Re: Something to think about....

  • Shawn P. Burgess-Keith
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2003
      "ss43bob" wrote:

      > A couple of years ago I posted a message concerning the M.V.KALAKALA, an
      art-deco designed ferry which operated out of Seattle WA from the early '40s
      to 1967, ...

      <large snip>

      > So that is what one needs to think about when the call goes out to 'save'
      another ship: while your heart may say "Save 'em All", you have to stop and
      realistically ask "Can it-orshould it-be done"?

      Bob,

      Your question is an excellent one. While I would love to see several saved,
      the realistic truth is that the funds just aren't available to do it, nor
      the community support. Would it have been nice to save specific examples,
      such as the Wawatam, the Midland, the Aquarama, and others? Absolutely.
      However, I'd rather see one or two preserved in the manner that the William
      G. Mather is in Cleveland, than to see a dozen around the lakes that are
      obviously struggling for funds and losing the battle.

      Having said that though, I wonder if we're "missing the boat" on some other
      ideas that could work, such as converting the Spartan into a floating
      restaurant, hotel, and shopping center combination? Have her earn her keep
      again, rather than just being a museum piece. At least she'd still be
      around, if not showing exactly what she was "in the day".

      My two cents worth.

      Shawn B-K
    • Charles T. Tyler
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18, 2003
        >At least she'd still be around, if not showing
        >exactly what she was "in the day".

        The CofM is a 'classic' car ferry which is in pretty much in the same
        configuration as when she was launched. This is why she should be the
        primary boat to be preserved. She is an example of many sister ships of the
        same basic design. I don't really see the value of the Badger, Spartan,
        Atktinson, and other greatly modified boats. They may have nostalgia value
        to some but are not (IMHO) really of any true historical value.

        All resources of Great Lake ferry afficianados should be firstly directed
        to the efforts of making the CofM a financially solvent undertaking.

        Just my .02.

        Tom Tyler
      • chasb2001@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 24, 2003
          Tom and group-- I offer a resounding AMEN ! to your remarks regarding
          the necessity of maintaining the City of Milwaukee as an icon
          representing the carferry fleet. I have had the privilege of becoming
          acquainted with this vessel since she was towed to Manistee. Much
          progress has been made in just the last two or three years. Much more is
          needed. The upcoming move will help to attract more visitors. If you can
          help in any way, please do so. There is lots to do that does not require
          a "marine" education. If you can stay a couple of days, we will find a
          bunk for you. Thanks.

          Charlie Ashley,
          Crew, City of Milwaukee

        • Tom & Kim Cubberly
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 30, 2003
            I just got my Summer issue of "STEAMBOAT BILL" from the Steamship Historical
            Society of America and the center-fold article is about the Badger being
            named the "2002 SSHSA Ship of the Year." The article is written by Timothy
            J. Dacey, the Society President himself. Very good picture and brief history
            of the Badger. What an honor, too, to be named thus.

            Also, on page 146 is a short article and picture of the Viking. She is to be
            cut down to a barge and slated to work between Marathon, Thunder Bay, and
            Menominee.

            Tom Cubberly