Re: [carferry] New Member

  • Tex Smith
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 31, 2003
      Yes, Bernard, she is still in Ludington tied up next to the Spartan.

      Tex Smith
      Message 2 of 24 , May 25 11:35 AM
        Hi,

        I'm a new member not to just this forum, but to ferry enthusiasm in general. Anyway, I've
        designed a tribute to Chief Wawatam in the form of an illustration available on T-Shirts
        and Mugs etc. Please have a look at it on www.smithtwins.com .

        Cheers,
        Dennis B. Smith
        dbsmith@...

        Visit the first and only website devoted to drafting pencils:
        http://www.leadholder.com/
      • Robert Amman
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 17, 2014
          Greetings. I recognize a number of names here. I've been riding the
          car ferries across Lake Michigan since 1950. Have half a dozen books
          related to that topic. Writing my 2nd book, but it's on a different
          historical topic. I do sometimes write stories about my experiences
          related to the car ferries. One was on the City of Midland, in a storm
          in late Nov. 1966. Instead of the usual 4 hrs to cross from Manitowoc,
          it was 3 days before we got ashore again, in Ludington. At least two
          others have written of their experiences on that trip. One was very
          long, detailed and journalistic. The other was shorter, but a unique
          insider's point of view, from one of the crewmen. Each of us shared
          some of the experience in general, but had different viewpoints, facts
          and perspectives from different locations on the ship. A friend of mine
          was quite enthused to ready my hasty description in email the other
          day. So I decided it would be an opportunity to practice my writing, by
          entering and editing a series of posts on my Facebook page, along with a
          few illustrative images.

          I've corresponded with a few of you, by email, occasionally over the years.

          Thanks for accepting me as a member here.

          Robert (Bob) Amman
          Meridian Twp. (betwixt East Lansing, Haslett & Okemos), Michigan
        • Les Bagley

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 17, 2014
              Good idea Les.  Thanks for the suggestion.

              https://www.facebook.com/robert.amman.3

              Hope that works.  I think you have to be logged in on FB.

              Bob

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 17, 2014
                  Thanks Les.

                  I'm about 2/3 through writing and posting the story.  The scariest part is still to come.  I have never read about anyone who had that part of the experience.  Maybe they had it, but did not survive.

                  On 10/17/14 2:34 PM, Les Bagley divcoclub@... [carferry] wrote:

                  Thanks Robert, interesting story!

                  Sent from my iPhone

                • Nancy Keith
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 17, 2014

                    Welcome to an interesting list.  We are eager to read your posts about your experiences and knowledge of the carferries, so fire away.

                    Nancy

                    From the Port of Ludington

                    On 10/17/2014 11:03 AM, Robert Amman rj.amman@... [carferry] wrote:
[...]

                    ------------------------------------
                    Posted by: Robert Amman <rj.amman@...>

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        carferry-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        carferry-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  • pepsi24tony5
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 17, 2014
                      so you have carferry photos on your FaceBook page???  That would be great to see photos from your perspective!!
                        we have to be friends than for other people to see them??

                        Bob Kalal
                    • LakeboatMi@...
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 17, 2014
                        Welcome to the group.
                        What is your facebook name?
                        Thanks
                        Gerry

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 17, 2014
                          GUYS Can BOB's photos be seen if you don't have FaceBook?????
                          Joel

                          On Friday, October 17, 2014 8:45 PM, "LakeboatMi@... [carferry]" <carferry@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          Welcome to the group.
                          What is your facebook name?
                          Thanks
                          Gerry

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 17, 2014
                            Thank you Nancy.

                            I was unaware until recently, that Todd Reed was on your city council or similar.  Met him and Brad aboard the Badger several years ago.  Saw them snapping pics, which I do a bit also.  I was intrigued by the size and quality of their camera gear.  Conversation was friendly and interesting.  I had posted a few of their photos in my review of favorite photos in a discussion thread on another message board.  I've seen a lot more of their photos since then that seem to get even better.  Including nautical ones.  I don't know if they included my advice, but I see one of their pics of the Badger, approaching the lighthouse, with sand and shore grasses in foreground, graces the covers of card decks sold in the Badger Boatique.  I snapped up one copy there on my way back from a family wedding in Wisconsin earlier this month.  Hoped to win a 2nd deck & make a pair during Badger Bingo.  No such luck.  But as usual, struck up a few more interesting and pleasant acquaintances.

                            Todd went to Michigan State Univ. almost as long ago as I did.  It seems he learned something there, unique and valuable enough, to make a very successful small business, even during difficult economic times.  He and Brad probably work very hard to achieve that, however.

                            Bob

                            On 10/17/14 4:57 PM, Nancy Keith keithnancy@... [carferry] wrote:

                            Welcome to an interesting list.  We are eager to read your posts about your experiences and knowledge of the carferries, so fire away.

                            Nancy

                            From the Port of Ludington

                          • Robert Amman
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 17, 2014
                              Thanks for reminding me Bob K, about the FB friend options.

                              Normally I am careful to limit friends on Facebook, due to security risks.  However I have changed my settings for this thread only, so that "the Public" can read it.  You don't have to request or be accepted as my friend to see it.  You do, however need generic membership on Facebook, and be logged in, to read content there.

                              I would be glad to get impressions of what I'm writing there, from those of you who have access to Facebook.  I could use the feedback to improve my writing, for the 2nd book (on a different topic) I've been working on.

                              Bob Amman

                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 17, 2014
                                Thanks Gerry.

                                My name, is my facebook name.

                                Robert Amman

                                On 10/17/14 9:37 PM, LakeboatMi@... [carferry] wrote:

                                Welcome to the group.
                                What is your facebook name?
                                Thanks
                                Gerry

                              • Nancy Keith
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 17, 2014

                                  So you have discovered the father-son team of Todd and Brad Reed.  (Todd grew up across the street from my family, so have known them since forever...)  I have been fortunate to have taken several classes from Todd, with Brad adding his talents as he got a little older.  WONderful experiences!  Their talents overlap, but are still different enough to be very interesting.

                                  They have facebook pages, so seek them out and friend them.  Their gallery is a "must stop" place whenever you are in Ludington, and their books are treasures... each one of them.  They are very active with their photography, and the choices of exquisite, interesting photos just keep growing.  Of course, my favorites will always be the carferry ones, which started back when Todd still worked for the newspaper here, years ago.

                                  Check them out.  It's well worth the effort!  And so is a trip to their store, right downtown in Ludington.

                                  Nancy

                                  On 10/17/2014 10:50 PM, Robert Amman rj.amman@... [carferry] wrote:
[...]

                                  From the Port of Ludington

                                • Robert Amman
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 17, 2014
                                    Joel,

                                    As Les has probably noticed, I have only 3 or 4 photos posted.  These photos were taken by other people and shared publicly on the Internet for years.  I selected them as examples of the views I saw during the storm.

                                    List of car ferry books I have:
                                    S.S. City of Midland 41, by Art Chavez, 2004
                                    S. S. Badger, by Art Chavez, 2003
                                    Ludington's Carferries, The Rise, Decline & Rebirth of a Great Lakes Fleet, by The Ludington Daily News, 1997
                                    Railroad Car Ferries, by Karl Zimmermann, 1993

                                    I have thought in past, about best place to write, edit and share this story.  Several options, but none are optimal.  For now, Facebook seems to be a useful place to create the story, illustrate with a few photo images, and have it easily seen by those I know best.  After I finish it there, if readers like it well enough, I might look at porting it elsewhere.

                                    On 10/17/14 9:56 PM, joel norman mec-bml@... [carferry] wrote:

                                    GUYS Can BOB's photos be seen if you don't have FaceBook?????
                                    Joel

                                  • Robert Strauss
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 18, 2014
                                      Welcome to the group. As you know, this group is sponsored by the Society for the Preservation of the SS City of Milwaukee. I invite you to join our Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/sscitymilwaukee/ . Also see our website at www.carferry.com  new members in each are more than welcome. We've put a lot of hard work in the CoM, and we have a lot more coming up!

                                      To: carferry@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 19, 2014
                                        Thanks for the welcome Robert Strauss.  I read the Yahoo Group description before I asked to join.  And I read a sampling of posts.  But I had no idea the Society for Preservation of SS City of Milwaukee was in charge of this list.

                                        I might've had some contact with that group quite a while in the past.  I think they were still gearing up to make or enhance the SS City of Milwaukee as a museum for tourists.  If there were tours, their schedule did not coincide with mine when I was there with a friend, in the mid 1990's.

                                        I remember a few very interesting photos of the inside of the pilot house of SS City of Milwaukee.  These were probably from the website run by the Society or maybe it's forerunner.  But the photos had very limited photographic quality - grainy and faded.  I edited and improved 1 or 2 of those in Photoshop, to get a better idea of how pleasant that spot on the ship probably was, back when the ship was still in service and being well maintained.  Believe I shared results back to their source.  Also forwarded to Capt. Dean Hobbs, with whom I had some ongoing correspondence at the time, due to a close mutual friend.  I don't remember he replied to that specific email.  Now that I see all the fine photos out there, maybe he already had better access.

                                        In perusing some further messages, threads, and a few of the notable contributors to this yahoo carferry list, some things caught my attention for future comment.

                                        One in particular was the question, perhaps by Art Chavez.  If we had a time machine, and could go back in the history of the car ferries; which year(s) would we most want to see or be able to experience.  That triggered my biochemical computer into some rapid processing and almost instant top memories.

                                        One was actually sort of an evocative turning point in my life plans.  A few others were pleasant.  But also a few were things I would NOT want to do again.

                                        One day still in my teens, I looked down from some height.  I think it was on shore, near the ship.  Saw a worker not much older than me, in the back of the ferry, going about his job.  It reminded me in some ways of the work I had been doing since I was a kid growing up on the family dairy farm, with milk bottling plant and residential delivery routes in town, before customers awoke.  Unlike my work, which seemed socially isolated and unappreciated; this sailor's job seemed romantic.  Every day, passengers and other crew members saw him exercising his knowledge and skills.  And he was in a different port with different people and activities, at the end of every crossing.  Not only that, he and the ship were in black and white, at least in the spot where I saw him, while everything else was in color.  As a visual person, that had a special significance.

                                        For some time, I contemplated applying for a job and career on one of these monstrously large and adventurous ships.  My imagination of all the wonderful things in that kind of life, had a powerful appeal.  To this day, I still have a creative imagination with an optimistic view.  But then, as now, I also have an analytical mind, that is patient and persistent.

                                        Eventually, the murky outlines of patterns of daily work appeared out of the conscious mists.  And I began to see parallels between the ship crewman's tasks and mine.  Life aboard ship, might offer some interesting and enjoyable benefits.  But in the long run, they might be no better than my own life, or than other opportunities which lay before me, as result of preparation and support of my family, community and myself.

                                        However I have had a wistful fondness for things nautical, at least for the Great Lakes, and especially for Lake Michigan carferries, ever since that time.

                                        The road less travelled, or in this case the sail.
                                      • Robert Amman
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 19, 2014
                                          Dang!  There it is, way down on the bottom, below the links.

                                          My elderly eyes often miss things that are in plain view to others.  Footers, side bars or items scrolled out of view also slow to be noticed by me.  But I get there eventually.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 19, 2014
                                            Thanks for the info and suggestions Nancy.  I was in their gallery/store a few years ago.  Very appealing.  I would have liked to spend more time looking through their pictures and posters.  But I usually can't disembark from the Badger in Ludington, until after the Reed's shop closes in the evening.

                                            I did not know that Todd worked for the Ludington Daily News in past, but it doesn't surprise me.  One of my neighbors and friends here, works for the Lansing State Journal.  I think he and his wife lived in Ludington for a while too.  I know they lived in Manitowoc earlier.
                                          • rjam248911
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 20, 2014
                                              Actually the sponsorship is on the bottom of emails from this group.  I don't believe it's on the website itself.  It might've helped to know that when I signed up.
                                            • rjam248911
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 11
                                                Hallelujah !  AP has just given me permission to reprint in my blog, their newspaper clipping which I had received from Bob Kalal.  The article is entitled "They 'Rode It Out' Aboard the Carferry".  My blog is about my experience on the City of MIdland in a gale in late November 1966.  Instead of the usual 4 hours to cross from Manitowoc to Ludington, it was 3 days and nights before we got our feet on shore again.

                                                Some of you, including Bob K, have expressed interest in my photos of the ship, from my perspective.  My only camera record so far, is in the 20 watt, biological computer housed somewhere above my neck.  I don't think I took pictures and might not have even had a camera with me on that trip.  We were in avoid-sea-sick-mode initially, and later in survival mode for a while.  Photography mode didn't occur to me then, and I was only a "fair weather" friend of photography anyway.  Nowadays, in that situation, I'd have a field day.  Of course I'm more experienced, and probably also less worried about, or distracted from taking the "big sleep".

                                                I have taken a number of photos of the carferry in more recent years.  But they're pretty hum-drum.  The best photos you'll see are from skilled photogs like Todd and Brad Reed, or journalists for the local media, or occasional single shots from travelors.  I do have some photos with rather unusual angle and perspective.  A lot to sort through and pick out a representative sample, without much for viewers to gain.  Not inclined to make that effort, given many other tasks and projects with higher interest and beneficial results.

                                                My blog on FB is set to "Public", so anyone who's on FB can see it, at link below.  I'll be adding some new content soon to that blog, thanks to info provided me from Bob K.
                                                Robert Amman - The Gales of November. The normal 4 hour... | Facebook