Re: S.S. Milwaukee Clipper E News 1 December

  • Sscitymilw@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 1999
      Hi all,

      Here is the latest SS Milwaukee Clipper E News. I think Chucks words are
      applicable to the "fleet". Muskegon (and others) need to realize that the
      boats can offer a lot more economic and social impact than even the Hackley
      and Hume homes can provide. While the homes are treasures, to my knowledge
      neither is a National Historic Landmark.

      George

      In a message dated 12/1/99 3:48:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,

      << Subj: S.S. Milwaukee Clipper E News 1 December
      Date: 12/1/99 3:48:44 PM Eastern Standard Time
      From: go_sail@... (Torresen Marine Inc.)
      To: clipper@...

      SS Milwaukee Clipper
      E - News
      November 30, 1999
      ______________________________________
      Year 2000 Calendars $7.50
      Christmas Cards $15.00 per box of 20
      Christmas Ornaments $10.00
      Get <> Yours <> Today!
      SS Milwaukee Clipper Store
      1121 Third Street
      Muskegon, Michigan
      (231) 725-0509
      Christmas Cards and Ornaments to arrive soon.
      Purchase Online http://208.196.84.174/
      _____________________________________
      Thoughts on the CLIPPER's future (or, The Dream of the "MCPI")
      By Chuck Truscott
      When the MILWAUKEE CLIPPER was towed out of Muskegon in June of 1977 it was
      with high expectations that the "old girl" was going to do what she did
      best, sail the Great Lakes and provide entertainment to thousands. Well,
      while she did not make it back into service to sail the Lakes again, she
      certainly did provide entertainment for thousands. As some of you readers
      may know, I've been involved with the ship in one way or another since 1969
      when I wrote my first article about her for the Chronicle. However, my
      association with the ship goes far deeper, as I was involved with her
      operation as a dockside attraction at Navy Pier between 1983 and 1986.
      Perhaps, it is my involvement with the boat during those years that has
      made me determined that she can once again be a success in operation in
      Muskegon. We have, at our fingertips (and in some instances under our
      nails) one of the greatest treasures in Muskegon, seconded only by the
      Hackley and Hume homes. And, with the same loving care that has been given
      these two houses, the MILWAUKEE CLIPPER can once again provide enjoyment,
      and happiness, to untold thousands.
      Picture this. You have relatives in from out of town and you want to take
      them somewhere "special". Visit the MILWAUKEE CLIPPER. Come aboard and
      enjoy the maritime museum that has been created illustrating, not only the
      history of the MILWAUKEE CLIPPER, but the history of the passenger trade on
      the Great Lakes in general. Once you have visited the museum, and shopped
      in our adjacent gift shop, take a narrated tour of the ship, guided by
      expertly trained guides willing, and able, to answer any question you may
      have about the ship. Look around you, notice her gleaming lounges, freshly
      painted, floors waxed to a high sheen, and the Warren McArthur furniture
      fully restored to its 1941 grandeur. The ship seems alive once again. All
      that is necessary to complete the picture are live plants in the lounges
      and cafeteria.
      Now, take this one step further. The restoration is complete, and from the
      Marine Lounge come strains of the "big band" sound of the '40s, perhaps a
      wedding reception being held. From the galley comes the odor (fragrance) of
      a Steamship Round of Beef being cooked to perfection, coupled with the
      scents of fresh vegetables and twice baked potatoes, soon to be served in
      the dining room. Further forward, all the staterooms have been restored and
      are complete with beds made, towels and wash cloths hung on their racks,
      and a CLIPPER Line blanket at the toot of the bed. Soon these beds will be
      turned down for the guests of the Bed and Breakfast that the boat now
      provides, each bed with a foil wrapped chocolate mint placed on the pillow.
      In the Club Lounge you will find a piano player playing requests for those
      guests who are not yet ready to retire, or perhaps waiting to watch the
      moon rise over Muskegon Lake.
      Does this all sound glamorous? Does this all sound like a dream? Glamorous,
      yes! A dream? No!! These are just some of the things that our beloved
      MILWAUKEE CLIPPER can provide, not only to the citizens of Muskegon, but
      the entire State of Michigan and beyond. Those of us who sit on the Board
      of Directors of S. S. MILWAUKEE CLIPPER Preservation, Inc., are united in
      our efforts to present to the City of Muskegon and the State of Michigan a
      ship just as described above. We will not be deterred by those nay-sayers
      who claim our project won't succeed. Because of these nay-sayers we are all
      the more determined that it can, and will.

      If I sound like I am on a "soap-box" perhaps I am, but as I also said, I
      know what the MILWAUKEE CLIPPER can do, even as a dockside attraction, and
      to that end I dedicate almost every waking hour, as do the other members of
      the MCPI board. We admit that it sometimes seems as if we aren't moving
      fast enough, but ship restoration is a long, labor intensive, process. Rest
      assured that, while we may not always see eye to eye, we are dedicated to
      seeing our project (and I use the term to include all of you who have
      volunteered your time and efforts) become a success.
      As 1999 draws near to a close, and a new millennium is just beyond the
      horizon. We would like to take a moment to ask you to remember the
      Milwaukee Clipper this holiday season as you are making donations to other
      worthy causes. As power is now on now more than ever we will need extra
      funding to help pay the rising cost of the new electrical bill. Help us
      keep the Clipper a shinning icon on the Great Lakes for your children to
      enjoy throughout the next millennium. Every dollar is a greater help than
      you can ever imagine. - Thank You.
      Clipper New Years Party Cancled
      By Mary Louise Plant
      The year 2000 will not be rung in at a Clipper New Year's Eve party. The
      Board of Directors took a long, hard look at the projected costs versus
      revenues from such a venture and concluded that we could not justify using
      our volunteers' time and money to support the event. We agreed that any
      money given to MCPI by anyone must go directly to our established goal of
      the restoration. If the evening could have been self-funded we would have
      continued with the plans for it.
      However, the band would have cost $4000. There is no way we would have been
      able to charge enough for the tickets to cover an expense that large, at
      the same time making the event affordable for the greatest number of our
      supporters. Nor did we feel that we could ask the community to subsidize
      the expenses of such a costly party so the proceeds of the evening could go
      to the Clipper restoration. The band that we had engaged was sympathetic to
      our plight and was able to secure another booking. At other times band
      expenses should be about $1200. It is felt that sort of cost can be
      supported by ticket sales.
      Our 1999 New Year's Eve party was an elegant party, well attended, with
      gourmet food beautifully presented and pleasant music for dancing, all
      together a memorable evening. One we were anxious to duplicate. The
      consensus at the time was to make the occasion an annual fundraiser for the
      Clipper. Fundraiser is the key word. To make funds available for our
      project we need to keep fundraising expenses at a minimum so Clipper
      proceeds can be at a maximum.
      Promises were made to the 1999 attendees that 2000 New Year's Eve event
      would be on the Clipper. That promise was premature. Some time in the
      future it will be possible to keep that promise, but not this year. We all
      wanted to see the new millenium arrive aboard the Clipper and are as
      disappointed as you that we will be unable to fulfill that promise. Let us
      look to the future to realize the enjoyment potential that is available on
      board the Clipper.
      HELP!
      By Ron Edlund
      We are in desperate need of physical support if the clipper is ever to be
      completely restored. We commend and thank the faithful and dedicated few
      who have done more than their share on a regular weekly basis, but these
      work crews only number 2 to 5 people in their particular areas. Which
      obviously is far from enough.
      An example of frustration is with Steve Bowyer who is the exterior paint
      team leader. On many occasions he has waited in the security trailer hoping
      that someone would show up to go aboard and help him (not being allowed on
      the ship alone), many of these waits have been in vain.
      I am personally involved with the safety aspect of the ship, but I also am

      part of the maintenance crew which is aboard regularly 2 to 3 days a week
      and even more depending on the job to be done. The maintenance crew is not
      limited to one area such as the work crews are but rather have the job of
      covering the entire ship, inside and out.
      With only 2 to 6 people involved in this project, it is again obvious that
      we need help. Our restoration coordinator, Stan Huey has many jobs that
      need to be done, but with such limited help these things are being set
      aside, even though they are all necessary.
      So, my question is this - where are all of you "volunteers" out there? To
      be a "volunteer" in name only does not help us at all and we need you to
      become an active part of the restoration project.
      You now have the winter season to ask yourself "what can I do to help?"
      Please call Ray Hilt (231-722-2538) and become an active part of our work
      force, we hope to see you in the spring.
      As 1999 draws near to a close, and a new millennium is just beyond the
      horizon. We would like to take a moment to ask you to remember the
      Milwaukee Clipper this holiday season as you are making donations to other
      worthy causes. As power is now on now more than ever we will need extra
      funding to help pay the rising cost of the new electrical bill. Help us
      keep the Clipper a shinning icon on the Great Lakes for your children to
      enjoy throughout the next millennium. Every dollar is a greater help than
      you can ever imagine. - Thank You.
      You may use a credit card by calling 231-725-0509
      Please print and send this portion with your donation to.
      S Milwaukee Clipper Preservation Inc.
      PO Box 1370
      Muskegon, MI 49443
      Amount Enclosed. $__________
      Name _____________________________
      Street_____________________________
      This has been a monthly publication of the
      SS Milwaukee Clipper preservation Inc.
      a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
      231-725-0509
      S.S. Milwaukee Clipper Preservation Inc. Official web site
      Torresen Marine Inc. Visit Torresen Marine at
      http://www.torresen.com
      Website hosting provided by West Michigan Internet Services.
      Visit them at: http://www.wmis.net