Re: Remembering the Milwaukee

  • Sscitymilw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
      Kelly,

      May be able to find out eventually from Hackley Public Library in Muskegon.
      The library has microfiche of the Muskegon Chronicle on file that details the
      news reports at the time of the sinking. Once the mooring issue is resolved,
      hope to apply for a grant on behalf of the SPCM to research the files. Hope
      to research the entire lot for articles on the GT, AA, PM/C&O and any other
      operators mentioned. Grant could be for as much as $12,000, plus matching
      funds.

      The October 1929 articles mainly featured information about the vessel and
      it's crew roster, but it possibly could provide manifest information too. I
      didn't have time to go further than October during my last visit.

      Durand Union Station or GTWHS might have information too, if any GT corporate
      records exist from that time showing which cars were lost.

      See ya,

      George

      In a message dated 10/31/99 7:26:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      kelkel@... writes:

      << Has anyone ever put together a list of the freight cars
      that were on the MILWAUKEE the day she went down.
      It would be interesting to know what type of cars and
      what they were loaded with.
      I've seen the video tape with the autos and toilets in
      the box cars.
      Just wonder what else was on board.
      Thanks,
      Kelly Countryman

    • bigbobs61@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
        Dwight Boyer's book, Ghost Ships of the Great Lakes, cover the wreck of
        the Millwaukee in Chapter 6:A Matter of Professional Pride. His
        breakdown of the 25 cars is as follows: 2cars of lumber, 3 cars of
        barley, 7 cars of feed, 2 cars of canned peas, one car of grits, 1 car
        of corn, 3 cars of salt, 1 car of butter, 1 car of veneer, 2 cars of
        bathtubs, 1 car of cheese, and 1 car of autos. The contents were insured
        for $100,000 and the boxcars for $63,500.

        From: Sscitymilw@...

        Kelly,

        kelkel@... writes:

        << Has anyone ever put together a list of the freight cars
        that were on the MILWAUKEE the day she went down.
        It would be interesting to know what type of cars and
        what they were loaded with.
        I've seen the video tape with the autos and toilets in
        the box cars.
        Just wonder what else was on board.
        Thanks,
        Kelly Countryman

        The Carferry List is sponsored in part by the Society for the Preservation of the S.S. City of Milwaukee.
      • kelly countryman
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
          Thanks Bob,
          Thats half the battle, it would be interesting to know the
          roadnames of the rolling stock involved. Points of origin and
          destinations. Would give a great idea of train consist for the
          era.
          Kelly