[carferry] Radar on the ferries

  • Bill Theeringer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 19 8:41 AM
      Message text written by INTERNET:carferry@...

      Hello Group,

      Hope all is well just had a trivial question I'm sure
      one of you can answer. When did the boats (C&O, AA,
      GTW) go from the oblong "flyswatter" (fot lack of a
      better term) to the bar style radars on top of the
      pilot houses ? I figured it to be post 1970, as I
      notice that The Milwaukee Clipper never got the bar
      style ( I worked on her in the mid 80's while docked
      at Navy Pier in Chicago).

      Best Regards,

      Erik<

      Erik;
      When I left the C&O in 1967, all seven ships had the Raytheon Pathfinders
      Radar in the forward pilot house. They all used the big oblong rotating
      dish antenna. I don't know what became of any of those system after that.

      Bill Theeringer