RE: [capri26] Batteries Batteries

  • Jim Long
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2010

      Bruce,

      I bought two Westmarine 84Ah Gel-Cells in 2002.   One just went bad.   I’ll likely replace them with the same battery as I got at least 4 days out of them without running the portable generator or plugging in.    (That’s a movie every night, and all the lights on).   Plus the Auto pilot and VHF.

      By the way, I made it all the way out to SD with the trailer, only to be foiled by a problem back here in Tucson.    The marina there sux now as they closed the little store to make storage lockers, and all my friends have moved out.

      SO,

      I’ll get the bottom painted with Lake paint, get the boat yard to crane down the mast and drop her on the trailer and home she’ll come for a much needed Refit.

      My current Interstate batteries are 8-10 years old and they are ready for replacement. It has 1 starting/deep cycle & 1 deep cycle.

      What combination of batteries do you use? The Catalina built battery box holds 2 group 24 batteries. Do you use 2 deep cycles, 1 deep cycle & 1 starting, 1 starting/deep cycle & 1 deep cycle?? Has anyone modified the battery box to increase battery capabilities?

      Have a great New Year!!!

      Splets
      Satin Sheets #148
      Roosevelt Lake, AZ

    • Bruce

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2010
          Thanks for the info and good luck!!

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2010
            When I first replaced the stock Catalina batteries, I replaced them with Delco Marine Deep Cycle batteries that were sealed and maintenance free. (Engineers at GM tech center told me that they were the only ones on the market that were truly sealed and maintenance free.)

            When those gave out after 9 years, I tried to buy Delco sealed batteries again, but while they claimed they are maintenance free, they are no longer sealed. I bought Delco again and we will see if they don't require water. I will check them again in the spring to determine their status. I keep them on the boat all the time as they are a royal pain to get in and out. This was also one of the reasons  I liked the sealed battery. I have always used marine deep cycle batteries for both of them. I also switch batteries ( #1 versus #2)I am using based on even/odd day of the month so they both get used about the same amount.

            Best wishes to all for a Happy Healthy Prosperous New Year filled with a lot of boat time!!

          • capri26owner@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2010
              I have one starting/deep cycle wet cell (Sam's Club brand) which I reserve for engine starts and one Optima AGM (dual purpose marine) which I use for the house battery.  Both are group 24 batteries. Our marina does not have shore power so I have a 7-watt solar panel to keep the AGM fresh (this requires a voltage regulator). The Optima battery was twice the price as the wet cell but is great battery. It can take a deeper discharge and is quick to charge from the alternator. I've only had the Optima for two seasons, if I can get another 4-5, I'll consider it worth the extra cost.  I also pull both batteries and place them on a trickle charger over the winter. There is no quicker way to kill a battery than to let it discharge over the winter months.

              Mark
              OASIS, #296
              Dayton, OH