Re: more files space?

  • Bernard Haxel
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2005
      Well, 20 MB is a pitifully small amount in this age when new computers have memory measured in gigabytes and every college kid has a gigabyte memory stick in his pocket! But I guess beggars can't be choosers. The support we get from Yahoo is otherwise good. But, what I am wondering is: If we could just start another group, as you suggest, and get more disc space, why couldn't we get that space for this group? Has anyone asked? Does anyone know how we would go about asking? I'm a moderator now, so I'm willing to look into this if someone else hasn't already.

      Thanks, everyone...

      - Bernard

      > Yahoo Groups help:
      >
      > How much space is there per group for files?
      >
      > Each group has 20 megabytes server space allocated for
      > Files. You can upload any number of smaller files (up to the
      > limit of 20 megabytes) or a few larger files. Note, however,
      > that each individual file you upload has a 5 megabyte limit
      > per upload. If you attempt to upload a single file that is
      > larger than the space remaining, or that is larger than 5
      > megabytes, you will get an error.
      >
      > Note: If your group fills up the space and you want to add
      > more files, you'll need to delete existing files. Or, you
      > can use the Links area to point to other locations on the
      > Web where your group stores files.
      >
      > - - - - - - - - - - -
      >
      > I might be able to get some space for a web site elsewhere.
      > Also, if anyone wants to set up a site on Trainweb or a
      > similar place, I am willing to offer some assistance.
    • Tim and Sherrie Vermande
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2005
        Yes, another 20 mb won't accomplish a lot, given everything
        we could accumulate. And I have a few items to add when
        there is more space.

        A group I own experienced a similar problem. We decided that
        a secondary group wouldn't work (see below). At that point,
        my sister wrangled a bunch of free space from a friend, and
        is establishing a site there for that group.

        If we established another group for photos, here are some of
        the problems. Yahoo has been trying to eliminate small and
        inactive groups. If we do nothing but post photos to the
        second group (and that will probably fill quickly, so what
        do we do then?), the group will be considered inactive. We
        would also continue to be subject to Yahoo's whims. Anyone
        who has been with Yahoo for some time may remember that they
        have eliminated (or moved to pay-for levels) such things as
        POP and FTP access. Photo and file space has often changed,
        sometimes without enough warning to save existing files
        elsewhere.

        Trainweb offers unlimited space. There are some limitations.
        Space comes in 10mb increments, and is dependent on
        "efficient use." They may balk at all those high-resolution
        photos (they have a suggested limit of, I think, 100kb per
        photo). It's also for individual, non-business endeavors.
        And since it's a web site, someone would have to maintain it.

        I don't know a lot about the webshots site, or similar ones,
        but they seem promising, especially if the group could use
        it to raise some money for the museum.

        Perhaps it would be good if the discussion will continue,
        that we establish some way in which the members who are
        really interested in discussing it can get together off list.

        Bernard Haxel wrote:
        > Well, 20 MB is a pitifully small amount in this age when new computers have memory measured in gigabytes and every college kid has a gigabyte memory stick in his pocket! But I guess beggars can't be choosers. The support we get from Yahoo is otherwise good. But, what I am wondering is: If we could just start another group, as you suggest, and get more disc space, why couldn't we get that space for this group? Has anyone asked? Does anyone know how we would go about asking? I'm a moderator now, so I'm willing to look into this if someone else hasn't already.
        >
        > Thanks, everyone...
        >
        > - Bernard
        >

        >>Yahoo Groups help:
        >>
        >>How much space is there per group for files?
        >>
        >>Each group has 20 megabytes server space allocated for
        >>Files. You can upload any number of smaller files (up to the
        >>limit of 20 megabytes) or a few larger files. Note, however,
        >>that each individual file you upload has a 5 megabyte limit
        >>per upload. If you attempt to upload a single file that is
        >>larger than the space remaining, or that is larger than 5
        >>megabytes, you will get an error.
        >>
        >>Note: If your group fills up the space and you want to add
        >>more files, you'll need to delete existing files. Or, you
        >>can use the Links area to point to other locations on the
        >>Web where your group stores files.
        >>
        >>- - - - - - - - - - -
        >>
        >>I might be able to get some space for a web site elsewhere.
        >>Also, if anyone wants to set up a site on Trainweb or a
        >>similar place, I am willing to offer some assistance.
        >

        > The Carferry List is sponsored in part by the Society for the Preservation of the S.S. City of Milwaukee.
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Richard Taber
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2005
          I could install a photo album script on the S.S. City of Milwaukee's
          website (www.carferry.com). Right now there is 750 to 1000 MB of free
          space on our server. It could look something like what boatnerd.com is
          doing at http://pics.boatnerd.com/albums.php

          Let me know if that idea sounds good.

          -Richard Taber
          S.S. City of Milwaukee

        • LakeboatMi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2005
            Hi Richard,
            I think your proposal is fantastic! If I knew more about computers I would
            offer to help you in any way that I could. Aw forget it, I'll offer to help you
            anyway.
            Gerry Wiater

          • dcramer02
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2005
              I'll agree with Gerry, a second site is a fantastic idea. One idea I
              want to toss out here: Max's original Carferries.com web page had
              dozens (maybe hundreds) of carferry photos listed in a simple index
              format. I'd hate to volunteer you and your resources Max, but if some
              of the pictures are already there could we post a link to some of the
              original pages?