Re: New instructional materials added at coyotebanjo.com

  • jzm2500
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 20, 2005
      Holy cow..
      Well I think that Ryan, Steve, and Chris have pretty much summed it
      up, and I'm in total agreement with everything they've said. This is
      a public forum that Chris has graciously made available to us and
      has continued to maintain all this time.. As I understand it, anyone
      has the right to post an announcement about upcoming events or
      whatever they want as long as it's not an abuse of the list. If
      there are no posts about other groups/concerts/festivals, it's
      because no one came here and posted it! There have been no posts
      here about tripping up the stairs (a group that I'm a part of)
      because none of us have taken the time to do it.

      If there's a problem with the dance times, someone should get on
      here and post a polite message with correct times! Surely it's not
      Chris's responsibility to keep up w/ this.

      I'd also like to echo Steve's remarks about your insinuation that
      there is a division amongst the musicians here. Nothing could be
      further from the truth! Last Night's Fun is a wonderful group, and I
      go to their performances whenever I can. Chris, Angi, John, and
      Steve are all people who I would call friends. Not to mention the
      fact the we play music w/ them most Friday nights! Your comment
      about tripping up the stairs could be misconstrued in all sorts of
      ways that I'm assuming you didn't consider...

      PEACE!
      Jonathan Milton

      --- In caprockcelts@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole Ramirez-Lambeth"
      <nikki_338@h...> wrote:

      > This listing has become a directory for Chris Smith related things
      only. I
      > find it disconcerting that there are many other Celtic community
      activities
      > available throughout west Texas and the panhandle, and the only
      ones I find
      > on here are the ones involving Mr. Smith. The lack of mention of
      last
      > weekend's Celtic festival in Amarillo, and the innacurate
      scheduling info
      > for the dance classes (like when they host a ceili or have
      cancelled
      > classes, for instance), reflects your lack of respect and/or
      interest in
      > other members of the local Celtic community who have done (thus
      far) an
      > outstanding job of supporting you.
      >
      > Until you find some room on your list to graciously post
      information for
      > non-Smith related activities, please remove my name from the
      mailing list. I
      > couldn't care less about whatever BS you've posted on your
      website; I do
      > care about relevant activities being mentioned to those who might
      be
      > interested, because word of mouth does not get around to everyone.
      >
      > By the way, to those that are interested, I quite recommend
      catching Steve
      > Finley's new band "Tripping Up the Stairs" (featuring some
      fantastic
      > musicians!) There is no longer just one "premier" Irish band in
      town, folks!

      > We are taught that man most loves and admires the domestic type of
      woman.
      > This is one of the roaring jokes of history...the breakers of
      hearts, the
      > queens of romance, and goddesses of a thousand devotees have not
      been cooks.
      > - C.P. Gilman

    • stephen finley
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 20, 2005
        Man...

        I don't post much to this group--or at least not much
        of any real worth--but boy, do I have to pipe in now.
        Some of the people on this list are particularly
        important folks to me, so it matters to me that we get
        this right, and that nobody goes away thinking the
        wrong things.

        Going subject by subject (not necessarily in the order
        in which they were brought up, and please remember, I
        still haven't caught up with any of the mail sent
        today [Thursday], so if anything seems repetitive or
        inappropriate, I'll apologize/correct/whatever in a
        little bit):

        1. Tripping Up the Stairs is nowhere NEAR "my" band.
        It could be that that statement wasn't meant in
        exactly the way that sounds; might have been one of
        those "how email comes off in the absence of human
        contact" things. But I am the _fourth_ member of that
        four-person group, both chronologically and in terms
        of dispensability, and lucky as hell to be playing
        with them.

        Another group, Roan Inish, sort of a Lubbock-side
        evolution of the County Hockley group out at South
        Plains College in Levelland, lets me bang and hack
        away at guitar with them, too. I'm not sure why. I
        think they're on a hire-the-disabled track. Already
        got an English guy, now they gotta get a
        harmony-impaired guy.

        I do appreciate the plug, and we'd love to be playing
        whenever we can, particularly for pay. But man...it
        is the melody players in Tripping, definitely _not_
        me, that make that group what it is, and I'll let them
        identify themselves if and when they wish. I love
        'em, and I am totally secondary to what they do. I've
        been playing with one of them since at least as far
        back as late '99 or early 2000, when a bunch of us
        used to get together at J&B Coffee Co. over on Boston.
        I mean, we go back.

        I'm in both of those bands not only because of the
        outright charity of the melody players involved, but
        because Last Night's Fun was well-staffed. Boy are
        they ever. And with people who are like brothers (and
        a sister) to me. Well, really, Steve is more the
        brother thing. I'd step in front of a bus for him.
        With John and me, it's more of a physical thing, but
        that's probably not anything anybody wants to hear
        about. But you've got to appreciate what these guys
        have done. Who else is doing it? Who else got it
        together at that level of musicianship earlier, more
        organized, and more focused than they did?

        Yeah, sometimes the "premier band" stuff (although
        they've earned it) and the "real deal" stuff makes
        people kinda go "erk," probably because it comes off
        differently in print than it's really intended. I
        mean, promotion is promotion. But I can tell you that
        there has never been a time, _ever_, when I have
        failed to learn something at a session Chris has put
        together and where those guys are playing. I learn
        something from Angie about chording, various
        progressions, etc., every time I'm in a session with
        her. (And when Chris takes over guitar for a song by
        someone, mostly what I learn is I should put my own
        guitar away in a closet somewhere. It's humbling, to
        put it in the mildest possible terms.) It would be
        totally wrong not to acknowledge what these guys have
        meant by being the earliest band out there at their
        level, and what it has meant for Chris (and others,
        for that matter) to keep these sessions going.

        2. There is room on this list for any activity that
        anybody wants to post (Celtic-Irish-Scottish-cultural
        related, that is), as far as I know. I know of no
        effort by Chris or anyone else to keep stuff off the
        list. This means, for instance:

        -- If there is inaccurate scheduling info for Irish
        dance classes in Lubbock, that is the responsibility
        of the dance school, which means it's my and my wife's
        fault for not keeping up with it. Not Chris's. Not
        anybody else's.

        -- If the Amarillo festival wasn't mentioned,
        that's not because Chris is keeping it off, nor is it
        his responsibility to make sure it's on there. The
        organizers and/or participants can post it anytime
        they want.

        -- If Chris has stuff he wants to post here, of
        course he should do it. Lots of people are interested
        in where he and/or Last Night's Fun are performing,
        what they're doing. Lots of people will buy his CDs.
        Etc. There is no reason in the world for him to avoid
        posting his own stuff because other people aren't
        posting theirs.

        In short--and please, somebody, correct me if I'm
        wrong about this--Chris isn't, and shouldn't be, under
        any obligation to keep up with anybody else's stuff.
        The absence of other people's stuff on this list is
        not an indication of anything other than having more
        to do than to keep up with everybody else's schedule.
        Or at least I don't think so.

        I mean, the guy runs the list in addition to
        everything else that's going on. Plenty good enough
        for me.

        3. Some of the people on this list probably are aware
        of occasionally snippiness or disagreements that go
        further than they probably should, things like that.
        Damn artist-musicians, I swear. (Fortunately, I
        myself have never ever gotten my back up over stuff
        that wasn't worth it. Hmm-mm.) But whatever
        occasional disagreements have happened, the big
        picture is that Irish music around here absolutely,
        positively would not be what it is right now without
        Chris and a bunch of people who have learned from him
        at slow sessions and elsewhere.

        What's more, if you talk to some of the people who go
        out of town to sessions, they'll tell you that the
        level of musicianship here, especially considering it
        started widely about six years ago at most, is pretty
        remarkable. Other musicians here have dropped in on
        sessions in, for instance, Houston and New York State
        (speaking for two members of Tripping), and they
        couldn't match what was here. Not to say you couldn't
        find a killer session in New York or Houston; of
        course you could. But the point is, not _all_ of them
        are even as good as ours. For the population here,
        we're in notably good shape, and nobody has had a
        bigger part in that than Chris Smith.

        I mean, seriously: Last night, I played with Roan
        Inish at Marc Mason Harper's memorial open-mike thing
        at the Spoon; we had played at a benefit thing for him
        at Bash Riprock's back in July (I think), and we're
        also playing at a genealogical society thing on Friday
        night. Tripping just played in Amarillo, and we
        played at Sugar Brown's before that, and probably will
        again. LNF is wherever, doing whatever they do;
        they've always got bookings one place or another, both
        in town and out of town. Even in Ireland, for God's
        sakes. So what's going on here? Between LNF,
        Tripping, Roan Inish, and County Hockley--however you
        assess the relative value of those groups, however
        fledgling or advanced they might be--there are four
        bands playing this kind of music regularly around here
        these days. Four. Somebody's doing something right.
        Yeah, some of us were playing before Chris got here,
        doing the best we could, and even doing OK at times.
        But nothing like since Chris came. It would be
        completely wrong to understate the value of what he
        has meant to this community. I could not be more
        serious about this. This is obvious to the point of
        being self-evident.

        4. I'm personally thrilled to have Chris plugging his
        stuff on the list, because I don't see any of this as
        a zero-sum thing. It's not like if he does well,
        somebody else suffers; in fact, it's the opposite.
        The more interest is created, the more everybody
        benefits. I hope you sell a million copies, Chris.
        I'm serious about that. I wish we had our own CD to
        put out there. (Anybody wanna advance-order, we'll
        take the cash. Just call me personally.)

        5. As for the stuff posted on Chris's website, I have
        found that pretty much unfailingly useful, which is
        why I posted a thank-you a couple of weeks ago to one
        in particular that I thought was very good for
        harmonists like guitar players and such. If I knew a
        beginning guitarist (even more beginning than me, I
        mean), that's where I'd point 'em. That, and his book
        on accompanying melody players. (That one's on
        Amazon, or was last time I looked.)

        Not all of the above is addressing anything
        specifically from anybody's previous post. Some of it
        is just stuff that needs to be said. And none of it
        is intended to piss anybody off; all of it _is_
        intended to move away from contentiousness and from
        the idea that we're in some kind of competition.

        Steve Finley (pints all around, but you pay)

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Clint Boal