Re: [capri26] Sails and sail maker

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6 2:30 PM
      Re: [capri26] Sails and sail maker On 6/24/07 11:42 PM, "Jim Long" <longjim@...> wrote:

      I should have listened to your sage advice Mr. Unkle for this weekend,  in 20-25kts,  I tore my main along the reef line.     Oh well, there goes my almost 20 year old sail.      (Lesson learned – Listen to the weather report BEFORE going out).    There was a small craft advisory at Point Heuneme (That’s up by Santa Barbara) but I never thought that it would reach all the way down to San Diego Bay.  (The whitecaps were about 3-5’ high in the South Bay! )          SO,  long story short,   all of this sail replacement talk turns out to be prophetically timely.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6 2:36 PM
        Re: [capri26] We found a new sail On 6/25/07 4:33 PM, "Mary Kinnunen and Jeff Eaton" <iceout@...> wrote:

        I contacted Ullman Sails in CA (we were told at our marina that they
        made the Capri's original sails) via two emails and one phone message.
        No reply. So I called one of the lofts. A young child answered and said
        his father was "busy." Having owned a business with a small child in
        tow I get it. But I moved on and found Scott  Gibbs at the Ullman
        Chesapeake Bay loft. I faxed him the measurements we took on the boat
        rigging and hardware and he got back to me two hours later with a
        quote. We now have a new Genoa ordered to be shipped NEXT WEEK for
        $1117. 80. 135%, UV protection, made to fit our CDI 6 furler.

        I got a couple quotes from other companies but the prices were higher
        or the sails were not US-made or the turnaround time was longer.

        In the meantime, we had our original, torn sail patched with new Dacron
        and re-sewed for $135 at our local canvas repair shop so we'll have a
        good backup. The seamstress said some of the thread had "rotted." Our
        main was replaced in 1999 so we should be in good shape sail-wise...

        Thanks all for your help!

        Mary and Jeff
        Revision

        Mary:
            When I visited Catalina factory many moons ago, they had their own sail loft. Glad you got a replacement in such short order.