Ludington Slip no.1

  • amb3573
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      As a kid I always remembered the no.1 slip in Ludington being damaged
      and in bad condition. What happened to it? Was it damaged by one of the
      carferries or was it a case of it just slowly rotted away?
    • ab8cy
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        From what I remember it was not used much after the smaller baots were
        retired. It seem more suited to there size and didnt have a good
        passenger gangplank nor a way to load autos on the upper deck. If
        memory serves me, I don't beleive it was used after a tank car was
        being loaded onto the Badger and the tank car ended up in the water. I
        dont know if it was because of deteriorating conditions that cause the
        problem with the tank car. And with the decrease to the 3 larger boats
        (41,42 and 43) it was much easier to use the better slips for
        passengers and autos. The tracks to load the boat at number 1 slip
        often caused traffic backups and kept people from getting to the other
        slips and boats in a timely manner. So it most likely had too many
        strikes against it to remain viable as a useable slip.

        --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, "amb3573" <lauriebigelow@...> wrote:

        > As a kid I always remembered the no.1 slip in Ludington being
        damaged
        > and in bad condition. What happened to it? Was it damaged by one of
        the
        > carferries or was it a case of it just slowly rotted away?

      • Sean
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2007
          Is it still visable?

          --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, "ab8cy" <ab8cy@...> wrote:

          > From what I remember it was not used much after the smaller baots
          were
          > retired. It seem more suited to there size and didnt have a good
          > passenger gangplank nor a way to load autos on the upper deck. If
          > memory serves me, I don't beleive it was used after a tank car was
          > being loaded onto the Badger and the tank car ended up in the
          water. I
          > dont know if it was because of deteriorating conditions that cause
          the
          > problem with the tank car. And with the decrease to the 3 larger
          boats
          > (41,42 and 43) it was much easier to use the better slips for
          > passengers and autos. The tracks to load the boat at number 1 slip
          > often caused traffic backups and kept people from getting to the
          other
          > slips and boats in a timely manner. So it most likely had too many
          > strikes against it to remain viable as a useable slip.
          >

          > --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, "amb3573" <lauriebigelow@> wrote:
          > >
          > > As a kid I always remembered the no.1 slip in Ludington being
          > damaged
          > > and in bad condition. What happened to it? Was it damaged by one
          of
          > the
          > > carferries or was it a case of it just slowly rotted away?

        • Erik Jonasson
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
            I believe the land where slip 1 was located is now
            part of the marina

            Best Wishes,

            Erik

            It's here! Your new message!