Seeing the world through a dirty lense.

  • S.
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 20, 2005
      Nicole,
      Those who wish to inform people about events, performances, or classes, or even expose their crappy wee attitudes are (obviously) free to do so as members of the list. It's rather obvious you understand how to post - so where have you been with all that information?

      As musicians, we play the music with respect and dedication, and the fact that there is more than one Irish band in Lubbock, Texas is wonderful. It isn't a point of contention or division with the musicians - so I wonder why anyone would attempt to make something good into a point of division unless, perhaps. that's just the way their lives play out on a daily basis. You've pretty well tarred the lot of us in your misinformed, miscalculated, inaccurate, post. The members of Tripping Up Stairs are great musicians, and friends and colleagues of mine. I don't appreciate your insinuation that we're fragmented and in opposition to one another. I look forward to playing with them any chance I get.

      If you've got an issue with Chris - take it up with him personally. I would suggest over a cup of coffee so your emotions and courtesy can cross-check themselves as you look into another human being's eyes.

      Do come 'round and introduce yourself personally, to me, next time you're out supporting those of us who play and entertain you for nothing. I'd like to have a face to associate with anyone who is so cock-sure they understand who needs to be told how the cow ate the cabbage in a public venue. I'm the flute/whistle player with the white hair, and I'll be more than happy to talk with you. If you'd like to visit with me outside of a session, please contact me off-list and we can arrange to meet.

      Steve

      Nicole Ramirez-Lambeth <nikki_338@...> wrote:
      This listing has become a directory for Chris Smith related things only. I
      find it disconcerting that there are many other Celtic community activities
      available throughout west Texas and the panhandle, and the only ones I find
      on here are the ones involving Mr. Smith. The lack of mention of last
      weekend's Celtic festival in Amarillo, and the innacurate scheduling info
      for the dance classes (like when they host a ceili or have cancelled
      classes, for instance), reflects your lack of respect and/or interest in
      other members of the local Celtic community who have done (thus far) an
      outstanding job of supporting you.

      Until you find some room on your list to graciously post information for
      non-Smith related activities, please remove my name from the mailing list. I
      couldn't care less about whatever BS you've posted on your website; I do
      care about relevant activities being mentioned to those who might be
      interested, because word of mouth does not get around to everyone.

      By the way, to those that are interested, I quite recommend catching Steve
      Finley's new band "Tripping Up the Stairs" (featuring some fantastic
      musicians!) There is no longer just one "premier" Irish band in town, folks!

      We are taught that man most loves and admires the domestic type of woman.
      This is one of the roaring jokes of history...the breakers of hearts, the
      queens of romance, and goddesses of a thousand devotees have not been cooks.
        - C.P. Gilman

    • j johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 20, 2005

        Dear Caprock Celts :

        Hi this is Judy the brown haired Nursing graduate student who used to come to slow practice and play flute this summer. I have had the semester bite me real hard and I’ve been unable to make any of the practices, and I have been missing you all.  I hope that it is okay for me to still be part of the list, just to keep informed of events. I do love the Celtic music. And Steve your flute playing is quite an inspiration to me, even tho I doubt I’ll have time to be able to pick mine up anytime before I graduate next December.

        Is Chris still selling the CD he mentioned of Last Nights Fun? If so I’d like to get one.

        Judy Johnson

[...]

      • Smith, Christopher
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 20, 2005

          Judy:

          Yes, you are very welcome to continue as a member of the list, in whatever capacity works for you, and like all other members are very welcome to post queries, corrections, announcements, and so on. Feel free to contact me offlist (chris@...) about CD’s.

          Best,

          cjs

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 20, 2005
            Holy cow..
            Well I think that Ryan, Steve, and Chris have pretty much summed it
            up, and I'm in total agreement with everything they've said. This is
            a public forum that Chris has graciously made available to us and
            has continued to maintain all this time.. As I understand it, anyone
            has the right to post an announcement about upcoming events or
            whatever they want as long as it's not an abuse of the list. If
            there are no posts about other groups/concerts/festivals, it's
            because no one came here and posted it! There have been no posts
            here about tripping up the stairs (a group that I'm a part of)
            because none of us have taken the time to do it.

            If there's a problem with the dance times, someone should get on
            here and post a polite message with correct times! Surely it's not
            Chris's responsibility to keep up w/ this.

            I'd also like to echo Steve's remarks about your insinuation that
            there is a division amongst the musicians here. Nothing could be
            further from the truth! Last Night's Fun is a wonderful group, and I
            go to their performances whenever I can. Chris, Angi, John, and
            Steve are all people who I would call friends. Not to mention the
            fact the we play music w/ them most Friday nights! Your comment
            about tripping up the stairs could be misconstrued in all sorts of
            ways that I'm assuming you didn't consider...

            PEACE!
            Jonathan Milton

            --- In caprockcelts@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole Ramirez-Lambeth"
            <nikki_338@h...> wrote:

            > This listing has become a directory for Chris Smith related things
            only. I
            > find it disconcerting that there are many other Celtic community
            activities
            > available throughout west Texas and the panhandle, and the only
            ones I find
            > on here are the ones involving Mr. Smith. The lack of mention of
            last
            > weekend's Celtic festival in Amarillo, and the innacurate
            scheduling info
            > for the dance classes (like when they host a ceili or have
            cancelled
            > classes, for instance), reflects your lack of respect and/or
            interest in
            > other members of the local Celtic community who have done (thus
            far) an
            > outstanding job of supporting you.
            >
            > Until you find some room on your list to graciously post
            information for
            > non-Smith related activities, please remove my name from the
            mailing list. I
            > couldn't care less about whatever BS you've posted on your
            website; I do
            > care about relevant activities being mentioned to those who might
            be
            > interested, because word of mouth does not get around to everyone.
            >
            > By the way, to those that are interested, I quite recommend
            catching Steve
            > Finley's new band "Tripping Up the Stairs" (featuring some
            fantastic
            > musicians!) There is no longer just one "premier" Irish band in
            town, folks!

            > We are taught that man most loves and admires the domestic type of
            woman.
            > This is one of the roaring jokes of history...the breakers of
            hearts, the
            > queens of romance, and goddesses of a thousand devotees have not
            been cooks.
            > - C.P. Gilman

          • stephen finley
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 20, 2005
              Man...

              I don't post much to this group--or at least not much
              of any real worth--but boy, do I have to pipe in now.
              Some of the people on this list are particularly
              important folks to me, so it matters to me that we get
              this right, and that nobody goes away thinking the
              wrong things.

              Going subject by subject (not necessarily in the order
              in which they were brought up, and please remember, I
              still haven't caught up with any of the mail sent
              today [Thursday], so if anything seems repetitive or
              inappropriate, I'll apologize/correct/whatever in a
              little bit):

              1. Tripping Up the Stairs is nowhere NEAR "my" band.
              It could be that that statement wasn't meant in
              exactly the way that sounds; might have been one of
              those "how email comes off in the absence of human
              contact" things. But I am the _fourth_ member of that
              four-person group, both chronologically and in terms
              of dispensability, and lucky as hell to be playing
              with them.

              Another group, Roan Inish, sort of a Lubbock-side
              evolution of the County Hockley group out at South
              Plains College in Levelland, lets me bang and hack
              away at guitar with them, too. I'm not sure why. I
              think they're on a hire-the-disabled track. Already
              got an English guy, now they gotta get a
              harmony-impaired guy.

              I do appreciate the plug, and we'd love to be playing
              whenever we can, particularly for pay. But man...it
              is the melody players in Tripping, definitely _not_
              me, that make that group what it is, and I'll let them
              identify themselves if and when they wish. I love
              'em, and I am totally secondary to what they do. I've
              been playing with one of them since at least as far
              back as late '99 or early 2000, when a bunch of us
              used to get together at J&B Coffee Co. over on Boston.
              I mean, we go back.

              I'm in both of those bands not only because of the
              outright charity of the melody players involved, but
              because Last Night's Fun was well-staffed. Boy are
              they ever. And with people who are like brothers (and
              a sister) to me. Well, really, Steve is more the
              brother thing. I'd step in front of a bus for him.
              With John and me, it's more of a physical thing, but
              that's probably not anything anybody wants to hear
              about. But you've got to appreciate what these guys
              have done. Who else is doing it? Who else got it
              together at that level of musicianship earlier, more
              organized, and more focused than they did?

              Yeah, sometimes the "premier band" stuff (although
              they've earned it) and the "real deal" stuff makes
              people kinda go "erk," probably because it comes off
              differently in print than it's really intended. I
              mean, promotion is promotion. But I can tell you that
              there has never been a time, _ever_, when I have
              failed to learn something at a session Chris has put
              together and where those guys are playing. I learn
              something from Angie about chording, various
              progressions, etc., every time I'm in a session with
              her. (And when Chris takes over guitar for a song by
              someone, mostly what I learn is I should put my own
              guitar away in a closet somewhere. It's humbling, to
              put it in the mildest possible terms.) It would be
              totally wrong not to acknowledge what these guys have
              meant by being the earliest band out there at their
              level, and what it has meant for Chris (and others,
              for that matter) to keep these sessions going.

              2. There is room on this list for any activity that
              anybody wants to post (Celtic-Irish-Scottish-cultural
              related, that is), as far as I know. I know of no
              effort by Chris or anyone else to keep stuff off the
              list. This means, for instance:

              -- If there is inaccurate scheduling info for Irish
              dance classes in Lubbock, that is the responsibility
              of the dance school, which means it's my and my wife's
              fault for not keeping up with it. Not Chris's. Not
              anybody else's.

              -- If the Amarillo festival wasn't mentioned,
              that's not because Chris is keeping it off, nor is it
              his responsibility to make sure it's on there. The
              organizers and/or participants can post it anytime
              they want.

              -- If Chris has stuff he wants to post here, of
              course he should do it. Lots of people are interested
              in where he and/or Last Night's Fun are performing,
              what they're doing. Lots of people will buy his CDs.
              Etc. There is no reason in the world for him to avoid
              posting his own stuff because other people aren't
              posting theirs.

              In short--and please, somebody, correct me if I'm
              wrong about this--Chris isn't, and shouldn't be, under
              any obligation to keep up with anybody else's stuff.
              The absence of other people's stuff on this list is
              not an indication of anything other than having more
              to do than to keep up with everybody else's schedule.
              Or at least I don't think so.

              I mean, the guy runs the list in addition to
              everything else that's going on. Plenty good enough
              for me.

              3. Some of the people on this list probably are aware
              of occasionally snippiness or disagreements that go
              further than they probably should, things like that.
              Damn artist-musicians, I swear. (Fortunately, I
              myself have never ever gotten my back up over stuff
              that wasn't worth it. Hmm-mm.) But whatever
              occasional disagreements have happened, the big
              picture is that Irish music around here absolutely,
              positively would not be what it is right now without
              Chris and a bunch of people who have learned from him
              at slow sessions and elsewhere.

              What's more, if you talk to some of the people who go
              out of town to sessions, they'll tell you that the
              level of musicianship here, especially considering it
              started widely about six years ago at most, is pretty
              remarkable. Other musicians here have dropped in on
              sessions in, for instance, Houston and New York State
              (speaking for two members of Tripping), and they
              couldn't match what was here. Not to say you couldn't
              find a killer session in New York or Houston; of
              course you could. But the point is, not _all_ of them
              are even as good as ours. For the population here,
              we're in notably good shape, and nobody has had a
              bigger part in that than Chris Smith.

              I mean, seriously: Last night, I played with Roan
              Inish at Marc Mason Harper's memorial open-mike thing
              at the Spoon; we had played at a benefit thing for him
              at Bash Riprock's back in July (I think), and we're
              also playing at a genealogical society thing on Friday
              night. Tripping just played in Amarillo, and we
              played at Sugar Brown's before that, and probably will
              again. LNF is wherever, doing whatever they do;
              they've always got bookings one place or another, both
              in town and out of town. Even in Ireland, for God's
              sakes. So what's going on here? Between LNF,
              Tripping, Roan Inish, and County Hockley--however you
              assess the relative value of those groups, however
              fledgling or advanced they might be--there are four
              bands playing this kind of music regularly around here
              these days. Four. Somebody's doing something right.
              Yeah, some of us were playing before Chris got here,
              doing the best we could, and even doing OK at times.
              But nothing like since Chris came. It would be
              completely wrong to understate the value of what he
              has meant to this community. I could not be more
              serious about this. This is obvious to the point of
              being self-evident.

              4. I'm personally thrilled to have Chris plugging his
              stuff on the list, because I don't see any of this as
              a zero-sum thing. It's not like if he does well,
              somebody else suffers; in fact, it's the opposite.
              The more interest is created, the more everybody
              benefits. I hope you sell a million copies, Chris.
              I'm serious about that. I wish we had our own CD to
              put out there. (Anybody wanna advance-order, we'll
              take the cash. Just call me personally.)

              5. As for the stuff posted on Chris's website, I have
              found that pretty much unfailingly useful, which is
              why I posted a thank-you a couple of weeks ago to one
              in particular that I thought was very good for
              harmonists like guitar players and such. If I knew a
              beginning guitarist (even more beginning than me, I
              mean), that's where I'd point 'em. That, and his book
              on accompanying melody players. (That one's on
              Amazon, or was last time I looked.)

              Not all of the above is addressing anything
              specifically from anybody's previous post. Some of it
              is just stuff that needs to be said. And none of it
              is intended to piss anybody off; all of it _is_
              intended to move away from contentiousness and from
              the idea that we're in some kind of competition.

              Steve Finley (pints all around, but you pay)

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Clint Boal