Car ferry, Duluth-Thunder Bay

  • Ray Horton
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 1999
      On 1 Mar 1999 John Trulson <john.trulson@...> wrote:

      > Several times when I have gone back home to Minnesota, I go up to
      > Duluth and on those trips i have seen
      > the ferry leave heading to I believe Thunder Bay. I have been told
      > that it no longer runs. Is this true?? If
      > it is what did they do with the boat? (ship?) I never good figure out
      > why they sent rr cars by ferry, when I
      > would have thought that sending them north on the DW&P would have
      > worked just as well. Any help would > be most helpful. Thanks, John

      That would have been the Incan Superior. I think it made one round trip
      betwen Duluth and Thunder Bay about every 3 days. It quit running
      sometime in the late 1980s or early 90s. I have heard that the ship went
      somewhere out here on the West Coast. (Possibly BC Ferries??)

      As I recall this operation was related to pulp/paper transport, though I
      can't remember what was being transported where. I think the operation
      ended when a pulp mill on one end or the other closed. As to why this
      was cheaper than routing around on the DWP, I don't know, although I
      would guess tranport time was shorter on the ferry. (I think their
      running time was something like 12 hours between Duluth & Thunder Bay.)

      I know this information is kind of vague and is going strictly from
      memory, but I hope it helps a little.

      --Ray--