Re: MWT Special Cruises

  • dasloganboot
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hi Erik,

      Yes, you and Ken are correct about the Navy Pier cruise. In my rush to get to work, I
      neglected to include the LMC cruises. They also generally do one early season cruise from
      both MTWC and LUD, and maybe a July 4th cruise. They may have foregone the 4th cruise,
      as it's a busy time of year.

      Sorry that I haven't been in contact for awhile. I talked to Max Hanley today - the first time
      in months! I've been busy with work, family, writing, research, etc. In fact I'm starting to
      resume my editing of Les Bagley's opus on the Michigan State Auto Ferries after a long
      break. That's almost as challenging as writing my own book! Quite daunting when you're
      dealing with about 200,000 words of amazing detail. When he gets it published it will be a
      must buy for the car ferry enthusiast.

      I trust that you and the family are doing well. We're all fine here in MKE. Just too many
      "irons in the fire."

      I hope to see you at the car ferry memorial weekend on the City of Milwaukee in Manistee.
      Stay tuned for the exact date.

      Regards,

      Art

      --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, Erik Jonasson <cmstpps@...> wrote:

      > Although not a MWT Cruise, LMC ran the Badger to
      > Chicago's Navy Pier in the late 90's I believe. It
      > was tied in with promoting Michigan Tourism, if memory
      > serves...
      >
      > Erik
      >

      > --- dasloganboot <PMCARFERRIES@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Glen Bowden ran a number of cruises and wild runs.
      > >
      > > When he returned to Milwaukee on July 8, 1983, he
      > > ran a shoreline trip down to the Illinois
      > > border and back for friends and dignitaries. It was
      > > impressive to see some of the Chicago
      > > skyline at night from the deck of the Badger.
      > >
      > > In August 1983, the Badger under the command of
      > > Capt. John Bissell, was brought to the
      > > Municipal Pier (ex-Clipper Dock) in Milwaukee to see
      > > how the ship would be
      > > accommodated. There were serious discussions of
      > > moving the Badger's dock to the more
      > > high-profile downtown location. But the high cost of
      > > refurbishing the dock, traffic
      > > congestion and port fees quashed the idea. The
      > > reason to test the dock was that a Love
      > > Boat style cruise (like those out of Ludington) was
      > > scheduled from the location in
      > > September. There was ample depth at the dock, so no
      > > dredging was required. That cruise
      > > went down to Kenosha as well.
      > >

      > > A Happy Days Cruise was run in 1984. It was
      > > organized by a fly-by-night entertainment
      > > group, who lost some money on the venture. A fun
      > > time was had by all who took the trip.
      > > We ran south, but not as far as previous cruises.
      > >
      > > During this time there were a number of Love Boat
      > > cruises out of Ludington. All of these
      > > were held on the Badger.
      > >
      > > The Midland had her share of the action as well. In
      > > 1985 she took a shoreline cruise out of
      > > Muskegon from the Mart Dock. It was to show
      > > Muskegon's support of the car ferries.
      > > There was talk at the time of running a boat out of
      > > Muskegon to Milwaukee. Come to think
      > > of it, when was there not talk of reestablishing a
      > > ferry from there after the Clipper ceased
      > > operation?
      > >
      > > In 1987???, (not quite sure of the date without
      > > looking it up), the Midland was used to
      > > restock fish from a state hatchery. The fingerlings
      > > were dumped from semi trailers parked
      > > at the stern. It was done in the northern part of
      > > Lake Michigan. Capt. Barth was quite
      > > excited about it and I recall him studying the
      > > charts weeks ahead of time in the pilothouse.
      > >
      > > In September 1988 the Midland was used for two days
      > > on a weekend to run Burlington
      > > Northern railroad executives on cruises on Green
      > > Bay, out of Green Bay. There was talk of
      > > the BN buying the GBW and the MWT ferry operation.
      > > The Midland tied up at the Schneider
      > > dock near the Holiday Inn downtown. That was a nice
      > > trip. I got some great shots from a
      > > helicopter as the ship passed the shallows off Green
      > > Bay harbor.
      > >
      > > I'm sure there were more trips, but these are the
> [...]
    • dasloganboot
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2007
        Hi Mark,

        It's good to hear from you again. Sorry that it's been awhile. I'll contact you by e-mail in
        the near future.

        The Badger and Midland were both used to stock fish. I believe that the Badger stocked
        Seneca and Marquette strains of Lake Trout over the Sheboygan Reef in the summer of
        1986. The Midland's stocking was farther north and perhaps a different species of fish.
        The hatcheries also use the USCG and research vessels in stocking game fish.

        Regards,

        Art

        --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, Mark Williams <m.williams2080@...> wrote:

        > Art,
        > Don't know if there is any connection, but it was just reported that lake trout are
        breeding somewhere out in the lake on a reef in about 165ft of water.

        > Mark

      • Erik Jonasson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2007
          Hi Art,

          Happy New Year and thank you for your note ! Would
          love to go "up north" especially for a carferry
          gathering !

          Hope all is well with you and your family ! I TOTALLY
          understand the "irons in the fire" thing....

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Sean
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
            As I recall, it was the City of Midland off the Beaver archepelego,
            western side. As of late, the Beaver Island carferry Emerald Isle has
            done this routine.

            --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, "dasloganboot" <PMCARFERRIES@...>