Carferry postcards and pics from my G-Grandfather

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
      I just found this group through a carferry site. My great-grandfather
      was Burton Elsworth France and he was a chief engineer on several of
      the Pere Marquette ferries out of Ludington. He started with them
      originally about 1909 and left and returned to them in the early
      1920's. He became the Chief Engineer on the Chief Wawatam in 1935 and
      actually died in his office on that ship on Jan. 1, 1938. I have
      received a lot of old picture postcards of the ferries from my
      grandmother and even a piece of the engine from the Pere Marquette
      #15. I have not scanned the old cards but was wondering if this site
      is interested in them. There is one that my great grandfather wrote
      on the back : "Car Ferry Pere Marquette and Bessmer #1. Lost with all
      hands in Lake Eried December 9, 1909". I didn't see any info on this
      ship on the site.
    • Ken Ottmann
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
        Hi Scott,
        Welcome to our little group. I am sure many of us would enjoy seeing scans of your old photos and post cards. We usually have problems with space on this site for storing images, but Max Hanley usually can do some magic. You might want to contact Max directly at msh@...
        Your great-grandfather's label is slightly inaccurate, the Marquette & Bessemer #2 foundered on that date. That vessel was one of three great lakes car ferries to founder. The other two being the Grand Truck's Milwaukee, and the Pere Marquette's 18.
        It has become a very hot topic of late among our ship wreck diving brethren to locate the M&B #2 and the PM 18.
        In any event welcome to our group.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
          Am new to this website, but yesterday 7/5 I was sitting under the Blue Water
          bridge (PORT HURON) and a tug went by pushing a barge that was obviously a
          ship at one time...the name on the barge was Pere Marquette # 24 (?) I
          think......old ferry... cut down...? Jimbo

          >From: "Scott" <orping_2000@...>
          >To: carferry@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [carferry] Carferry postcards and pics from my G-Grandfather
          >Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 03:16:14 -0000
          >
          >I just found this group through a carferry site. My great-grandfather
          >was Burton Elsworth France and he was a chief engineer on several of
          >the Pere Marquette ferries out of Ludington. He started with them
          >originally about 1909 and left and returned to them in the early
          >1920's. He became the Chief Engineer on the Chief Wawatam in 1935 and
          >actually died in his office on that ship on Jan. 1, 1938. I have
          >received a lot of old picture postcards of the ferries from my
          >grandmother and even a piece of the engine from the Pere Marquette
          >#15. I have not scanned the old cards but was wondering if this site
          >is interested in them. There is one that my great grandfather wrote
          >on the back : "Car Ferry Pere Marquette and Bessmer #1. Lost with all
          >hands in Lake Eried December 9, 1909". I didn't see any info on this
          >ship on the site.
          >

          >The Carferry List is sponsored in part by the Society for the Preservation
          >of the S.S. City of Milwaukee.
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • dcramer02
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
            Jim, Welcome to the group!

            The Pere Marquette 41 barge is the former railroad carferry City Of
            Midland 41. The Midland was built and operated by the Pere Marquette
            railroad from Ludington, MI to Kewaunee, Manitowoc, and Milwaukee WI.
            Later the ship operated for the C&O Railroad, and Michigan-Wisconsin
            Transportation Co. from Ludington to Kewaunee. The Midland was built
            in 1941 by Manitowoc Shipbuilding. She was retired from service in
            1988 due to failing boiler foundations. The Midland was converted to
            the barge in 1997 at Mart dock in Muskegon MI, and Bay shipbuilding
            in Sturgeon Bay, WI. The tug is a former Navy tug, Undaunted. The
            tug/barge is operated by Pere Marquette shipping, a division of Lake
            Michigan Carferry Service. Lake Michigan Carferry is the operator of
            the SS Badger carferry carrying passengers and autos from Ludington
            to Manitowoc. More info can be found on the website
            http://www.carferries.com . There is a website out there that has
            photos posted of the 41's conversion, but I do not have the url right
            off.

            Dan Cramer

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
              Thanks Dan, you more then answered any questions I had....My daughter lives
              in Ludington, so am familier with the Badger.....didn't know the Company
              also putzed around with freight as well....