Re: [carferry] Digest Number 1459

  • sscitymilw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2006
      Hi Art and Dan,

      Thanks. Sorry I couldn't be around more during the 75th, but was kind of nice coming around Manistee Lake on the train and seeing a crowd aboard the boat. Looking forward to next year.

      George

      From: "mark williams" m.williams2080@...
      2. Re: Car Ferry Weekend
      From: "dcramer02" djcramer@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed May 31, 2006 11:59 am (PDT)
      From: "mark williams" m.williams2080@...
      Subject: Re: Car Ferry Weekend

      Mr. Chavez,
      I visited the Milwaukee on Sunday and left some information and
      got an email from you. I tried to reply, but apparently did not get
      it done properly.
      I am wondering if you would know anything about Captain John
      Ackerman. He was my great-grandfather and I have heard through
      family ledgend that he was the captain of the 17 which went to the
      rescue of the 18 when she went down.
      Since my father's family was from Ludington, I have always been
      interested in the car ferries and railroading in general. If you
      know of the PM 1225 locomotive in Michigan, our construction company
      provided the equipement and operators to move it off campus at MSU.
      It runs from Owosso these days.

      Thanks,
      Mark Williams

      --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, "dasloganboot" <PMCARFERRIES@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Everyone,
      >
      > I want to thank all of the Carferry Group members who attended the
      event aboard the SS
      > City of Milwaukee at Manistee on Saturday, May 27th. It was an
      exciting day and it was
      > nice to speak with all of you before and after my presentation
      about the Milwaukee
      > sinking. Aside from the members of this group that are regular
      staff members and
      > volunteers (Pat B., Richard T., Tom R., Jed, George, Linda, Bob
      P., etc.) those in attendence
      > included Dan Kramer and John Brandt and their families, Becky
      Wirt, Bill Christopher, Ken
      > Ottmann, Bob Strauss and others that I may have missed.
      >
      > It's important for us to keep the heritage of the car ferries
      alive, and the SS City of
      > Milwaukee is an essential conduit to perpetuate that history. I
      hope that next year even
      > more people will participate, whether it's sharing stories, giving
      presentations on their
      > own perspctives of the car ferries, or displaying personal
      collections of artifacts and
      > memoribilia.
      >
      > If anyone has ideas or would like to make next year's event an
      even bigger success, please
      > contact Linda Spencer or George Micka.
      >
      > A highpoint of the event was the presence of Ed and Lunora Sadon,
      whose uncle was A.
      > Richard Sadon, the purser lost on the Milwaukee. They were
      impressed enough with the
      > ship, programs and memorial service to the point that they told me
      that they would like to
      > bring their adult children and families next year. These fine
      people travelled all the way
      > from the Cleveland, Ohio area.
      >
      > The evening was capped off by Great Lakes folk singer Lee Murdock,
      who gave an amazing
      > show. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never seen him perform until
      now.

      > Thanks for everyone's hard work! I look forward to seeing more of
      you next year.

      > Best regards,
      >
      > Art Chavez

      Message: 2
      Date: Wed May 31, 2006 8:31 pm (PDT)
      From: "dcramer02" djcramer@...

      Well Said Art.
      In addition to the staff and volunteers at the SS. City of Milwaukee,
      there is one more person that contributed a great deal to the success
      last Saturday. Art Chavez. Art was able to share a great deal of his
      knowledge on the history of the ferries, as well as introducing many
      of us who know each other on this board, but had never met in person.
      Art was even able to fill in a few other slots in the program to help
      make the day complete. Thank you very much Art!!!

      Dan Cramer