7229RE: [carferry] Re: Badger Boiler Issues - tubes?

  • Robert Strauss
    Sep 20, 2013
      Considering that the Lake Express has had all it's engine replaced or rebuilt a couple of times each since it came out (including being down for the better part of a week this season with yet another engine failure), I fail to see the point in your anti-Badger bulletins.

      To: carferry@yahoogroups.com
      From: vanousterhout@...
      Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 00:14:17 +0000
      Subject: [carferry] Re: Badger Boiler Issues - tubes?

      SS Badger owners have long said that they need only 3 of 4 boilers to sail a full schedule. Are there really 2 boilers down right now?

      2000 - SS Badger boiler failure (only 3 of 4 boilers needed to sail, 2 to "get home")
      http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=YTNQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=nlUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6642,7157848&dq=badger+ludington+boiler&hl=en

      Other Badger incidents:

      2001 - SS Badger engine problems cause delays.
      http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2jJQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=nFUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4448,4346010&dq=ss+badger+engines&hl=en

      2001 - SS Badger engine failures leave ship drifting 10-12 hours before tow arrives.
      http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=pW5OAAAAIBAJ&sjid=50sDAAAAIBAJ&dq=badger%20towed%20ludington&pg=4241%2C3171815

      2001 - Badger boiler failures.
      http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=q25OAAAAIBAJ&sjid=50sDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5170,3968847&dq=badger+towed+manitowoc&hl=en
      http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=3jJQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=nFUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2261,4937588&dq=badger+ludington+boiler&hl=en

      2002 - Badger engine failures cause cancellations - "our first of the season."
      http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=yOZOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_UsDAAAAIBAJ&dq=ss%20badger%20cancellation&pg=5761%2C2073614

      2006 - badger boiler retubing.
      http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=5lwIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_TsDAAAAIBAJ&dq=badger%20ludington%20boiler&pg=2284%2C316312

      2008 - Badger stearn bearing failure causes lost days.
      http://www.wzzm13.com/print.aspx?storyid=96833

      2009 - Badger cuts season short to head to drydock, cuts crew due to "marginal profitability"
      http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2009/09/ss_badger_will_go_into_early_d.html

      2010 Gales cause Badger to cancel trips - Lake Express completes sailings. http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2010/09/big_waves_halt_lake_michigan_f.html

      2012 - SS Badger engine failure causes SS Badger to "slice silt" (run aground).
      http://www.ludingtondailynews.com/news/65615-badger-returns-to-ludington?story_id=&page=1

      --- In carferry@yahoogroups.com, Michael McGuire <mdmcguire@...> wrote:

      > Isn't it refreshing that the Badger is open, honest and transparent as to when and why it isn't sailing? Not like some operations. Kudos to the management for keeping customers and others informed.
      >
      > Not so much with the Lake Express with its engine problems in July when the ferry was out of service for more than a week.
      > http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/lake-express-high-speed-ferry-shut-down-for-engine-repairs-b9967366z1-218069691.html
      >

      > And the interruption of service in 2011 - also in late July and early August. Which followed an earlier engine failure in April which, in total, took the vessel out of service for more than 30 days in that season.
      >
      > http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/11/lake_express_makes_it_through.html
      >
      > Not to mention numerous cancelled Lake Express sailings in 2012 (mostly July-September) due to either "mechanical problems" or "choppy waters" depending on who one believes.
      >
      > Stuff breaks. Hiding it and denying it is not good for a ferry company's public image. Compare and contrast.
      >

      > Michael D. McGuire
      > Grand Rapids, MI
      > mdmcguire@...

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic