Outboard Replacement

  • kcardwell20
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10 5:50 PM
      We want to replace the original two-stroke Johnson 9.9 with a remote
      control four-stroke - strongly considering the Yamaha High Thrust 8.
      Has anyone done this and what motor and modifications were involved?
      Thanks, Ken and Kris Cardwell
      full mOOn
      '93 wing keel #284
      Northern California
    • dellandanpries
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31 5:26 PM
        --- In capri26@yahoogroups.com, "kcardwell20" <cardwells20@...> wrote:

        > We want to replace the original two-stroke Johnson 9.9 with a remote
        > control four-stroke - strongly considering the Yamaha High Thrust 8.
        > Has anyone done this and what motor and modifications were
        involved?
        > Thanks, Ken and Kris Cardwell
        > full mOOn
        > '93 wing keel #284
        > Northern California

        We have a yamaha 9.9 outboard on Caudillo. Works great. Mounted on
        the existing standard outboard bracket without modification. The
        yamaha has a detachable tiller which is the remote and I mounted this
        to the port side stern rail seat. The factory electric starter button
        is on the face of the motor, so I wired in a parallel button to the
        remote location. This gives us throttle, forward/neutral/reverse, and
        kill switch on the tiller and start on the button I added all from
        the port stern rail. Frankly I have had good luck with all brands of
        outboards if they were put in good order, but I especially like this
        yamaha. The only mod I have left to make is to add a fuel shut off
        valve between the tank and motor. The tank is a bit higher than the
        motor, so fuel delivery is good, but with the motor tilted up for
        sailing the float in the carb is shifted to vertical and may not
        properly close off fuel flow at rest such that fuel could gravity
        flow from tank to motor, through carb and either flood engine or
        spill. presently I simply step back on the swim platform and
        disconnet the fuel hose when I tilt the motor up, and reconnect it
        when putting the motor back in service position, but I think a simple
        small valve on the front motor frame would make this a more secure
        and workmanlike setup. The four stroke is great, quiet and fuel
        efficient.