RE: [caprockcelts] New instructional materials added at coyotebanjo.com

  • Nicole Ramirez-Lambeth
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 19, 2005
      This listing has become a directory for Chris Smith related things only. I
      find it disconcerting that there are many other Celtic community activities
      available throughout west Texas and the panhandle, and the only ones I find
      on here are the ones involving Mr. Smith. The lack of mention of last
      weekend's Celtic festival in Amarillo, and the innacurate scheduling info
      for the dance classes (like when they host a ceili or have cancelled
      classes, for instance), reflects your lack of respect and/or interest in
      other members of the local Celtic community who have done (thus far) an
      outstanding job of supporting you.

      Until you find some room on your list to graciously post information for
      non-Smith related activities, please remove my name from the mailing list. I
      couldn't care less about whatever BS you've posted on your website; I do
      care about relevant activities being mentioned to those who might be
      interested, because word of mouth does not get around to everyone.

      By the way, to those that are interested, I quite recommend catching Steve
      Finley's new band "Tripping Up the Stairs" (featuring some fantastic
      musicians!) There is no longer just one "premier" Irish band in town, folks!

      We are taught that man most loves and admires the domestic type of woman.
      This is one of the roaring jokes of history...the breakers of hearts, the
      queens of romance, and goddesses of a thousand devotees have not been cooks.
      - C.P. Gilman
    • Ryan King
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 19, 2005
        On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 11:23:47PM -0500, Nicole Ramirez-Lambeth wrote:
        > Until you find some room on your list to graciously post information for
        > non-Smith related activities, please remove my name from the mailing list.

        An interesting response.

        Chris pours an immense amount of his self into all of this, while getting
        hardly anything in return.

        So, now, he's supposed to keep us up to date on the things he's involved
        with, /and/ play newsboy for everyone else?

        There's nothing to keep anyone from posting to this mailing list. Such as
        your mention of "Tripping Up the Stairs" - fantastic. I'll definitely look
        further.

        * rking slides a Pint Nicole's way.

        Next time, how about the info without the bile?

        -rjk
      • S.
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 20, 2005
          Nicole,
          Those who wish to inform people about events, performances, or classes, or even expose their crappy wee attitudes are (obviously) free to do so as members of the list. It's rather obvious you understand how to post - so where have you been with all that information?

          As musicians, we play the music with respect and dedication, and the fact that there is more than one Irish band in Lubbock, Texas is wonderful. It isn't a point of contention or division with the musicians - so I wonder why anyone would attempt to make something good into a point of division unless, perhaps. that's just the way their lives play out on a daily basis. You've pretty well tarred the lot of us in your misinformed, miscalculated, inaccurate, post. The members of Tripping Up Stairs are great musicians, and friends and colleagues of mine. I don't appreciate your insinuation that we're fragmented and in opposition to one another. I look forward to playing with them any chance I get.

          If you've got an issue with Chris - take it up with him personally. I would suggest over a cup of coffee so your emotions and courtesy can cross-check themselves as you look into another human being's eyes.

          Do come 'round and introduce yourself personally, to me, next time you're out supporting those of us who play and entertain you for nothing. I'd like to have a face to associate with anyone who is so cock-sure they understand who needs to be told how the cow ate the cabbage in a public venue. I'm the flute/whistle player with the white hair, and I'll be more than happy to talk with you. If you'd like to visit with me outside of a session, please contact me off-list and we can arrange to meet.

          Steve

          Nicole Ramirez-Lambeth <nikki_338@...> wrote:
[...]

        • j johnson
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 20, 2005

            Dear Caprock Celts :

            Hi this is Judy the brown haired Nursing graduate student who used to come to slow practice and play flute this summer. I have had the semester bite me real hard and I’ve been unable to make any of the practices, and I have been missing you all.  I hope that it is okay for me to still be part of the list, just to keep informed of events. I do love the Celtic music. And Steve your flute playing is quite an inspiration to me, even tho I doubt I’ll have time to be able to pick mine up anytime before I graduate next December.

            Is Chris still selling the CD he mentioned of Last Nights Fun? If so I’d like to get one.

            Judy Johnson

[...]

          • Smith, Christopher
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 20, 2005

              Judy:

              Yes, you are very welcome to continue as a member of the list, in whatever capacity works for you, and like all other members are very welcome to post queries, corrections, announcements, and so on. Feel free to contact me offlist (chris@...) about CD’s.

              Best,

              cjs

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 20, 2005
                Holy cow..
                Well I think that Ryan, Steve, and Chris have pretty much summed it
                up, and I'm in total agreement with everything they've said. This is
                a public forum that Chris has graciously made available to us and
                has continued to maintain all this time.. As I understand it, anyone
                has the right to post an announcement about upcoming events or
                whatever they want as long as it's not an abuse of the list. If
                there are no posts about other groups/concerts/festivals, it's
                because no one came here and posted it! There have been no posts
                here about tripping up the stairs (a group that I'm a part of)
                because none of us have taken the time to do it.

                If there's a problem with the dance times, someone should get on
                here and post a polite message with correct times! Surely it's not
                Chris's responsibility to keep up w/ this.

                I'd also like to echo Steve's remarks about your insinuation that
                there is a division amongst the musicians here. Nothing could be
                further from the truth! Last Night's Fun is a wonderful group, and I
                go to their performances whenever I can. Chris, Angi, John, and
                Steve are all people who I would call friends. Not to mention the
                fact the we play music w/ them most Friday nights! Your comment
                about tripping up the stairs could be misconstrued in all sorts of
                ways that I'm assuming you didn't consider...

                PEACE!
                Jonathan Milton

                --- In caprockcelts@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole Ramirez-Lambeth"
                <nikki_338@h...> wrote:

                > This listing has become a directory for Chris Smith related things
                only. I
                > find it disconcerting that there are many other Celtic community
                activities
                > available throughout west Texas and the panhandle, and the only
                ones I find
                > on here are the ones involving Mr. Smith. The lack of mention of
                last
                > weekend's Celtic festival in Amarillo, and the innacurate
                scheduling info
                > for the dance classes (like when they host a ceili or have
                cancelled
                > classes, for instance), reflects your lack of respect and/or
                interest in
                > other members of the local Celtic community who have done (thus
                far) an
                > outstanding job of supporting you.
                >
                > Until you find some room on your list to graciously post
                information for
                > non-Smith related activities, please remove my name from the
                mailing list. I
                > couldn't care less about whatever BS you've posted on your
                website; I do
                > care about relevant activities being mentioned to those who might
                be
                > interested, because word of mouth does not get around to everyone.
                >
                > By the way, to those that are interested, I quite recommend
                catching Steve
                > Finley's new band "Tripping Up the Stairs" (featuring some
                fantastic
                > musicians!) There is no longer just one "premier" Irish band in
                town, folks!

                > We are taught that man most loves and admires the domestic type of
                woman.
                > This is one of the roaring jokes of history...the breakers of
                hearts, the
                > queens of romance, and goddesses of a thousand devotees have not
                been cooks.
                > - C.P. Gilman

              • stephen finley
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 20, 2005
                  Man...

                  I don't post much to this group--or at least not much
                  of any real worth--but boy, do I have to pipe in now.
                  Some of the people on this list are particularly
                  important folks to me, so it matters to me that we get
                  this right, and that nobody goes away thinking the
                  wrong things.

                  Going subject by subject (not necessarily in the order
                  in which they were brought up, and please remember, I
                  still haven't caught up with any of the mail sent
                  today [Thursday], so if anything seems repetitive or
                  inappropriate, I'll apologize/correct/whatever in a
                  little bit):

                  1. Tripping Up the Stairs is nowhere NEAR "my" band.
                  It could be that that statement wasn't meant in
                  exactly the way that sounds; might have been one of
                  those "how email comes off in the absence of human
                  contact" things. But I am the _fourth_ member of that
                  four-person group, both chronologically and in terms
                  of dispensability, and lucky as hell to be playing
                  with them.

                  Another group, Roan Inish, sort of a Lubbock-side
                  evolution of the County Hockley group out at South
                  Plains College in Levelland, lets me bang and hack
                  away at guitar with them, too. I'm not sure why. I
                  think they're on a hire-the-disabled track. Already
                  got an English guy, now they gotta get a
                  harmony-impaired guy.

                  I do appreciate the plug, and we'd love to be playing
                  whenever we can, particularly for pay. But man...it
                  is the melody players in Tripping, definitely _not_
                  me, that make that group what it is, and I'll let them
                  identify themselves if and when they wish. I love
                  'em, and I am totally secondary to what they do. I've
                  been playing with one of them since at least as far
                  back as late '99 or early 2000, when a bunch of us
                  used to get together at J&B Coffee Co. over on Boston.
                  I mean, we go back.

                  I'm in both of those bands not only because of the
                  outright charity of the melody players involved, but
                  because Last Night's Fun was well-staffed. Boy are
                  they ever. And with people who are like brothers (and
                  a sister) to me. Well, really, Steve is more the
                  brother thing. I'd step in front of a bus for him.
                  With John and me, it's more of a physical thing, but
                  that's probably not anything anybody wants to hear
                  about. But you've got to appreciate what these guys
                  have done. Who else is doing it? Who else got it
                  together at that level of musicianship earlier, more
                  organized, and more focused than they did?

                  Yeah, sometimes the "premier band" stuff (although
                  they've earned it) and the "real deal" stuff makes
                  people kinda go "erk," probably because it comes off
                  differently in print than it's really intended. I
                  mean, promotion is promotion. But I can tell you that
                  there has never been a time, _ever_, when I have
                  failed to learn something at a session Chris has put
                  together and where those guys are playing. I learn
                  something from Angie about chording, various
                  progressions, etc., every time I'm in a session with
                  her. (And when Chris takes over guitar for a song by
                  someone, mostly what I learn is I should put my own
                  guitar away in a closet somewhere. It's humbling, to
                  put it in the mildest possible terms.) It would be
                  totally wrong not to acknowledge what these guys have
                  meant by being the earliest band out there at their
                  level, and what it has meant for Chris (and others,
                  for that matter) to keep these sessions going.

                  2. There is room on this list for any activity that
                  anybody wants to post (Celtic-Irish-Scottish-cultural
                  related, that is), as far as I know. I know of no
                  effort by Chris or anyone else to keep stuff off the
                  list. This means, for instance:

                  -- If there is inaccurate scheduling info for Irish
                  dance classes in Lubbock, that is the responsibility
                  of the dance school, which means it's my and my wife's
                  fault for not keeping up with it. Not Chris's. Not
                  anybody else's.

                  -- If the Amarillo festival wasn't mentioned,
                  that's not because Chris is keeping it off, nor is it
                  his responsibility to make sure it's on there. The
                  organizers and/or participants can post it anytime
                  they want.

                  -- If Chris has stuff he wants to post here, of
                  course he should do it. Lots of people are interested
                  in where he and/or Last Night's Fun are performing,
                  what they're doing. Lots of people will buy his CDs.
                  Etc. There is no reason in the world for him to avoid
                  posting his own stuff because other people aren't
                  posting theirs.

                  In short--and please, somebody, correct me if I'm
                  wrong about this--Chris isn't, and shouldn't be, under
                  any obligation to keep up with anybody else's stuff.
                  The absence of other people's stuff on this list is
                  not an indication of anything other than having more
                  to do than to keep up with everybody else's schedule.
                  Or at least I don't think so.

                  I mean, the guy runs the list in addition to
                  everything else that's going on. Plenty good enough
                  for me.

                  3. Some of the people on this list probably are aware
                  of occasionally snippiness or disagreements that go
                  further than they probably should, things like that.
                  Damn artist-musicians, I swear. (Fortunately, I
                  myself have never ever gotten my back up over stuff
                  that wasn't worth it. Hmm-mm.) But whatever
                  occasional disagreements have happened, the big
                  picture is that Irish music around here absolutely,
                  positively would not be what it is right now without
                  Chris and a bunch of people who have learned from him
                  at slow sessions and elsewhere.

                  What's more, if you talk to some of the people who go
                  out of town to sessions, they'll tell you that the
                  level of musicianship here, especially considering it
                  started widely about six years ago at most, is pretty
                  remarkable. Other musicians here have dropped in on
                  sessions in, for instance, Houston and New York State
                  (speaking for two members of Tripping), and they
                  couldn't match what was here. Not to say you couldn't
                  find a killer session in New York or Houston; of
                  course you could. But the point is, not _all_ of them
                  are even as good as ours. For the population here,
                  we're in notably good shape, and nobody has had a
                  bigger part in that than Chris Smith.

                  I mean, seriously: Last night, I played with Roan
                  Inish at Marc Mason Harper's memorial open-mike thing
                  at the Spoon; we had played at a benefit thing for him
                  at Bash Riprock's back in July (I think), and we're
                  also playing at a genealogical society thing on Friday
                  night. Tripping just played in Amarillo, and we
                  played at Sugar Brown's before that, and probably will
                  again. LNF is wherever, doing whatever they do;
                  they've always got bookings one place or another, both
                  in town and out of town. Even in Ireland, for God's
                  sakes. So what's going on here? Between LNF,
                  Tripping, Roan Inish, and County Hockley--however you
                  assess the relative value of those groups, however
                  fledgling or advanced they might be--there are four
                  bands playing this kind of music regularly around here
                  these days. Four. Somebody's doing something right.
                  Yeah, some of us were playing before Chris got here,
                  doing the best we could, and even doing OK at times.
                  But nothing like since Chris came. It would be
                  completely wrong to understate the value of what he
                  has meant to this community. I could not be more
                  serious about this. This is obvious to the point of
                  being self-evident.

                  4. I'm personally thrilled to have Chris plugging his
                  stuff on the list, because I don't see any of this as
                  a zero-sum thing. It's not like if he does well,
                  somebody else suffers; in fact, it's the opposite.
                  The more interest is created, the more everybody
                  benefits. I hope you sell a million copies, Chris.
                  I'm serious about that. I wish we had our own CD to
                  put out there. (Anybody wanna advance-order, we'll
                  take the cash. Just call me personally.)

                  5. As for the stuff posted on Chris's website, I have
                  found that pretty much unfailingly useful, which is
                  why I posted a thank-you a couple of weeks ago to one
                  in particular that I thought was very good for
                  harmonists like guitar players and such. If I knew a
                  beginning guitarist (even more beginning than me, I
                  mean), that's where I'd point 'em. That, and his book
                  on accompanying melody players. (That one's on
                  Amazon, or was last time I looked.)

                  Not all of the above is addressing anything
                  specifically from anybody's previous post. Some of it
                  is just stuff that needs to be said. And none of it
                  is intended to piss anybody off; all of it _is_
                  intended to move away from contentiousness and from
                  the idea that we're in some kind of competition.

                  Steve Finley (pints all around, but you pay)

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Clint Boal