SS City of Milwaukee

  • Sscitymilw@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 3, 1999
      Hi all,

      On November 2, the City of Frankfort will have a voter referendum determining
      public opinion, for relocating the ship to Frankfort municipal property.
      I'll pass along the vote ballot wording soon. Three open houses will be held
      to educate voters (the paper has already started in on us, albeit a bit more
      tactfully due to the support we have..)

      On Friday, the SPCM turned in a $5,000 grant request to a Michigan
      Foundation. This grant request is for $5,000, to pay for the Benson and
      Mountain Company to survey the ships engines and boilers, and determine the
      cost for restoration. Volunteers will be needed to help with the 3 to 4 day
      inspection, which may serve as a catalyst for restoring the ship to operating
      condition.

      The SPCM is also working with the Coast Guard, to determine feasibility of
      docking the ship in the middle of Betsie Bay this winter.

      George
    • Sscitymilw@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 4, 1999
        Chuck has some good points. Main dilemma about Muskegon, is lack of a
        permanent home for the Milwaukee Clipper. This, combined with the fact that
        Silversides will have to put big bucks into fixing up their docking space and
        relocating vessels, plus their acquisition costs of the LST and the proposed
        drydocking of the sub ($$), make it an unlikely proposition. Lastly, the
        City of Muskegon is applying for funding to assist the Silversides (with the
        hope Silversides pays for the match part). The Clipper has a trump card the
        City of Milwaukee doesn't, and that's a lease at privately owned dock space.
        There are a few folks here that would like to see it happen though.
        Personally, I'm all for raising the Jolly Roger at Elberta and painting the
        GT wet noodle on the bow. (Chessie would look cool too).

        I hear the Boblo boats are falling into disrepair. MDOT has also declined to
        give them TEA-21 funding. Intermodal to MDOT still means trucks and
        airplanes, with the occassional bicycle thrown in (asphalt for Michigan's
        future!). On the bright side, I noted that the Nickel Plate 765 (similar to
        Michigan's Pere Marquette 1223 and 1225 steam locomotives) received TEA-21
        funding for 80% of $435,000 restoration costs. They have to match $87,000.
        Since this is a federal program with state administration (as I understand
        it), a copy of their application would be most helpful. I'd love to see what
        planned transportation uses they have (as MDOT would say). I was told if we
        got the CofM running it wouldn't be enough for a grant-we'd have to serve a
        transportation purpose (tourism isn't enough). At 14 mph that's a little
        hard to do...

        Michigan railroad and steamship preservation organizations need to get a
        united trade organization going. Both for lobbying in Lansing, and for
        fundraising opportunities that require large quantities of membership. The
        National Railroad Museum in Green Bay sells Christmas Cards. For other
        organizations to do the same through the clearing house that runs it, you
        need 300,000 members. To offer members credit cards and have the
        organization receive a percentage of their usage, you need at least 20,000.
        For the ships, the Historic Naval Ships Association might be interested in
        helping here. But there wouldn't be much room for one of a kind merchant
        vessels (due to limited space/quantity of cards or credit card designs). All
        easier said than done...

        And the really hard thing to do: Clue our politicians and bureaucrats in on
        the fact that rail and water transporation deserve funding, much less an
        occasional acknowledgement of their existence (prior to abandonment,
        scrapping and paving).

        George
      • Andrew C. Buelow
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 5, 1999
          George has a great idea about forming a collective organization to engage
          in public relations and lobbying efforts for marine and railroad
          preservation. People will go all out to preserve historic buildings. A
          ship is just a floating building! But no one thinks of them as worth
          preserving, they are just viewed as old "rust buckets." We need to
          change that perception if we're going to really get public support for
          preservation efforts -- and that could be done collectively a lot more
          efficiently. At the very least, couldn't we begin by forming some
          kind of alliance between the SPCM, the Clipper people, LMC, the Manitowoc
          Maritime Museum, and the Wisconsin Marine Historical Society?

          Andy Buelow

        • Sscitymilw@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 5, 1999
            In a message dated 10/5/99 8:39:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            abuelow@... writes:

            << George has a great idea about forming a collective organization to engage
            in public relations and lobbying efforts for marine and railroad
            preservation. People will go all out to preserve historic buildings. A
            ship is just a floating building! But no one thinks of them as worth
            preserving, they are just viewed as old "rust buckets." We need to
            change that perception if we're going to really get public support for
            preservation efforts -- and that could be done collectively a lot more
            efficiently. At the very least, couldn't we begin by forming some
            kind of alliance between the SPCM, the Clipper people, LMC, the Manitowoc
            Maritime Museum, and the Wisconsin Marine Historical Society?

            Andy Buelow >>

            Sounds good to me. As I understand it, 501c3's can't lobby on their own.
            But as a collective group it might pass muster with the IRS. At the very
            least, we could start expressing our opinions collectively via e-mail to
            legislators. Definately worth checking into. Cities think of old ships as
            rusting buildings, while the Coast Guard generally still thinks of them as
            ships. Congress should pass a resolution firmly defining who is in charge
            here. That would be another issue... US Navy warships have a unique
            advantage here. With US Government ownerships, the locals generally don't
            mess with them too much. With Merchant vessels, it's open season unless the
            municipality actively supports them.

            One prospect for City of Milwaukee restoration is a partnership with
            Manitowoc, Sturgeon Bay and the State of Wisconsin. Since a Wisconsin TEA-21
            grant award could be spent in it's entirety at Bayship, all the money would
            benefit Wisconsin residents while restoring a Wisconsin built vessel.
            Wisconsin foundation monies could do the same. Just a thought.

            See ya,

            George
          • Sscitymilw@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 10, 2000
              HI all,

              Well, for those that weren't in Betsie Bay you probably didn't miss much
              (other than frostbite, of course...).

              However, things might be more interesting Tuesday morning. Wind projections
              show a possibility of 35 knot west winds (approximately 40 mph) and 7-10
              footers on Lake Michigan.

              A knot is equal to 1.15 miles per hour, according to the conversion page at
              http://www.marineweather.com/FrameGreatLakes.html

              Near shore forecasting is done for the season, but the weather forecast for
              Lake Michigan shows the Gale Warnings are up.

              See ya,

              George
            • Shawn Burgess-Keith
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 11, 2000
                George,

                Since we're not all able to be there for the goings-on in Elberta and Betsie
                Bay, would you be willing to keep us updated on the details of how things
                are progressing? Seems like there must be something happening, but we're not
                really hearing about it in the inland regions.

                Thanks!

                Shawn B-K
              • Sscitymilw@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 11, 2000
                  In a message dated 1/11/00 8:48:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  TBirdRag@... writes:

                  << George,

                  Since we're not all able to be there for the goings-on in Elberta and Betsie
                  Bay, would you be willing to keep us updated on the details of how things
                  are progressing? Seems like there must be something happening, but we're not
                  really hearing about it in the inland regions.

                  Thanks!

                  Shawn B-K >>

                  Hi Shawn,

                  I can't write too much due to the areas litigious nature, but I'll pass along
                  any news I can (mostly in a generic manner till after the fact). I think TV
                  7&4 was on-site Sunday night. TC Record Eagle and Neil's sites will probably
                  have some info too (I'll note any other site info that's available if I see
                  any). I may be able to provide more intricate details after February 18...

                  Not to keep boring everyone with donation requests, but tug boats aren't
                  cheap. If you'd like to help, please send donations to SPCM, 115 US 31,
                  Beulah MI 49617. For those within driving distance with spare time,
                  volunteers are working aboard the boat on a daily basis. Please let me know
                  if you are interested in volunteering. The work has become "Laker" oriented,
                  or heavy duty mooring cable stuff.

                  George
                • Max Hanley
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 11, 2000
                    There is an article in the Traverse City Record-Eagle today:
                    <http://www.record-eagle.com/2000/jan/11tug.htm>

                    Max

                    Shawn Burgess-Keith wrote:

                    > From: "Shawn Burgess-Keith" <TBirdRag@...>
                    >
                    > George,
                    >
                    > Since we're not all able to be there for the goings-on in Elberta and Betsie
                    > Bay, would you be willing to keep us updated on the details of how things
                    > are progressing? Seems like there must be something happening, but we're not
                    > really hearing about it in the inland regions.
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > Shawn B-K

                    > Sign up for eLerts at:

                    > The Carferry List is sponsored in part by the Society for the Preservation of the S.S. City of Milwaukee.

                    The Carferries of Ludington
                    <http://www.carferries.com> Updated Weekly

                    Society for the Preservation of the S.S. City of Milwaukee
                    <http://www.carferry.com>
                  • Sscitymilw@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 11, 2000
                      Max,

                      They were thinking about trying again today, hoping that the storm surge
                      raised the bay water level enough to move the boat. I think she's on pretty
                      hard, and it would probably take 75mph winds to move her. But I may be
                      wrong. Probably head north tomorrow...

                      Consultant John Williamson thought the bunker C was holding the boat down,
                      although at present there is no way to remove it.

                      George
                    • Sscitymilw@xxx.xxx
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 11, 2000
                        Neil,

                        Here's something for you to put on the site.

                        "Carferry to Leave Elberta"

                        The S.S. City of Milwaukee appears ready to leave Elberta tomorrow, January
                        12, 2000. Due to questions regarding an intra-bay mooring in Frankfort
                        Harbor and a possible April 15 moving deadline, it appears the 350 foot
                        carferry may be headed to Manistee. Tuesday's efforts by the Andrie tugs
                        Seneca Queen and Maribeth Andrie were successful, freeing the ship from the
                        mud at Elberta. Following final preparations, the tow could follow a
                        shoreline route allowing excellent viewing at the M-22 scenic overlook at
                        Arcadia.

                        TV 7&4 has had news coverage of the action.

                        Thus ends 107 years of regular car ferry mooring at Elberta.

                        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                        Just for the carferry list-if anyone can tape 7&4 news reports, please
                        forward a copy to me at 1308 W. Summit Ave, Muskegon MI 49441.

                        George P. Micka IV.
                      • Sscitymilw@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 15, 2000
                          Hi all,

                          The Manistee News Advocate site at
                          http://www.pioneergroup.net/advocate/carferry11400.html

                          gives a report on the City of Milwaukee move. Photographer Guy Ellis was a
                          member of the ships crew during the move.

                          George
                        • Sscitymilw@xxx.xxx
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 15, 2000
                            Hi all,

                            Between the 12th and the 15th, the Ludington Daily News has carried an
                            article on the boat move. The 15th article carried a quote from the Mayor
                            Pro-Tem, who rode aboard the carferry. Http://www.ludingtondailynews.com
                            Past articles are available using the daily search feature.

                            Yesterday's Manistee News Advocate article was also interesting (still on the
                            website). If anyone can pick up an extra copy please let me know.
                            http://www.pioneergroup.net/advocate/carferry11400.html

                            Thanks,

                            George
                          • sscitymilw@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 10 4:15 PM
                              Hi all,

                              Our sister website,

                              http://community.mlive.com/cc/carferry

                              features a map showing where the ship should be located at Manistee. For
                              those visiting the ship after April 1, directions will be US 31 to 8th Street
                              blinker light. Turn east at the light, and follow until 8th street ends.
                              Turn right (south) on vine one block to 9th street. Follow one block south
                              across tracks to waterfront.

                              The ship is still located at Seng's aggregate dock, but will have to be moved
                              by April 1 to accomodate inbound ship traffic. Move details are still being
                              worked out.

                              George
                            • sscitymilw@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 14 7:55 PM
                                Hi all,

                                The SPCM just applied to the American Association of Museums, for a $1775
                                grant. The grant would fund an Institutional Assessment of the SPCM. There
                                is a match required, which would either be $300 or $500 depending upon the
                                budget for this year. The Institutional Assessment is one of three MAP
                                assessment programs avaialble.

                                The SPCM is working with the USS Silversides and Maritime Museum, for
                                possible assistance moving the carferry. The Silversides Museum has a 44
                                foot Coast Guard motor lifeboat, rigged for heavy-duty towing and powered by
                                twin 185 hp diesels.

                                While the "loan" is not definate (and it would require running the 44 footer
                                from Muskegon to Manistee and back), it may be possible. As a goodwill
                                gesture, the SPCM helped write a Silversides application for the MAP
                                Assessment program. In essence, it could be considered as $1775 in rent if
                                approved....

                                George
                              • sscitymilw@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 26 11:24 AM
                                  Hi everyone,

                                  The SS City of Milwaukee and the SPCM was featured in Sunday's Grand Rapids
                                  Press and the Muskegon Chronicle, in the entertainment sections.  The article
                                  featured pictures of the ship's chadburns, profile, observation room, and
                                  pilot house.

                                  According to the article, ship tours will begin Memorial Day Weekend on
                                  Wednesday-Sunday.  Times will be from 12-5.

                                  George
                                • sscitymilw@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 17, 2001
                                    Hi everyone,

                                    Just wanted to advise that the SS City of Milwaukee is now appearing on the
                                    cover of Ameritech's Manistee phone directory.

                                    We are also working to develop buttons (similar to ones we did a couple years
                                    ago, which were modelled after a Milwaukee Clipper design...). They may be
                                    priced at $30, and will help buy paint for the City of Milwaukee. We may
                                    individually number them too.

                                    The overnight program has been well received. Any support is appreciated.
                                    Recently staff noticed several members hadn't been placed on the mailing
                                    list. The entire list is currently undergoing revision.

                                    The City of Manistee's FY 2002 TEA-21 application was declined by MDOT. We
                                    are working with the city and MDOT to facilitate the awarded FY-2001 TEA-21
                                    application. The next round of applications (FY-2003 proposal requests)
                                    should be announced at the end of July.

                                    Burned up a $40 needle scaler today chipping paint. Primed most of the stack
                                    casing exterior on the starboard side with Rust-Oleum. The ships plumber has
                                    put in over 100 hours working on the plumbing this year.

                                    The ship also appeared in the weekend edition of the Ludington Daily News.
                                    They goofed, mentioned the ship was open Tuesdays through Saturdays. The
                                    correct information is Wednesday through Sunday. Jed (aka the Admiral, our
                                    Curator) got his picture in the paper again too.

                                    George
                                  • sscitymilw@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 28, 2001
                                      Hi everyone,

                                      The latest SS City of Milwaukee news mailing should be forthcoming later this
                                      week. The mailing will advise about our planned annual meeting, scheduled
                                      for Sept. 29th. I believe the time is set for 4:00 pm, but haven't seen the
                                      official announcement yet.

                                      If anyone is interested in running for a board position, please let someone
                                      know. Several people have expressed an interest in running for the board.
                                      Depending upon the meeting schedule, Pat Rock, Jim Baker, Max Hanley, George
                                      Micka and Capt. Dean Hobbs are considering running for potential positions.
                                      A few other names should be included and will help determine the final
                                      candidates at the annual meeting. To my knowledge there should be 5-6
                                      openings on the board this year. I believe there would be more attendance if
                                      meetings were monthly on the first Friday or Saturday of the month, with
                                      committee meetings the third Friday or Saturday of the month (or via phone,
                                      internet, etc.)

                                      500 buttons have been printed and are ready for distribution, to commemorate
                                      the 70th anniversary of the SS City of Milwaukee. For those purchasing them
                                      aboard the SS City of Milwaukee, I believe prices will be $15 for adults and
                                      $10 for kids, to encourage youth volunteers to obtain them. Mail price is
                                      the same as above, with $5 additional for postage and handling. Numbers
                                      451-500 are currently available aboard the SS City of Milwaukee.

                                      Numbers 9-400 are currently available by mail, by sending a check to SS City
                                      of Milwaukee, c/o George P. Micka IV., 1308 W. Summit Ave., Muskegon, MI
                                      49441. All proceeds will be used for preserving the SS City of Milwaukee,
                                      and the buttons should have good collector value. Please make checks payable
                                      to SS City of Milwaukee.

                                      Thanks.

                                      George
                                    • Dennis Stanczak
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 17, 2002
                                        Hi All:

                                        How about Kenosha, WI. The SS City of Milwaukee would be in a Lake
                                        Michigan harbor in a developing area only blocks from the public museum
                                        with access from the Metra commuter trains from Chicago and a
                                        connecting trolley line from the depot that services the harbor area.

                                        The trolley service is actually provided by vintage PCC strretcars not
                                        the buses that some cities pass off as trolleys.

                                        Thanks:

                                        Dennis Stanczak
                                        Mukwonago, WI.

                                        ...What, if anything, is docked at the former
                                        passenger terminal on Milwaukee's lakefront? The CITY of Milwaukee
                                        is missing a connection made in heaven, by not begging the SS City of
                                        Milwaukee to come across the lake. The boat would sit in prime
                                        tourist territory, just off downtown and adjacent to the Summerfest
                                        site.

                                      • sscitymilw@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 20, 2002
                                          Hi Roger,

                                          I think Manistee, Ludington and Grand Haven would be my top 3 choices.
                                          Muskegon would be nice but there are a few boats there and the building
                                          inspector isn't as reasonable as other places. Fire suppression is desirable
                                          but having enough suppression capability to sink the boat isn't.

                                          With the current volunteers, all three would be as close or closer to the
                                          volunteer base. A Wisconsin, Lake Huron, Lake Erie or Lake Ontario port
                                          would be further from the current volunteer base, although Manitowoc would
                                          work with LMC's service.

                                          As far as the railcar toy store, check out
                                          http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/news.htm

                                          If anyone would like to donate a car I'm sure I can come up with a display!
                                          C&O caboose $9,500, CN Sleeper car $10,000, boxcars $1,500, etc. Shipping
                                          $1-$2 a mile. Brake test nil if meets specs, could cost $3,000 if full COTS
                                          is needed. Not sure what that stands for but looks expensive.

                                          Like to thank all who have paid their membership dues renewals, and remind
                                          members that haven't to please send them in. We've received over $12,000 in
                                          membership dues and matching donations since Jan. 1.

                                          George
                                        • kujawa's
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 20, 2002
                                            Hi everyone.

                                            Just a thought, but the City needs to be close to the voluntiers. It has to
                                            be close enough for a team to take care of it and to run the business. I
                                            would think they should have a bigger say than I would since I'm a couple
                                            hundred miles away.

                                            Ludington or Manitowoc would be neat since the Badger runs there, but would
                                            there be anyone to take care of it. I'd approach LMC in Ludington. It
                                            couldn't hurt their business to have an attraction next door.

                                            Another thought would be to get some passenger cars or cabooses to put
                                            maritime displays in and put them on the City. This way the City could
                                            attract more boatnerds to see the other displays and the historical aspect
                                            of the city wouldn't be compromised.

                                            My $.02

                                            Roger Kujawa - Morton, Il.
                                            ark@...

                                            Advertise the Carferry Group, add the signature below to your messages:

                                            Join the Lake Michigan Railroad Carferry Group at:

                                            Message: 1

                                            Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:05:31 -0500 (CDT)
                                            From: bigbobs61@...
                                            Subject: Re: SS City of Milwaukee seeks out safe harbor

                                            Well, obviously Manistee would be most desirable as the ship is already
                                            there- wouldn't have to go further in the hole with towing charges.

                                            Chicago? No one could make a go of it with the Clipper, would anyone
                                            make an effort with the CoM?

                                            Milwaukee? God, I hope not (and I'm from Milwaukee!) If you come in here
                                            with gobs of money, the city fathers will smile kindly upon you. If not,
                                            hang onto your a** 'cuz that's all you'll be leaving with. I wouldn't
                                            trust any of 'em as far as I could see 'em on a dark, foggy night.
                                            (Anyone remember the Elizabeth Plankinton mansion? Milwaukee blew their
                                            chance with that, too.)

                                            Manistique- does anyone up there even remember the ferries?

                                            Ludington would make a nice fit- may embrace it considering the carferry
                                            heritage there. (Maybe could talk Manglitz into letting us rebuild the
                                            No. 3 slip?)

                                            Grand Haven- CoM sailed from there at the start of her career, didn't
                                            she? Wonder if you can go home again....

                                            Muskegon- can't make my mind up on that one. Nice to see, but with the
                                            Clipper, Silversides et.al, is there room for us?

                                            Lakes Erie/Ontario? No. (Sorry to anyone in that area.) CoM spent her
                                            whole life on Michigan and should stay there. They can have Aquarama-
                                            apt choice as she sailed most of her (short) career on Erie anyhow.

                                            Mackinaw City: Outside choice, as they have expressed interest in the
                                            past, though they should have kept the Wawatam there when they had the
                                            chance.

                                            SAw someone mention Kenosha. They had an interest a few years back with
                                            the William G. Mather when that ship looked to be losing it's happy home
                                            in Cleveland (tho it appears that the way things are going there, they
                                            may just have a second chance at it!)

                                            Just my 2¢ on the matter.....
                                          • sscitymilw@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 29 5:45 AM
                                              Hi everyone,
                                              FYI, the latest mailing for the S.S. City of Milwaukee. We're also planning
                                              to attend the Ludington Carferry Festival (anyone know the dates yet?).
                                              We'd probably need an act of congress to get the CofM back on the lake.
                                              If/when we get the boilers and engines restored we can work on that (she'd love
                                              to go to the carferry festival!). We'd just need a little head start in the
                                              carferry race with the Badger...
                                              Thanks,
                                              George
                                              March 25, 2006
                                              Dear Members:
                                              At our Saturday, March 11, 2006 board meeting, the Board of Directors voted
                                              6-0 to sell the Moonlite Motel sections of our property. The S.S. City of
                                              Milwaukee NHL will retain ownership of the remaining property (marina, RV, and
                                              ship parking areas). While the ship won’t be moving, our address will
                                              change to 99 Arthur Street. More details will be provided once the sale has been
                                              finalized. The sale of the property is necessary, and the proceeds can only
                                              be applied to our USDA loan. While this action will help us reduce our
                                              total debt load, additional funds are needed for operations, ship restoration,
                                              and to establish an endowment fund.
                                              Operating fund donations will be used to rehire our General Manager (Linda
                                              Spencer) and seasonal staff. Restoration funds are needed to prepare the ship
                                              for our 75th anniversary season and opening as a bed and breakfast. $5,000
                                              can fund an endowment specifically for the S.S. City of Milwaukee at the
                                              Manistee County Community Foundation. Volunteers are needed to help us remove
                                              items from the motel, repair two seawalls, clean up debris and more.
                                              Please help us honor S.S. City of Milwaukee’s 75th anniversary, by sending a
                                              donation to S.S. City of Milwaukee, 99 Arthur Street, Manistee, MI 49660.
                                              Hope to see everyone during our 75th anniversary celebration on May 27,2006
                                              (more details coming in a future mailing).
                                              Sincerely,

                                              George P. Micka IV.
                                              President
                                              Please apply my donation for $___________ towards the following fund:
                                              _____ Operating Fund _____ Ship Restoration _____
                                              Endowment Fund
                                              Name: __________________________________________________________
                                              Address: ________________________________________________________
                                              City/State/ZIP: ____________________________________________________
                                              Phone: __________________ E-mail: _________________________________
                                              S.S. City of Milwaukee 2006 Calendar of Events:
                                              April-May: Re-activate shipboard water and wastewater systems, clean
                                              Moonlite Motel property, paint weather deck, perform electrical work, and
                                              repair seawalls.
                                              May-Sept: Shipboard Tours (please call for dates/times).
                                              May 27: Celebration for S.S. City of Milwaukee’s 75th
                                              anniversary. 11:30 a.m.-dusk.
                                              May 30: Transfer of Moonlite Motel property (planned date).
                                              June-Sept. Bed and Breakfast open aboard S.S. City of Milwaukee
                                              (proposed).
                                              August 20: Annual Meeting.
                                              October: Ghost Ship.
                                              Year-round: Volunteers are welcome, please contact us for projects.

                                              Did you know? The S.S. City of Milwaukee was recently featured in an
                                              episode of the History Channel’s “Deep Sea Detectives.” The episode focused on the
                                              1929 sinking of the S.S. Milwaukee, and featured footage filmed aboard the
                                              S.S. City of Milwaukee. If possible, we’ll sell copies of the show in our
                                              gift shop this summer.
                                              We are installing over 50 compact fluorescent light bulbs aboard the ship.
                                              If we can install 100 of them, we’ll save up to $4,300 in electrical and bulb
                                              replacement costs during their lifespan. They provide more light and use
                                              less electricity than current bulbs.
                                              Special 75th anniversary t-shirts will be sold this summer, in addition to
                                              our regular gift shop merchandise. We’d like to thank members Tom & Melissa
                                              Read, for designing our 75th anniversary logo.
                                              If you have any items that you’d be willing to consider donating to the S.S.
                                              City of Milwaukee, please contact Linda Spencer at 231-723-3587.
                                              Thank you for your support!

                                            • sscitymilw@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 30, 2011
                                                Hi everyone,

                                                Just wanted to advise that the deadline for those expressing interest in
                                                running for a board position is July 1st at 1700. If interested please
                                                contact Linda Spencer at lspencer@....

                                                The next board meeting will be held at 99 Arthur Street in Manistee from
                                                0800-1000 on Sunday, August 14th. The annual meeting will follow at
                                                1000-1100. The meeting will be held outside under the shelter behind the gift
                                                shop (to allow for wireless internet access and electrical power). In case of
                                                inclement weather the meeting will be held aboard the CofM or Acacia.

                                                Thanks,

                                                George