Re: [carferry] Badger Model, Bad News/Good News

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi Dan,

      The project is coming along rather slowly, but very well so far. I have the cabin deck's hand rails and the rub rail done on one side of the hull, and I'm currently working on the other side. The latest pictures are here:

      http://www.michianaelectronics.com/Badger/Badger%20Pg%202.htm but they're over a month old. I'll try to get some new ones up as soon as it looks noticeably different.

      What's this about the Ludington dock area? I was hoping to put my completed model in a diorama. Do you have a layout it?

      Steve

      dan coburn <danalicob@...> wrote:
      Hi Everyone;
      Before anyone panics, the model of the badger is
      nearing completion and is doing well.
      The bad news is the model railroad club I belong to is
      folding. Means no place to house the moduals of the
      Ludington dock area.
      The good news is the moduals were still in the paper
      phase and I can redesign the project into a swithing
      layout to include the eastyard, as space permits.

      Hey Steve, hows your project coming?
      Dan

      http://shopping.yahoo.com

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      The Carferry List is sponsored in part by the Society for the Preservation of the S.S. City of Milwaukee.

    • dan coburn
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2003
        Hi Steve,
        Tour model is looking great. You done a lot in a
        few months. I,ve been working on mine since '97,
        because, mostly, I've had never built a ship before,
        much less a carferry.
        I have been looking at maps and airial photos of the
        dock area layout, and how I adapt it into a model
        railroad layout will depend on the space available in
        the room I hope to get. I'm also working on drawings
        for the slips and aprons, I'll share these as I finish
        them. Keep us posted.
        Dan
        P.S. I haven't forgotten the Midland drawings.
        --- Steve <juxtaposed_1@...> wrote:
        > Hi Dan,
        >
        > The project is coming along rather slowly, but very
        > well so far. I have the cabin deck's hand rails and
        > the rub rail done on one side of the hull, and I'm
        > currently working on the other side. The latest
        > pictures are here:

        http://www.michianaelectronics.com/Badger/Badger%20Pg%202.htm
        > but they're over a month old. I'll try to get some
        > new ones up as soon as it looks noticeably
        > different.
        >
        > What's this about the Ludington dock area? I was
        > hoping to put my completed model in a diorama. Do
        > you have a layout it?
        >
        > Steve
        >

        > dan coburn <danalicob@...> wrote:
        > Hi Everyone;
        > Before anyone panics, the model of the badger is
        > nearing completion and is doing well.
        > The bad news is the model railroad club I belong to
        > is
        > folding. Means no place to house the moduals of the
        > Ludington dock area.
        > The good news is the moduals were still in the paper
        > phase and I can redesign the project into a swithing
        > layout to include the eastyard, as space permits.
        >
        > Hey Steve, hows your project coming?
        > Dan

        > search
        > http://shopping.yahoo.com
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > The Carferry List is sponsored in part by the
        > Society for the Preservation of the S.S. City of
        > Milwaukee.

        > Terms of Service.

        > removed]

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2003
          Thanks Dan,

          I'd be most interested in setting my model in a realistic Ludington slip. Since the model is being constructed to look like the Badger as it was originally launched, I figure that to be realistic, I'd have to build the slip circa 1950. I'm guessing that finding details of how it looked back then is a pretty tall order.

          This is the first model that I've ever scratch built and I think that I under estimated my finish time by say 1-2 years. Now I know why those plastic model kits cost so much!

          Steve

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 13, 2003
            Hi Steve,
            Theres not a lot of differences in the overal dock
            area between the '30s till '70s. The major difference
            in the slip area would be the automobile ramp, I think
            built in the late '50s. I am studying photos I've
            gathered on past vacations, to get a good idea of the
            slip construction. I've drawn out the apron, but
            really need to tweek it a little to get it right.
            I know what you mean when you said you under estimated
            the construction time, but rest assured, the Badger is
            the most difficult one to model and the others will be
            a lot easier. (at least by my estimation)
            Dan

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 15, 2003
              Hi Dan,

              I think that for my purposes, just the slip and the car/freight/passenger loading mechanisms would be all that I'd need. Any help would be great!

              Steve