Ann Arbor 7 windows

  • Bernard Haxel
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005
      Folks,

      Reading D.C. Jesse Burkhardt's recent book about the Ann Arbor
      Railroad, I noticed something I hadn't been aware of before. On page
      62 is a picture of Ann Arbor 7 at Manistique, in which it is clearly
      visible that the rectangular windows at the front of the cabins
      (passenger lounge and captain's cabin) have been replaced with round
      windows. Some of the original rectangular windows are visible further
      back. The picture is certainly of Boat 7 and the caption says it was
      taken in the late 1950s. If you have the book, compare to the picture
      on page 55, which shows her fairly new in the late 1920s. I have a
      1957 timetable poster with a picture of Boat 7 still with rectangular
      windows at the front, but it could have been an old picture at the
      time. My understanding was that the windows were converted as part of
      the 1965 Viking modernization. I didn't know that some windows were
      changed before then.

      So, the obvious questions are: When? Where? and Why? Do any of
      you know?

      ThanksÂ…

      - Bernard Haxel