Pictures in stories

  • Windjammers
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
      I was cruising around the internet, checking into some sites I haven't
      been to in a while and a conversation caught my eye. I thought it
      might be interesting to ask the question here.

      Some fanfic writers put still shots of the show or general background
      shots of locations in their stories to help move the story along or to
      give the reader a visual impact of the written word or for whatever
      reason. :)

      Some loved them, some hated them, some thought they were a good way to
      break up the long length of words and letters, some thought they made
      the story longer to load when they were on dialup and straight text
      was faster.

      What do you think?

      Do you like pictures from the show in the stories?
    • Lorraine Kiamco
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
        Yes, I love that being done in a fic. :)It doesn't have to be every scene. For me, I was okay with four to five frames.

        There were different creative interpretations too. I don't know if you're familiar with Supernatural: Plastic! Winchester Theater created by Anteka. She used Barbie and Ken dolls, stuff toys, etc in visualizing her serials. I luv it. It's a heavy site since they're all picture-loaded posts and be very difficult for dial-up user.

        When I was immersed in LOTR there was a site called Mellon Chronicles(a smut-free site)created by Cassia and Siobhan, used manips of the Aragon and Legolas as cover art for their stories. One example is Exile and there were many others. There were vid trailers found in the site too which were treated like story advertisements. :) They even drew a fantasy animal called Kestral, I think was the name. :) Another good fave.

        In another fic/novella series, "The Twisted Web of Fate" created by the Sinister Sindar Sisters, they depicted a scene by using action figures from Middle-earth. It was so kewl. It brought the story to life. It was a barn scene and a little girl was trying to protect an injured elf from orcs. They photoshopped the elf's wounds, added a very worried looking little girl clutching the elf's sword. A horse was neighing at the orc. Tense!

        Unfortunately, my comp crashed many ages ago and I can't find those two pictures anymore. I can't find them either online. *sigh*

        I even ventured doing that to my Charmed sons series haha then RL swooped in again and now I've forgotten how to combine things in Photoshop. Argh. lolz. So what I have stored were the last folders I've done and I haven't been able to add more scenes since. I'm trying to re-learn but my fave PS 101 site has disappeared.

        Are you planning to do this to your stories? :D

        Carpe Diem

        Visit me:
        http://thecharmedpaladinstv.blogspot.com/
        http://passagesofthepen.blogspot.com/

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2011
          On 10/12/11, Lorraine Kiamco <orionstar_25@...> wrote:
          > Yes, I love that being done in a fic. :)It doesn't have to be every scene.
          > For me, I was okay with four to five frames.

          Ditto. :)

          > There were different creative interpretations too. I don't know if you're
          > familiar with Supernatural: Plastic! Winchester Theater created by Anteka.
          > She used Barbie and Ken dolls, stuff toys, etc in visualizing her serials. I
          > luv it. It's a heavy site since they're all picture-loaded posts and be very
          > difficult for dial-up user.

          There were virtual seasons of The Sentinel written and they had the
          same story posted twice -- one with pictures, one without. I liked
          that too. Made reading them on dial up a whole lot easier.

          > I even ventured doing that to my Charmed sons series haha then RL swooped in
          > again and now I've forgotten how to combine things in Photoshop. Argh. lolz.
          > So what I have stored were the last folders I've done and I haven't been
          > able to add more scenes since. I'm trying to re-learn but my fave PS 101
          > site has disappeared.

          Do you mean combining two items into one picture? Or cropping one
          person out of one picture and putting them into another?

          > Are you planning to do this to your stories? :D

          I dunno. I might. :) My PowerDVD is a wee bit old and doesn't like
          Windows 7 very much so it's a bit twitchy. Getting it to take still
          shots isn't as easy as I'd like it to be. A picture here, a picture
          there -- that could be fun. *g*
        • Lorraine Kiamco
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13, 2011
            There were virtual seasons of The Sentinel written and they had the
            same story posted twice -- one with pictures, one without. I liked
            that too. Made reading them on dial up a whole lot easier.

            I remember receiving a warning look from our IT (whenever I visit that site)because he could see from his monitor that I'm doing more downloading than the regular. oops.
            Do you mean combining two items into one picture? Or cropping one
            person out of one picture and putting them into another?

            Most of times combining two or three pictures to make it one. So there were a lot of blending, layering, cuts, glowy effects, orbs, shrink, crop, blur, set moodiness, create textures etc. It was pretty cool. I had enjoyed it even if I ended up a little cross-eyed after finishing a scene from staring at the computer for so long. Then once that was done, I'd add the caption or not.

            I dunno. I might. :) My PowerDVD is a wee bit old and doesn't like
            Windows 7 very much so it's a bit twitchy. Getting it to take still
            shots isn't as easy as I'd like it to be. A picture here, a picture
            there -- that could be fun. *g*
            With the New Power DVD coming, screen-capping will be a breeze.:D  Let us know when you do.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 13, 2011
              On 10/13/11, Lorraine Kiamco <orionstar_25@...> wrote:

              > I remember receiving a warning look from our IT (whenever I visit that
              > site)because he could see from his monitor that I'm doing more downloading
              > than the regular. oops.

              Yeah, we had a quick lesson in the evils of using too much bandwidth
              some years ago when Napster first came out. :)

              > Do you mean combining two items into one picture? Or cropping one
              > person out of one picture and putting them into another?
              >
              > Most of times combining two or three pictures to make it one. So there were
              > a lot of blending, layering, cuts, glowy effects, orbs, shrink, crop, blur,
              > set moodiness, create textures etc. It was pretty cool. I had enjoyed it
              > even if I ended up a little cross-eyed after finishing a scene from staring
              > at the computer for so long. Then once that was done, I'd add the caption or
              > not.

              I had to use Photoshop at lot at my job. My co-workers and I got a 5
              minute lesson from our boss and then we were on our own. We'd search
              google for ways to do things and then we'd figure out how to do them
              for ourselves and show the others. When we figured out how to swap
              heads on bodies or erase people out of scenes, we were having a blast.
              :)

              > I dunno. I might. :) My PowerDVD is a wee bit old and doesn't like
              > Windows 7 very much so it's a bit twitchy. Getting it to take still
              > shots isn't as easy as I'd like it to be. A picture here, a picture
              > there -- that could be fun. *g*

              > With the New Power DVD coming, screen-capping will be a breeze.:D Let us
              > know when you do.

              Extraneous expense at the moment. :( No job, no real income so only
              the basics get bought right now. If it's not too expensive, maybe
              Santa can leave it in my stocking this Christmas. *g*