Re sabotage...

  • Alan Bessey
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2000
      Here's a story from my father from his time on the boats in the mid-40s
      (note: nowadays officers are called managers, but things are pretty much
      the same)

      Would like to add that when I was a deckhand we had a devil of a time
      with the jacks, threads in bad shape making them hard to turn. A couple
      of us decided that as long as the officers wouldn't have them fixed we
      would throw them over board. There were portholes about 4 feet above the
      car deck probably four feet apart. We decided we would eject the jacks
      through the portholes. We put a number of jacks through but when they
      got so far through their center of gavity changed and they wedged
      themselves tight against the top & bottom edge of ther porthole and we
      couldn't move them. The boat looked like Old Ironsides coming into port.
      We darn near got canned for that.