Str. City of Milwaukee Research Request

  • dasloganboot@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hello George,

      It would be my pleasure to do research on the C of M maiden
      voyage. I will hit the Library this weekend. I need an excuse to
      take off from working every weekend. Anyone care to join me on
      Saturday morning at the Central Library downtown?

      Regards,
      Art Chavez
      Milwaukee
    • Robert Swanson
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
        Hi Art,

        I wish it were around the 15th of March, as I always get itchy to visit Milwaukee at that time of year.
        Memories of fitting out Steel Trust Lakers every year on Jones Island come flooding back, and in the
        spring I always take a trip up there to have a bowl of "Real Chili" and then drive down to Jones Island to
        sit in Kudzubes Park and think back to yesteryear!! Most of the memories from that period are good! All
        except the ones when , while I was working on the C & O Carferries when we would dock beneath the
        "Milorganite Plant" (that's not what we called it) when there was no wind and the smell would filter down
        into the "Flicker". Now that's a memory that will wake anyone up!!! :)

        Good Luck with the Research!

        Regards

        Bob Swanson
        DeWitt, Iowa

        dasloganboot@... wrote:

        > Hello George,
        >
        > It would be my pleasure to do research on the C of M maiden
        > voyage. I will hit the Library this weekend. I need an excuse to
        > take off from working every weekend. Anyone care to join me on
        > Saturday morning at the Central Library downtown?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Art Chavez
        > Milwaukee
        >

        > The Carferry List is sponsored in part by the Society for the Preservation of the S.S. City of Milwaukee.
      • Ed Pavlovic
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
          If you really want to clean out the nasal passages, take a swing by Red Star Yeast, at least it's a bit more
          tolerable than the sewer works....

          Ed Pavlovic
          Gurnee, Illinois

          Robert Swanson wrote:

          > All
          > except the ones when , while I was working on the C & O Carferries when we would dock beneath the
          > "Milorganite Plant" (that's not what we called it) when there was no wind and the smell would filter down
          > into the "Flicker". Now that's a memory that will wake anyone up!!! :)

        • ERIK JONASSON
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
            >From: Ed Pavlovic <epav1@...>
            >To: carferry@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [carferry] Str. City of Milwaukee Research Request
            >Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 21:29:41 -0600
            >
            >If you really want to clean out the nasal passages, take a swing by Red
            >Star Yeast, at least it's a bit more
            >tolerable than the sewer works....
            >
            >Ed Pavlovic
            >Gurnee, Illinois
            >

            >Robert Swanson wrote:
            >
            > > All
            > > except the ones when , while I was working on the C & O Carferries
            >when we would dock beneath the
            > > "Milorganite Plant" (that's not what we called it) when there was no
            >wind and the smell would filter down
            > > into the "Flicker". Now that's a memory that will wake anyone up!!!
            >:)
            > >
            >Have you ever been to Clinton Ia ? That a nostrillic nightmare every
            type of stink you can think of and some you have not. I used to pass
            through when working as a locomotive engineer for I&M Rail Link between
            Marquette and Nahant (Davenport). But I have too experienced
            the "milorganite" plant at Jones Isl. That's why I always thought
            Municiple Pier was much nicer !

            Erik Jonasson
            Bloomington, MN

          • Ottmann, Ken
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
              Hi Erik,
              Glad to see you're back in our loop. Artie and I kind of lost track of you.
              Is it safe to assume you aren't with Amtrack anymore?
              I find it somewhat puzzling that C & O had 2 out of 5 Wisconsin docks with
              potty plants as neighbors. The Mntwc plant just never compares to
              Milorganite though.

              Ken Ottmann

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
                Erik,

                You are certainly right about the nostril bending stench which is present in Clinton, IA . Luckily , we
                live 15 miles west of there and the prevailing winds are out of the NW , W, and SW . Even when we get a
                breeze out of the east the particulates don't make it this far!!! Whew! driving through there on my way
                to Milwaukee is another matter, especially on a calm, hot , summer day!!!

                Fair Winds

                Bob Swanson

              • Allante102@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
                  What exactly is a milorganite plant? Fertilizer? Also, FYI, I was fooling around on the net the other day and discovered a freighter named "City of Flint" that was seized by the Nazis in in 1939, released, and sunk in 1943 by a U Boat, but evidently no relation of C&O #32.
                  Tad