new member-second request

  • ab2footer
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hello group,

      I had recently introduced myself as a new member interested in
      dimensions of the MV Viking. This in order to construct a 1:64 diorama
      of this ferry in a Frankfort Boat Landing setting. I intend to load the
      ship with S scale model RR cars and have already acquired an Alco RS-3
      and painted it AA "orange". When completed, the diorama will hopefully
      be viewed with enthusiasam by visitors at MR shows.

      My request is for measurement information on the beam, height of the
      deck. Thank you in advance.

      Albert Blaser
    • Art Chavez
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hi Albert,

        The Viking's Length Overall is 360'; Beam (Moulded) is 56'; Beam
        Overall (rubrail to rubrail) is 57' 9-1/2"; Overhead Clearance on Car
        Deck (from top of railroad tracks to the lowest overhead beam) is 19'
        3". I don't have a very high quality deck plan of the Viking's
        stateroom arrangement, but I'll poke around. I may get lucky.

        Good luck to you.

        Art Chavez

        --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, "ab2footer" <a.blaser@...> wrote:

        > Hello group,
        >
        > I had recently introduced myself as a new member interested in
        > dimensions of the MV Viking. This in order to construct a 1:64
        diorama
        > of this ferry in a Frankfort Boat Landing setting. I intend to load
        the
        > ship with S scale model RR cars and have already acquired an Alco
        RS-3
        > and painted it AA "orange". When completed, the diorama will
        hopefully
        > be viewed with enthusiasam by visitors at MR shows.
        >
        > My request is for measurement information on the beam, height of
        the
        the
        > deck. Thank you in advance.
        >
        > Albert Blaser

      • albert blaser
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
          Thanks Art,

          I was sent a drawing and measurenets by Dan Coburn yesterday and your dimensions are as listed. I took the ferry from Frankfort once in 1959 upon graduating from U of M. I was thrilled to be invited to the wheelhouse prior to arriving at Menominee. The skipper related a tale of a helmsman, having lost some visual acuity, using the "clicks" of the wheel to steer into that harbor. Do you know of any substance to that tale?

          Al

          The Viking's Length Overall is 360'; Beam (Moulded) is 56'; Beam
          Overall (rubrail to rubrail) is 57' 9-1/2"; Overhead Clearance on Car
          Deck (from top of railroad tracks to the lowest overhead beam) is 19'
          3". I don't have a very high quality deck plan of the Viking's
          stateroom arrangement, but I'll poke around. I may get lucky.

          Good luck to you.

          Art Chavez

          --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, "ab2footer" <a.blaser@...> wrote:

          > Hello group,
          >
          > I had recently introduced myself as a new member interested in
          > dimensions of the MV Viking. This in order to construct a 1:64
          diorama
          > of this ferry in a Frankfort Boat Landing setting. I intend to load
          the
          > ship with S scale model RR cars and have already acquired an Alco
          RS-3
          > and painted it AA "orange". When completed, the diorama will
          hopefully
          > be viewed with enthusiasam by visitors at MR shows.
          >
          > My request is for measurement information on the beam, height of
          the
          the
          > deck. Thank you in advance.
          >
          > Albert Blaser

        • Art Chavez
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
            Hi Al,

            I never heard that story in particular, but I wouldn't doubt it.
            There are as many crazy incidents out there as there were different
            people that worked on the boats.

            Dan's a good resource for unusual requests as well. I'm glad he was
            helpful to you.

            Art

            --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, "albert blaser" <a.blaser@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Art,
            >
            > I was sent a drawing and measurenets by Dan Coburn yesterday and
            your dimensions are as listed. I took the ferry from Frankfort once
            in 1959 upon graduating from U of M. I was thrilled to be invited to
            the wheelhouse prior to arriving at Menominee. The skipper related a
            tale of a helmsman, having lost some visual acuity, using
            the "clicks" of the wheel to steer into that harbor. Do you know of
            any substance to that tale?

            > Al

            on