Northport Ferry Dock

  • Kujawa's
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
      Hi Dan:

      Here is a link to topo maps. You can also toggle between it and aerial
      photos.

      http://www.terraserverusa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=16&X=761&Y=6247&W=3

      It shows the railroad line with a wye for turning equipment on the topo but
      it doesn't show any dock.
      You might be able to locate it by looking at the photos. Was the dock in
      town, north of town? I'd be interested in more info too. It has been gone
      over 100 years. It might be hard to locate.

      Roger Kujawa
      Morton, IL.

      > 1. Northport Ferry Dock
      > Posted by: "dan coburn" danalicob@... danalicob
      > Date: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:17 pm (PST)
      >
      > Hi All,
      > I recently took my son to the Great Lakes Maritime Academy in Traverse
      > City for the open house. During our stay, we had time to explore the area.
      > On our way the the Grand Traverse Lighthouse, I unexpectedly passed
      > through Northport. Since the route followed the shoreline, I did a lot of
      > rubber necking to find signs of old roadbed of the Manistique and Northern
      > RR leading to the shore.
      > Can anyone give me an exact location where the line and ferry docks were?
      > I understand the apron from Northport was moved and is located on the west
      > slip in Frankfort.
      >
      > Dan Coburn

    • dan coburn
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
        Hi Roger,
        Thanks for the maps, that gives me some clues to explore. It seems most logical that the line may have continued to the small penisula that lies in nearly a straight line from the railline across Bayshore Drive north of Northport.
        I plan to go up there sometime this next summer. This time I'll get out of the car and look around. It would be great if we can find some remant.
        Dan Coburn

        Here is a link to topo maps. You can also toggle between it and aerial
        photos.

        http://www.terraser verusa.com/ image.aspx? T=2&S=12& Z=16&X=761& Y=6247&W= 3

        It shows the railroad line with a wye for turning equipment on the topo but
        it doesn't show any dock.
        You might be able to locate it by looking at the photos. Was the dock in
        town, north of town? I'd be interested in more info too. It has been gone
        over 100 years. It might be hard to locate.

        Roger Kujawa
        Morton, IL.

        > 1. Northport Ferry Dock
        > Posted by: "dan coburn" danalicob@yahoo. com danalicob
        > Date: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:17 pm (PST)
        >
        > Hi All,
        > I recently took my son to the Great Lakes Maritime Academy in Traverse
        > City for the open house. During our stay, we had time to explore the area.
        > On our way the the Grand Traverse Lighthouse, I unexpectedly passed
        > through Northport. Since the route followed the shoreline, I did a lot of
        > rubber necking to find signs of old roadbed of the Manistique and Northern
        > RR leading to the shore.
        > Can anyone give me an exact location where the line and ferry docks were?
        > I understand the apron from Northport was moved and is located on the west
        > slip in Frankfort.
        >
        > Dan Coburn

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2006
          Dan,

          I've been doing a little research since your first post. Since
          moving to the Traverse City area a few years ago I've been reading
          up some on local history. In one book I have, 100 YEARS OF LEELANAU
          Copyright 1965, I found: "In 1903 the village (of Northport)was
          incorporated, and in the same year the Leelanau and Manistique
          Railroad entered the village, erecting a car ferry slip and
          installing a ferry by means of which both freight cars and
          passengers were transported to Manistique, on the Upper
          Peninsula." "...1906 marked the end of car ferry service too, for
          difficulties incurred during the previous winter proved to be too
          much. That winter the car ferry was locked in the ice off South Fox
          Island for 30 days, causing great difficulty in the transportation
          of food and fuel to its crew. The boat was then sold to the Grand
          Trunk Railway and operated between Grand Haven and Millwaukee"

          I hope this helps your quest. I typically get up Northport way about
          once a month or so and will see what else I can find out for you.

          Steve McCort
          Benzie Co MI

          --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, dan coburn <danalicob@...> wrote:

          > Hi Roger,
          > Thanks for the maps, that gives me some clues to explore. It
          seems most logical that the line may have continued to the small
          penisula that lies in nearly a straight line from the railline
          across Bayshore Drive north of Northport.
          > I plan to go up there sometime this next summer. This time I'll
          get out of the car and look around. It would be great if we can find
          some remant.

          Dan Coburn

          > Hi Dan:
          >
          > Here is a link to topo maps. You can also toggle between it and
          aerial
          > photos.
          >
          > http://www.terraser verusa.com/ image.aspx? T=2&S=12& Z=16&X=761&
          Y=6247&W= 3

          > It shows the railroad line with a wye for turning equipment on the
          topo but
          > it doesn't show any dock.
          > You might be able to locate it by looking at the photos. Was the
          dock in
          > town, north of town? I'd be interested in more info too. It has
          been gone
          > over 100 years. It might be hard to locate.
          >
          > Roger Kujawa
          > Morton, IL.

          > > Hi All,
          > > I recently took my son to the Great Lakes Maritime Academy in
          Traverse
          > > City for the open house. During our stay, we had time to explore
          the area.
          > > On our way the the Grand Traverse Lighthouse, I unexpectedly
          passed
          > > through Northport. Since the route followed the shoreline, I did
          a lot of
          > > rubber necking to find signs of old roadbed of the Manistique
          and Northern
          > > RR leading to the shore.
          > > Can anyone give me an exact location where the line and ferry
          docks were?
          > > I understand the apron from Northport was moved and is located
          on the west
          > > slip in Frankfort.
          > >
          > > Dan Coburn

        • dan coburn
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2006
            Appreciate it, Steve.
            I have the story that tells of the movement of the apron from Northport to Frankfort, where the last time I checked, it still was there as the west slip.
            I'll post the story in the next few days.
            Dan Coburn

> [...]

            > over 100 years. It might be hard to locate.
            >
            > Roger Kujawa
            > Morton, IL.

            > > Hi All,
            > > I recently took my son to the Great Lakes Maritime Academy in
            Traverse
            > > City for the open house. During our stay, we had time to explore
            the area.
            > > On our way the the Grand Traverse Lighthouse, I unexpectedly
            passed
            > > through Northport. Since the route followed the shoreline, I did
            a lot of
            > > rubber necking to find signs of old roadbed of the Manistique
            and Northern
            > > RR leading to the shore.
            > > Can anyone give me an exact location where the line and ferry
            docks were?
            > > I understand the apron from Northport was moved and is located

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
              --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, dan coburn <danalicob@...> wrote:

              > Appreciate it, Steve.
              > I have the story that tells of the movement of the apron
              from Northport to Frankfort, where the last time I checked, it still
              was there as the west slip.
              > I'll post the story in the next few days.

              Dan Coburn

              Dan,

              The west slip was still there as of a couple weeks ago. However, it
              may not be long for the world. The storage tanks by the lakefront
              are to be/being removed and condo's and a marina built on that
              property. Looks as though Elberta might be turning into 'South
              Frankfort' again, instead of being the 'other side of the tracks'.
              I'll keep you if you posted if you like when I make the rounds!

              Steve McCort
            • dan coburn
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 9, 2006
                Thanks Steve,
                Great to know that there may be at least one more opportunity to view the apron. Is the east slip still there also?
                Dan Coburn