Re: [carferry] E.M. Ford

  • John Belliveau
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2003
      Yes, the E.M. Ford does have a quadruple expansion steam engine (last of
      it's kind in operation on the lakes) when she last operated. The engine was
      original to the 1898 hull although the boilers were converted to bunker C
      fuel from coal at some point later on.

      ~John

    • ss43bob@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
        >Yes, the E.M. Ford was running the original
        > tripple combustion steam engine that was
        > installed in her when built.

        Actually, the Ford's powerplant was a quadruple-expansion engine, not a
        triple. The only other quad remaining on the lakes is in the Milwaukee
        Clipper. Ford's fleetmate S.T Crapo was the last operational triple to
        sail the lakes.
        A restored triple from the Chief Wawatam now resides in the Wisconsin
        Maritime Museum. The City of Milwaukee also retains her original
        triples.
      • sscitymilw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
          Hi Bob,

          I think the Keewatin is also a quadruple...

          http://www.hollandsentinel.com/stories/090497/boat.html

          George

        • Robert Strauss
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 23 6:40 PM
            Looks like another one bites the dust-

            http://blog.mlive.com/bctimes/2008/08/110yearold_freighter_is_bound.html

            Both the E.M. Ford and J.B. Ford will be taking their final trip either this yer or next. The JB Ford was tied up for years in South Chicago at 130th St. til it was towed to Superior WI a few years back for cement storage. Milwaukeeans will remember the E.M Ford from her sinking in Milwaukee's outer harbor on Christmas in 1979. (Think everyone in Milwaukee was down there getting a picture of the Ford sitting on the bottom- and if you DON'T there's some for sale in the City of Milwukee's gift shop.) The E.M. Ford also was the last operational quadruple-expansion steamer operating. Rumors on Boatnerd are the engine may wind up at the Smithsonian.

          • wellerk@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 23 7:16 PM
              Are the E M Ford and J B Ford named for members of the Ford automotive
              family?
              E = Edsel, perhaps?

              Thanks - K A Weller
              .

            • Robert Strauss
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 23 7:17 PM
                No relation.

                To: carferry@yahoogroups.comFrom: wellerk@...: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 22:16:14 -0400Subject: Re: [carferry] E.M. Ford

                Are the E M Ford and J B Ford named for members of the Ford automotive family?E = Edsel, perhaps?Thanks - K A Weller.**************It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal here.(http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047)[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

              • Alistair Deayton
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 24 5:04 AM
                  The E.M. Ford also was the last operational quadruple-expansion steamer operating. Rumors on Boatnerd are the engine may wind up at the Smithsonian.

                  Horace Didge's yacht DELPHINE is still opoerating with a quadruples expansion engine on charter work in the Mediterranean.

                  http://www.elmarine.com/delphine-yacht-charter.html

                  has details

                  Alistair Deayton

                  .

                • Dennis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 24 7:10 AM
                    Fellow Boatnerds,

                    Here are the answers;
                    E.M. Ford, was named in honor of Emory Moran Ford, then chairman of
                    the board of Huron Cement

                    J.B. Ford, named in memory of John Battice Ford, Huron Portland
                    Cement's first president and co-founder.

                    I hope this helps.

                    Dennis