Ghost Ship

  • sscitymilw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      FYI. Appreciate any help you can provide. Ghost Ship is our single biggest
      fundraiser of the year.

      I had fun scaring people last year by mentioning the two bodies that were
      carried across on the car deck in 1936. This year I can also mention the woman
      who jumped over the railing in 1947 (and to my knowledge was never
      found...).

      George

      Manistee's 8th Annual Ghost Ship

      Every October, the S.S. City of Milwaukee becomes a frightening spectacle.
      Not much longer now, and the transformation will be complete. Manistee's
      GHOST SHIP 2008 promises to be the scariest,
      strangest Ghost Ship yet! You won't believe what you'll see!
      Drop by on Fridays and Saturdays in October, and you'll experience four
      stories of unsettling oddities, all within the confines of a 77-year old Great
      Lakes ship.

      Details:

      7:30 - 10:30pm

      Friday, October 3 & Saturday, October 4

      Friday, October 10 & Saturday, October 11

      Friday, October 17 & Saturday, October 18

      Friday, October 24 & Saturday, October 25

      --plus Halloween night, Friday, October 31--

      and Saturday, November 1

      PRICES: $7 adults, $5 kids and seniors VIP Package Information coming soon!
      Not recommended for children 8 and under.

      We're always looking for a few good souls to inhabit the Ghost Ship, as well.
      Not only will you become one of the terrifying creatures onboard, we'll grant
      you free admission. No experience necessary. For more information, call us at
      (231) 723-3587 or email us at _ghostship@..._
      (mailto:ghostship@...) .

    • sscitymilw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 30, 2008
        Hi everyone,
        Ghost Ship attendance has been good, and we need volunteers for Friday and
        Saturday.
        FYI. Two bodies were carried aboard the City of Milwaukee in 1936 (Capt.
        Cavanaugh's and a fireman from the Grand Rapids). Then there's the
        following...
        Muskegon Chronicle
        April 21, 1947 Pg. 2
        Woman Drowns in Ferry Tragedy
        Mrs. Lucy Laird, 40 years old, 1396 Beach street, ended her life Saturday
        afternoon when she jumped from the Grand Trunk carferry, City of Milwaukee, when
        it was about 14 miles out of Muskegon. Search of the water by a lifeboat
        crew was ordered by Capt. Roland Martin, master of the carferry, but it was
        abandoned after about an hour when efforts of the searchers failed to yield any
        trace of the woman. The water is 300 feet deep at that point.
        Notes found in her purse left on the deck indicated that she had been in ill
        health for the last few years. That was borne out by information gained by
        Sheriff Louis E. Eklund. The notes were turned over to Coroner Thomas C.
        Clock by the Sheriff. According to George Young, of Marquette, a lookout, and
        George Menomin, of Wabena, Wis., a watchman, Mrs. Laird had been conversing
        with them just before they ordered her to go inside while the decks were being
        washed. The men said she went instead to the railing and jumped. Both men
        attempted to reach her before her leap, but they were too far away. They said
        they tossed a life preserver to her, but she made no attempt to reach for it.
        The carferry had cleared the channel entrance at 2:35 p.m. bound for
        Milwaukee. The boat was stopped immediately when word was transmitted to the
        captain. A message that a woman had jumped overboard was radioed to George
        Pietrowski, coast guard chief here. It was possible for coast guards to watch the
        attempted rescue through a high powered telescope recently installed at the
        station.
        Mrs. Laird was the wife of Raymond Laird, a driver for the Peoples Transport
        corporation. She was a registered nurse and at one time was director for
        the visiting nurses association. There are two children, a son, Donald, and a
        daughter, Beverly.
        **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
        5 Travel Deals!
        (http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)