deposit is required at the time of booking.
            > > >
            > > > Your group members will receive the discounted rate of $65 per Badger B&B room on the night of September 19th (includes breakfast buffet and use of the stateroom round trip) and $69 per adult round trip on September 20th. Tours of the engine room are included as well.
            > > >
            > > > Sailing reservations must be made at least two days in advance of your departure and are subject to availability.
            > > >
            > > > We look forward to your group's arrival and welcome you aboard the S.S. Badger!

          • pepsi24tony5
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 20, 2009
              Hello Group,
              My idea of making Name Tags, I also thought, is a good thing, to know who is who. I have received 7 replies. Is that all thats going????????? PLEASE RESPOND SO I CAN GET THESE MADE UP. Instead of waiting till the last minute. Unless you don't want to be recognized.
              e-mail me. k.kalal@...
              Thank You. Bob Kalal

            • soden@manistee-net.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 29, 2009
                >Hello Bob & All,
                Please make nametags for Stephanie Oden & Ed Andrews. We are
                looking forward to meeting everyone, and seeing Art Chavez again.
                We enjoy all the historical information about the carferries. The
                knowledge base from this group is impressive. We look forward to
                chatting and spending an informative, fun evening together, as well
                as share our love affair with the SS Badger.
                Ed and I are are working on research for a book project about
                couples who have met and fallen in love by way of any carferry. We
                have discussed this with a few of you and received some helpful
                leads, but if you can think of anyone who might help us with our
                research, we'd appreciate it.

                Regards,
                Steph Oden & Ed Andrews

              • Robert VandeVusse
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 29, 2009
                  Please make a nametag for Bob VandeVusse. I may be a little late arriving
                  because my niece is getting married in Lansing Saturday afternoon and I'm
                  not sure how long the reception will last, but I will definitely be there.

                  Bob

                  On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 7:55 PM, pepsi24tony5 <k.kalal@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > and the overnight B&B can join us Sunday for the round trip to Manitowoc.

                  > reservation instructions.

                  > programs:

                  > 1892-1979

                  > Seas

                  > members on September 19-20, 2009. Listed below are guidelines to expedite
                  > your group's reservations, ticketing, and discount qualifications:

                  > changes, calling with questions, and claiming tickets, each individual must
                  > reference this code for discounted passenger fares.

                  > reservation system beginning July 13th by calling 1-800-841-4243. Please
                  > note that a $25 deposit is required at the time of booking.

                  > Badger B&B room on the night of September 19th (includes breakfast buffet
                  > and use of the stateroom round trip) and $69 per adult round trip on
                  > September 20th. Tours of the engine room are included as well.

                  > your departure and are subject to availability.

                • pepsi24tony5
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
                    Hello Group,
                    Time is getting close for the Badger Cruise. I have received 24 requests for name tags. Thanks to those for responding. I'm hoping there is more going. If you haven't got back to me yet, please do. Thank You.
                    Looking foward to this cruise. See Ya soon. Bob

                  • nyc21295
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 10, 2009
                      Bob,

                      Please add me to your list, and thanks for making the tags.

                      Stephen McMillan
                    • bfh4n
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 14, 2009
                        I'm looking forward to meeting everyone next weekend!

                        Would anyone be interested in getting together for dinner on Saturday?

                        The boat gets in at 7:00 and we probably want to go aboard as soon as we can. The presentations start at 8:00.

                        But before that we all need to eat, presumably at a local restaurant (us out-of-towners, anyway). Someone local would have to pick the restaurant. Also maybe help make arrangements. Or we could just pick a place and a time - say 5:30 - and see who shows up.

                        Anyone interested?

                        - Bernard
                      • pepsi24tony5
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 14, 2009
                          Are we hopeing for a rough crossing???
                          The dinner sounds good.
                          Bob

                        • kc8sfq@mei.net
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 15, 2009
                            > Are we hopeing for a rough crossing???
                            > The dinner sounds
                            good.
                            > Bob
                            +++++++++++++++++

                            We too, will be
                            coming in from the hinterlands and will need sustenance before the
                            evening's festivities begin. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Once a
                            couple of years ago, we stopped at a BBQ place up the street from the
                            boat. It was real good, but pricey out of proportion.

                            Don't
                            let my wife hear this, but a couple of bumps and rollers won't hurt MY
                            feelings.

                            Ron

                          • dasloganboot
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 15, 2009
                              Hi Bernard,

                              I'll be arriving on the Saturday afternoon boat from Wisconsin. Otherwise I'd be joining you for dinner. Also, the Badger Galley and Portside Bar in the main lounge will be open for purchasing snacks, light food and beer and soda until 11 p.m. For those who eat early, this is an option as well.

                              I look forward to spending a nice evening with everyone.

                              Art Chavez

                              --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, "bfh4n" <bfh4n@...> wrote:

                              > I'm looking forward to meeting everyone next weekend!
                              >
                              > Would anyone be interested in getting together for dinner on Saturday?
                              >
                              > The boat gets in at 7:00 and we probably want to go aboard as soon as we can. The presentations start at 8:00.
                              >
                              > But before that we all need to eat, presumably at a local restaurant (us out-of-towners, anyway). Someone local would have to pick the restaurant. Also maybe help make arrangements. Or we could just pick a place and a time - say 5:30 - and see who shows up.
                              >
                              > Anyone interested?
                              >
                              > - Bernard

                            • elwefel
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 15, 2009
                                All:

                                We will be coming in from VA and it sounds like a good idea to me.

                                Just post where and when.

                                PM Steamers is a good place, maybe too expensive for everyone.

                                Elly Wefel
                                Retired Railroader and
                                O Scale Modeler of the PM

                                --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, "bfh4n" <bfh4n@...> wrote:

                                > I'm looking forward to meeting everyone next weekend!
                                >
                                > Would anyone be interested in getting together for dinner on Saturday?
                                >
                                > The boat gets in at 7:00 and we probably want to go aboard as soon as we can. The presentations start at 8:00.
                                >
                                > But before that we all need to eat, presumably at a local restaurant (us out-of-towners, anyway). Someone local would have to pick the restaurant. Also maybe help make arrangements. Or we could just pick a place and a time - say 5:30 - and see who shows up.
                                >
                                > Anyone interested?
                                >
                                > - Bernard

                              • dan coburn
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 15, 2009
                                  Though I won't be able to make it, there is a Ponderosa a few miles down the road, prices and food are reasonable.
                                                                                                                           Dan Coburn

                                  ________________________________
                                  We will be coming in from VA and it sounds like a good idea to me.

                                  Just post where and when.

                                  PM Steamers is a good place, maybe too expensive for everyone.

                                  Elly Wefel
                                  Retired Railroader and
                                  O Scale Modeler of the PM

                                  --- In carferry@yahoogroup s.com, "bfh4n" <bfh4n@...> wrote:

                                  > I'm looking forward to meeting everyone next weekend!
                                  >
                                  > Would anyone be interested in getting together for dinner on Saturday?
                                  >
                                  > The boat gets in at 7:00 and we probably want to go aboard as soon as we can. The presentations start at 8:00.
                                  >
                                  > But before that we all need to eat, presumably at a local restaurant (us out-of-towners, anyway). Someone local would have to pick the restaurant. Also maybe help make arrangements. Or we could just pick a place and a time - say 5:30 - and see who shows up.
                                  >
                                  > Anyone interested?
                                  >
                                  > - Bernard

                                • Tom Crutcher
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 15, 2009
                                    There simply is not a finer restaurant in my opinion than The Old Hamlin,
                                    located about 4 blocks from the Badger. I come from Kentucky as much to
                                    eat at the Old Hamlin as to ride the Badger every year or so! I don't
                                    think I'll be able to make this crossing, but trust me on this, The Old
                                    Hamlin is not to be missed! (I haven't been since two years ago, I hope
                                    the recession hasn't done it in! Hopefully its still there!)
                                    Tom Crutcher, Richmond, KY