Re: [capri26] our genoa is a goner

  • Mary Kinnunen and Jeff Eaton
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 17, 2007
      Well, if a few of us are ready to buy new sails perhaps we could
      contact a company such as Ullman Sails that Ted mentioned and see if we
      can get a deal!

      Jim, we use a CDI Flexible Furler 4/6 with a 150% Genoa. The boat came
      equipped with 4 winches and we typically use the ones aft.

      Thanks everyone for your replies. Good to know our pain may spur others
      to action.

      Mary

    • Stan Buck
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 18, 2007

        I too am in the market for a new furling genoa – in fact I have a quote on a “kit” from SailRite (www.sailrite.com) for $500 but then I’m going to have to pay someone around $400+ to sew it together!

        align=baseline>

            Stan Buck

            Pastor, Sonrise Church

            www.sonriseumc.org

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 18, 2007
          On 6/17/07 1:23 PM, "Mary Kinnunen and Jeff Eaton" <iceout@...>
          wrote:

          > Hey Bob,
          >
          > Love the measurements but help me out. Our boat is equipped with a 4/6
          > CDI Flexible Furler with a 150% genoa. Are the dimensions you gave good
          > for a furler system? Will give the Strictly Sail Inc folks a call first
          > thing tomorrow.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Mary
          >

          > PS. Jeff is my husband. I haven't dated a Bob in a long time.
          >
          > On Jun 17, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Bob Unkel wrote:
          >
          >> Mary and Bob:
          >>
          >> I took your recent information and used it for the next Tech Article.
          >> Attached is copy of the draft sent to the Mainsheet. I also added the
          >> photo Bob sent of his new mainsail. Nice job!!
          >>
          >> Thanks for all your input!!
          >>
          >> Regards,
          >>
          >> Bob Unkel
          >>

          >> On 6/16/07 6:29 PM, "mkinnunen1957" <iceout@...> wrote:
          >>

          >>> Hello All,
          >>>
          >>> Our genoa is on the way to the seamstress for repair of a big old
          >>> rip along the leech and
          >>> into the fabric. Seems as though we'll be limping along with it even
          >>> after repair.
          >>>
          >>> Can anyone suggest where we might find a new sail fast and
          >>> reasonably priced? Even a
          >>> good used sail will work.
          >>>
          >>> Thanks!
          >>>
          >>> Mary and Jeff
          >>> Revision
          >>>

          >> <C 26 Tech Article Jun 07.doc>
          Mary and Jeff:

          I have no information about our furling system. My thought is that the
          dimensions will be less for the Luff dimension as the furling gear (the drum
          and the upper bearing) takes up some of the same luff space. I suspect you
          will have to provide a measured dimension to the sailmaker. I know when I
          bought my sails from North that I had to provide actual dimensions. Since
          you also have furling system the luff cannot have the traditional sail
          hanks.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 18, 2007
            Re: [capri26] our genoa is a goner Jim:
                We only have the two cabin top winches on Impulsive. I use a snatch block attached to the forward post of the stern pulpit, mine has a small bail welded to the bottom of it. I also installed a 6 foot length of track on the deck just where it makes the transition from the cabin to the deck. You don’t need a second set of winches to fly a Genoa, just the track.
                Thanks for the suggestion for an article. I will take some more pictures and use it for a future article.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 25, 2007
                I bought a 150% two years ago from North Sails. The service was good
                but I do not know if it was worth the extra money. All the North
                sails (execpt racing sails)are made at one loft out of the country.
                My leech was blown out also.