      From: Dave Petersen <davep@...>
      To: carferry <carferry@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sun, Sep 22, 2013 8:58 am
      Subject: [carferry] Oak Roll top Desk from the PM 22

      If anyone wants a real piece of carferry history I am selling a roll top desk, nice oak, it’s a half size with drawers on one side, it was in the Second Engineers office in the PM 22
      and was taken home by “Mac” McCormick who passed away recently, he had said that there were two matching desks, one on the PM 22 and one on the PM 21 the one from the 21 was destroyed and he got the one from the 22.
      The family wants 600.00 for the desk

      I am also listing the brass plate from one of the Skinner Engines, some C&O patches, I have Pere Marquette Brass Crew Tags that are unstamped that members of this group can have for 5.00 each postpaid, there is a stack of identical postcards if anyone does shows they would be a good buy for resale, 22 decks of LMC playing cards with the Badger, a pencil holder with pencils, there are 2 C&O Buckets a PM stamped crowbar and a C&O metal dustpan, those 4 pieces can be had for 50.00 plus postage there are 40 or 50 bars of soap 10 for 10.00 or 3 for 5.00

      I have 150 original photos by Erhardt Peters some of which were used in various books and articles I have a lot invested in his photographs, I’d like to sell the lot @ 5.00 each I know it’s a lot but I can tell you that over the years I spent many thousands in order to get Erhardts pictures to use, maybe 2 or 3 people would want to split the lot

      contact me directly if interested in any of these items

      Thanks

      Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 5:49 AM
      Subject: [carferry] Digest Number 2591

      5 New Messages

      Digest #2591
      1b
      Re: Badger Boiler Issues - tubes? by "Nancy Keith" dustbunnyraiser
      1c
      Re: Badger Boiler Issues - tubes? by "Nancy Keith" dustbunnyraiser
      1d
      Badger Boiler Issues - tubes? by "Michael McGuire" mdmcguire
      1e
      Re: Badger Boiler Issues - tubes? by "Michael Kehoe" wb9pzi

      Messages

      Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:53 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      amb3573

      You can start crying now "vanousterhout ". The Badger is sailing
      again.

      http://www.ludingto ndailynews. com/news/ 73148-ss- badger-repairs- ma\
      de-sailing-schedule -resumes
      <http://www.ludingto ndailynews. com/news/ 73148-ss- badger-repairs- m\
      ade-sailing- schedule- resumes>

      --- In carferry@yahoogroup s.com, <carferry@yahoogroup s.com>
      wrote:

      SS Badger owners have long said that they need only 3 of 4
      boilers to sail a full schedule. Are there really 2 boilers down
      right now?

      2000 - SS Badger boiler failure (only 3 of 4 boilers needed to
      sail, 2 to "get home")
      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=YTNQAAAAIBAJ& sjid=nlUDAAAAIB& #92;
      AJ&pg=6642,7157848& dq=badger+ ludington+ boiler&hl= en
      <http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=YTNQAAAAIBAJ& sjid=nlUDAAAAI&# 92;
      BAJ&pg=6642, 7157848&dq= badger+ludington +boiler&hl= en>

      Other Badger incidents:

      2001 - SS Badger engine problems cause delays.
      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=2jJQAAAAIBAJ& sjid=nFUDAAAAIB& #92;
      AJ&pg=4448,4346010& dq=ss+badger+ engines&hl= en
      <http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=2jJQAAAAIBAJ& sjid=nFUDAAAAI&# 92;
      BAJ&pg=4448, 4346010&dq= ss+badger+ engines&hl= en>

      2001 - SS Badger engine failures leave ship drifting 10-12 hours
      before tow arrives.
      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=pW5OAAAAIBAJ& sjid=50sDAAAAIB& #92;
      AJ&dq=badger% 20towed%20luding ton&pg=4241% 2C3171815
      <http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=pW5OAAAAIBAJ& sjid=50sDAAAAI&# 92;
      BAJ&dq=badger% 20towed%20luding ton&pg=4241% 2C3171815>

      2001 - Badger boiler failures.
      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=q25OAAAAIBAJ& sjid=50sDAAAAIB& #92;
      AJ&pg=5170,3968847& dq=badger+ towed+manitowoc& hl=en
      <http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=q25OAAAAIBAJ& sjid=50sDAAAAI&# 92;
      BAJ&pg=5170, 3968847&dq= badger+towed+ manitowoc&hl= en>
      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=3jJQAAAAIBAJ& sjid=nFUDAAAAIB& #92;
      AJ&pg=2261,4937588& dq=badger+ ludington+ boiler&hl= en
      <http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=3jJQAAAAIBAJ& sjid=nFUDAAAAI&# 92;
      BAJ&pg=2261, 4937588&dq= badger+ludington +boiler&hl= en>

      2002 - Badger engine failures cause cancellations - "our first of
      the season."
      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=yOZOAAAAIBAJ& sjid=_UsDAAAAIB& #92;
      AJ&dq=ss%20badger% 20cancellation&p g=5761%2C2073614
      <http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=yOZOAAAAIBAJ& sjid=_UsDAAAAI&# 92;
      BAJ&dq=ss%20badger% 20cancellation&p g=5761%2C2073614>

      2006 - badger boiler retubing.
      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=5lwIAAAAIBAJ& sjid=_TsDAAAAIB& #92;
      AJ&dq=badger% 20ludington% 20boiler&pg= 2284%2C316312
      <http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=5lwIAAAAIBAJ& sjid=_TsDAAAAI&# 92;
      BAJ&dq=badger% 20ludington% 20boiler&pg= 2284%2C316312>

      2008 - Badger stearn bearing failure causes lost days.
      http://www.wzzm13. com/print. aspx?storyid= 96833
      <http://www.wzzm13. com/print. aspx?storyid= 96833>

      2009 - Badger cuts season short to head to drydock, cuts crew due
      to "marginal profitability"
      http://www.mlive. com/news/ muskegon/ index.ssf/ 2009/09/ss_ badger_wi&# 92;
      ll_go_into_early_ d.html
      <http://www.mlive. com/news/ muskegon/ index.ssf/ 2009/09/ss_ badger_w&# 92;
      ill_go_into_ early_d.html>

      2010 Gales cause Badger to cancel trips - Lake Express completes
      sailings.
      http://www.mlive. com/news/ muskegon/ index.ssf/ 2010/09/big_ waves_ha&# 92;
      lt_lake_michigan_ f.html
      <http://www.mlive. com/news/ muskegon/ index.ssf/ 2010/09/big_ waves_h&# 92;
      alt_lake_michigan_ f.html>

      2012 - SS Badger engine failure causes SS Badger to "slice silt"
      (run aground).
      http://www.ludingto ndailynews. com/news/ 65615-badger- returns-to- lu\
      dington?story_ id=&page= 1

      --- In carferry@yahoogroup s.com <mailto:carferry@yahoogroup s.com>
      , Michael McGuire <mdmcguire@ ...> wrote:

      > Isn't it refreshing that the
      Badger is open, honest and
      transparent as to when and why it isn't sailing? Not like some
      operations. Kudos to the management for keeping customers and
      others informed.

      > Not so much with the Lake Express with
      its engine problems in
      July when the ferry was out of service for more than a week.

      http://www.jsonline .com/news/ milwaukee/ lake-express- high-speed- fe\
      rry-shut-down- for-engine- repairs-b9967366 z1-218069691. html
      <http://www.jsonline .com/news/ milwaukee/ lake-express- high-speed- f\
      erry-shut-down- for-engine- repairs-b9967366 z1-218069691. html>

      And the interruption of service in 2011 - also in late July and
      early August. Which followed an earlier engine failure in April
      which, in total, took the vessel out of service for more than 30
      days in that season.

      http://www.mlive. com/business/ west-michigan/ index.ssf/ 2011/11/lak&# 92;
      e_express_makes_ it_through. html
      <http://www.mlive. com/business/ west-michigan/ index.ssf/ 2011/11/la&# 92;
      ke_express_makes_ it_through. html>

      Not to mention numerous cancelled Lake Express sailings in 2012
      (mostly July-September) due to either "mechanical problems" or
      "choppy waters" depending on who one believes.

      > Stuff breaks. Hiding it and
      denying it is not good for a ferry
      company' s public image. Compare and contrast.

      > Michael D. McGuire
      > Grand Rapids,
      MI
      > mdmcguire@.. .

      Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:53 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Nancy Keith" dustbunnyraiser

      I would second that vote of confidence. A refreshing policy.

      Nancy

      http://www.mlive. com/business/ west-michigan/ index.ssf/ 2011/11/lake_ express_makes_ it_through. html

      Not to mention numerous cancelled Lake Express sailings in 2012
      > (mostly
      July-September) due to either "mechanical problems" or "choppy
      > waters"
      depending on who one believes.

      > Stuff breaks. Hiding it and
      denying it is not good for a ferry
      > company' s public image. Compare
      and contrast.

      > Michael D. McGuire
      > Grand Rapids,
      MI
      > mdmcguire@yahoo. com

      Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:15 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Nancy Keith" dustbunnyraiser

      YAAAAAAAAY! HOORAY!! And many loud HUZZAHS!!

      Great job, all of you who were involved. Fantastic group!

      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=YTNQAAAAIBAJ& sjid=nlUDAAAAIBA J&pg=6642, 7157848&dq= badger+ludington +boiler&hl= en

      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=2jJQAAAAIBAJ& sjid=nFUDAAAAIBA J&pg=4448, 4346010&dq= ss+badger+ engines&hl= en

      2001 - SS Badger engine failures leave ship drifting 10-12 hours
      > before
      tow arrives.

      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=pW5OAAAAIBAJ& sjid=50sDAAAAIBA J&dq=badger% 20towed%20luding ton&pg=4241% 2C3171815

      2001 - Badger boiler failures.

      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=q25OAAAAIBAJ& sjid=50sDAAAAIBA J&pg=5170, 3968847&dq= badger+towed+ manitowoc&hl= en

      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=3jJQAAAAIBAJ& sjid=nFUDAAAAIBA J&pg=2261, 4937588&dq= badger+ludington +boiler&hl= en

      2002 - Badger engine failures cause cancellations - "our first of the

      season."

      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=yOZOAAAAIBAJ& sjid=_UsDAAAAIBA J&dq=ss%20badger %20cancellation& pg=5761%2C207361 4

      2006 - badger boiler retubing.

      http://news. google.com/ newspapers? id=5lwIAAAAIBAJ& sjid=_TsDAAAAIBA J&dq=badger% 20ludington% 20boiler&pg= 2284%2C316312

      http://www.mlive. com/news/ muskegon/ index.ssf/ 2009/09/ss_ badger_will_ go_into_early_ d.html

      http://www.mlive. com/news/ muskegon/ index.ssf/ 2010/09/big_ waves_halt_ lake_michigan_ f.html

      <mdmcguire@ ...> wrote:

      > > Isn't it refreshing
      that the Badger is open, honest and
      > transparent as to when and why it
      isn't sailing? Not like some
      > operations. Kudos to the management for
      keeping customers and
      > others informed.
      > >
      > > Not so
      much with the Lake Express with its engine problems in
      > July when the
      ferry was out of service for more than a week.

      http://www.jsonline .com/news/ milwaukee/ lake-express- high-speed- ferry-shut- down-for- engine-repairs- b9967366z1- 218069691. html

      > > And the interruption of service in 2011 - also in
      late July and
      > early August. Which followed an earlier engine failure in
      April
      > which, in total, took the vessel out of service for more than
      30
      > days in that season.

      http://www.mlive. com/business/ west-michigan/ index.ssf/ 2011/11/lake_ express_makes_ it_through. html

      > > Not to mention numerous cancelled Lake Express sailings in
      2012
      > (mostly July-September) due to either "mechanical problems"
      or
      > "choppy waters" depending on who one believes.
      > >
      > > Stuff breaks. Hiding it and denying it is not good for a ferry

      company' s public image. Compare and contrast.

      > > Michael D. McGuire
      > > Grand Rapids, MI

      mdmcguire@.. .

      Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:42 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Michael McGuire" mdmcguire

      Trying to have a discussion or dialogue with someone who has only one point is useless and unenlightening for anyone else in this group.

      Saying that the Badger has had boiler or other mechanical problems and listing the few that the vessel has had over the last 13 years is pointless - and that's damaging for someone who has only one point. The Badger HAS had eight, now nine, instances of mechanical problems since 2000 that have interfered with sailing schedules No one has denied that. Lake Express has mechanical or sea state problems that interfered with sailing schedules virtually every year that it has been in operation. Cancelled sailings for the Lake Express - for short or extended periods - are virtually part of the norm. Lake Express has had many, many more cancelled sailings than the Badger. (And has sailed often when most every passenger gets sick due to the action of the vessel in the waves, but that's another point. Anyone interested should read the scathing Yelp reviews on rough passages/cancelled sailings at: http://www.yelp. com/biz/lake- express-milwauke e).*

      The initial point I made in an earlier post was that stuff breaks (or Lake conditions exceed what the vessels or passengers can be expected to tolerate). It happens a lot more to Lake Express than to the Badger, but it happens to both vessels. The real point is how the respective operators handle it. To quote myself:

      " Stuff breaks. Hiding it and denying it is not good for a
      ferry company' s public image. Compare and contrast."

      The entire point of my earlier comment was the treatment of customers, in particular, and the public when the inevitable problems DO occur. It wasn't about if one vessel or the other breaks down or can't sail. That record speaks for itself. What the operators do when that happens is the most important concern.

      Which operator treats customers/passenger s, potential customers and the pubic better insofar as notification, openness and transparency? Hands down, it's LMC and the Badger.

      The on-line customer review sites rate the Badger at 4.5 to 5 stars on a 5 star scale. The Lake Express rates 3 out of 5.

      Michael D. McGuire
      Grand Rapids, MI
      mdmcguire@yahoo. com

      *One of many such reviews of the Lake Express: "Cancelled Without Notice! I was supposed to take the ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee on a Friday afternoon. Just as I was about to leave, I
      received a robo call informing me that the trip had been canceled due to high winds. I was bummed but fortunate I hadn't started traveling yet. I rescheduled for Saturday morning. Before I left I checked my phone for
      any robo messages warning me about a cancellation and there were none. I checked Lake Express' s website and nothing was posted and nothing had
      been sent to my email box. I tried calling the office to verify I was
      good to go, but the office wouldn't be open until 9 AM the time I needed to be there to catch a 10:15 departure. After a 3 hour drive from
      Detroit, I arrived at the ferry dock in Muskegon only to learn that no
      ferries were scheduled to leave and that they had canceled everything
      the night before. I wish Lake Express would have done more to inform me
      of the cancellation so I wouldn't have traveled to Muskegon. The S.S.
      Badger does a much better job at posting cancellations to their websites so anyone can easily know if the ferry is leaving or not."

      Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:01 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Michael Kehoe" wb9pzi

      I think this issue has been exhausted and beginning to get hostile. Since
      we're all on the same side, in the larger sense (pro Badger), why don't we
      all agree to shake hands and give it a rest.

      *Mike*

      On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Michael McGuire <mdmcguire@yahoo. com>wrote:

      > **

      Trying to have a discussion or dialogue with someone who has only one

      point is useless and unenlightening for anyone else in this group.

      > Saying that the Badger has had boiler or other mechanical
      problems and
      > listing the few that the vessel has had over the last 13
      years is pointless
      > - and that's damaging for someone who has only one
      point. The Badger HAS
      > had eight, now nine, instances of mechanical
      problems since 2000 that have
      > interfered with sailing schedules No one
      has denied that. Lake Express has
      > mechanical or sea state problems that
      interfered with sailing schedules
      > virtually every year that it has been
      in operation. Cancelled sailings for
      > the Lake Express - for short or
      extended periods - are virtually part of
      > the norm. Lake Express has had
      many, many more cancelled sailings than the
      > Badger. (And has sailed
      often when most every passenger gets sick due to
      > the action of the
      vessel in the waves, but that's another point. Anyone
      > interested should
      read the scathing Yelp reviews on rough
      > passages/cancelled sailings
      at:

      http://www.yelp. com/biz/lake- express-milwauke e).*

      The initial point I made in an earlier post was that stuff breaks (or Lake
      > conditions exceed what the vessels or passengers can be expected
      > tolerate). It happens a lot more to Lake Express than to the Badger,
      but it
      > happens to both vessels. The real point is how the respective
      operators
      > handle it. To quote myself:
      >
      > " Stuff breaks.
      Hiding it and denying it is not good for a ferry company' s
      > public
      image. Compare and contrast."

      mdmcguire@yahoo. com

      --
      *NEW ADDRESS*

      Michael E. Kehoe
      wb9pzi@gmail. com
      836 - 65th Street
      #2 (Upper)
      Kenosha, WI 53143-5038
      262.658.1088
      The Yahoo! Groups Product Blog
      GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE
      The Carferry List is sponsored in part by the Society for the Preservation of the S.S. City of Milwaukee.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic